media, adds : alternates ways to sell music?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 09-20-2016, 09:19 AM   #1
lucky one
IDMf Artist
lucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MC
Liège
MC Status: 1900278
Icon5 media, adds : alternate ways to sell music?

My wife says I should try to sell my music to be used in media or adds.

I have no idea if this is a realistic idea and what is the best way to proceed.
I guess this is isn't an easy process.

Does anyone has any experience with this?

Thanks!

Luc

Advertisements

------------------
lucky one - Atmospheric Electronica & ChillOut - Facebook - SoundCloud - Spotify
lucky one is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 07:01 PM   #2
lolirl
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744001541
Thanked 6,682 Times in 4,183 Posts
Re: media, adds : alternates ways to sell music?

Ask your wife since she has all the good ideas.

TBH I don't think it really works like that.
When was the last time you heard a piece of unknown music by an unknown artist in an ad?
It's often a 2 way association that they're looking for and unless you have something to bring them they might aswell just get the intern to knock something up that they can use for free.

If that's a route that interests you, then you should think about making beds for radio and stuff like that and work your way up when you have a portfolio of work to show people.

There is no quick way in, otherwise everybody here would be doing it.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 08:20 PM   #3
D42K732202
IDMf Supporter
D42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8010

record it on tapes and sell it from minivan

------------------
sent from another world
------------------
D42K732202 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to D42K732202
chasedobson (09-21-2016)
Old 09-20-2016, 10:17 PM   #4
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8504580
Thanked 6,273 Times in 4,501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
Ask your wife since she has all the good ideas.

TBH I don't think it really works like that.
When was the last time you heard a piece of unknown music by an unknown artist in an ad?
It's often a 2 way association that they're looking for and unless you have something to bring them they might aswell just get the intern to knock something up that they can use for free.

If that's a route that interests you, then you should think about making beds for radio and stuff like that and work your way up when you have a portfolio of work to show people.

There is no quick way in, otherwise everybody here would be doing it.
I think there was an "indie" rock band that had their first hit theough a car ad in the past five years...really cant even guess at their name tbh...also could be totally wrong

but yea...usually brands want name recognition from the song, so unknowns dont work well for that

mobile game start ups are probably a better bet

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 11:04 PM   #5
lucky one
IDMf Artist
lucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MClucky one is a savage MC
Liège

Ah ah, thank you all for your clear answers

I should just enjoy the idea that my wife thinks I can do money with my music!
I guess my music must have convinced her in some way, and that's a big win after all these years, lol

There are indeed some urban legends telling about some unknown artists being known through an ad. I guess there are also some professional writing only for media and ads. I also heard that there some companies collecting and selling music for that purpose.

But you must be right, it certainly works as usually, you have to slowly build a network to get somewhere.
And I'm sure I don't want to focus all my energy on that kind of goal!

Luc

------------------
lucky one - Atmospheric Electronica & ChillOut - Facebook - SoundCloud - Spotify
Thanks to lucky one
relic (09-21-2016)
Old 09-21-2016, 12:11 AM   #6
FunkMasterBrown
Bastard!!!IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222279284
Thanked 2,562 Times in 1,710 Posts

you can get your music on adverts man you dont need to be famous. Not just adverts but promotional videos companies do on youtube and all sorts of other things. You need to join a sync service. There are basic ones where you upload some tunes and random companies might listen through them and want to use them for something or there are more prestigious ones with a smaller more selected catalogue. There are all sorts of different services. Some record labels put all their effort into trying to get their music synced. Lots of tracks get massive popularity from adverts and the artists can have careers off it. If I was at a computer if post the numerous examples I can think of from the top of my head. There you go

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 12:42 AM   #7
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45933731
Thanked 5,511 Times in 3,486 Posts

Dress up in a cartoon dog suit and do a dance on the corner holding a large sign with your album cover plastered on it. NAME YOUR PRICE!
Numerical is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 08:09 AM   #8
lolirl
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC

Sorry, didn't mean to be Debbie Downer, just want people to be realistic.
Waiting for those links FMB.
I'm going to go and work really hard on my tunes in the hope that
Quote:
random companies might listen through them and want to use them
Old 09-21-2016, 08:56 AM   #9
rewir3d
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
rewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MC
Anal Leakage SJW 2016
MC Status: 3062919

This was taken from a conversation I had with a fella that makes a living off of selling to ads, tv, films, etc.

First step: Register yourself with a Performing Rights Organization as a composer. This is free. BMI and ASCAP are the two largest organizations. You want to go with either of these two because they are the largest non-profit organizations with a significant amount of influence. They basically send teams of people to venues, nightclubs, hotels, airlines, radio, tv, film etc... and force them to pay for playing music that have been written by composers/authors registered under them. If nightclubs don't pay for a blanket umbrella license, they could be shut down...legally. That's how powerful these organizations are. And when you register with them, they are working for you.

Second step: Create a publishing company under BMI or ASCAP. They will tell you if the name of your company is available or if it is already taken. There is a fee for this but it is a one-time set-up fee (not an annual fee). It is worth it because without your own publishing company, TV/films won't deal with you. Legally, they can't deal with you. The other option is to go under an established publishing company as a songwriter, sign a contract where you split the residuals. Some established publishing companies have songwriters on salary. But these days, these types of gigs are hard to get.

Third step: Register your songs with the library of congress as a PA and SR Copyright. This costs $70 to do online (for both copyrights) but you can upload your songs (no more mailing and going to the post office). I suggest waiting until you have a complete album and submit as a catalog (way less expensive than submitting each song individually).

Fourth step: Once all of this is done, you are ready to promote yourself. You are going to want to reach various advertising agencies. Depending on where you live... LA, NYC and Nashville are the main markets so you can physically go into many of these agencies and networks and "make nice with the secretaries". You can also talk to the writers, production assistants and basically anyone on the set who can get your music into the hands of the music supervisor (who you will most likely not be able to contact directly). You can hire a lawyer to do this for you as well.. but this will cost you money. You can also talk to people right out of film school who are interning on the sets of tv shows/films. Talk to the steadi-cam operator. These are the behind the scenes people who can get your music into the right hands. Even the security guards are worth talking to, giving them CDs etc... you never know who they know.
rewir3d is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 08:58 AM   #10
rewir3d
rewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MC
Anal Leakage SJW 2016

Good conversation but I did not try any of this myself lol. Sounds like too much legwork for little reward to me! That is why I work a normal ass job and audio as a hobby instead
Thanks to rewir3d
lolirl (09-21-2016)
Old 09-21-2016, 11:04 AM   #11
FunkMasterBrown
Bastard!!!IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC

Quote:
I'm going to go and work really hard on my tunes in the hope that.
go and fuck yourself man

------------------
Old 09-21-2016, 07:23 PM   #12
lolirl

Old 09-21-2016, 08:17 PM   #13
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 154110
Thanked 3,082 Times in 2,294 Posts

Some solid common sense advice right from the horse's mouth - http://www.bmi.com/news/entry/10_thi...v_and_in_films

If what FMB is referring to is Music Licensing, then here's a few links, though it's worth keeping in mind most of these..if not all..are going to charge you to upload your stuff with NO GUARANTEE of placement..in other words, you could end up spending a hell of a lot of money for nothing! So make sure you do your homework and choose wisely..

http://www.hitlicense.com/

http://zyncmusic.com/

http://www.youlicense.com/

http://thinksyncmusic.com/

http://www.broadjam.com/delivery/

http://www.filmmusic.net/

https://www.musicgorilla.com/

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 01:16 AM   #14
rewir3d
Anal Leakage SJW 2016

FMB never change dude

Yes, I too am waiting for random companies to listen through my work too. Fuck promotion! just sit back like a boss and get paid son!
Old 09-22-2016, 01:34 AM   #15
jimmusician
Deep Underground
jimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8448

Why not just create quality material and spam your link?
jimmusician is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to jimmusician
A.M (09-22-2016)
Old 09-22-2016, 04:02 AM   #16
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 41960

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky one View Post
Ah ah, thank you all for your clear answers

I should just enjoy the idea that my wife thinks I can do money with my music!
I guess my music must have convinced her in some way, and that's a big win after all these years, lol

There are indeed some urban legends telling about some unknown artists being known through an ad. I guess there are also some professional writing only for media and ads. I also heard that there some companies collecting and selling music for that purpose.

But you must be right, it certainly works as usually, you have to slowly build a network to get somewhere.
And I'm sure I don't want to focus all my energy on that kind of goal!

Luc
Well, my wife says the same thing to me. It makes me cringe.

What your wife is really saying is this:
What the fuck are you spending all this money for? What the hell are you spending hour after hour in this dank dark place? Is this gonna make some money or are you becoming a bum? I sure didn't marry some bum, so this had better pay off or go do something useful. Take the trash out while you're at it.

That or your wife is an A&R at some label, in which case you'd not post this here, you bum

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:05 AM   #17
FunkMasterBrown
Bastard!!!IDMf Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewir3d View Post
FMB never change dude

Yes, I too am waiting for random companies to listen through my work too. Fuck promotion! just sit back like a boss and get paid son!
haven't you spent the last decade working in a brick factory?? Youre like a fly that turns up every time a horse takes a shit. Wtf is wrong with you

------------------
Old 09-22-2016, 08:16 AM   #18
lucky one
IDMf Artist
Liège

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
Well, my wife says the same thing to me. It makes me cringe.

What your wife is really saying is this:
What the fuck are you spending all this money for? What the hell are you spending hour after hour in this dank dark place? Is this gonna make some money or are you becoming a bum? I sure didn't marry some bum, so this had better pay off or go do something useful. Take the trash out while you're at it.

That or your wife is an A&R at some label, in which case you'd not post this here, you bum
Ah ah, you must be right!

------------------
Old 09-22-2016, 08:23 AM   #19
rewir3d
Anal Leakage SJW 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkMasterBrown View Post
haven't you spent the last decade working in a brick factory?? Youre like a fly that turns up every time a horse takes a shit. Wtf is wrong with you
I just don't like the vague mis-information you spew. Also post all these multiple links?

Dude you have to license your shit and publish it then promote the fuck out of it to anyone and everyone. Also expect to do a ton of work for free until you make a name for yourself. Then maybe you have a tiny shot at making a career off it!
Thanks to rewir3d
FunkMasterBrown (09-22-2016)
Old 09-22-2016, 09:19 AM   #20
rewir3d
Anal Leakage SJW 2016

Quote:
I'm going to go and work really hard on my tunes in the hope that.
C'mon man, where is the happy endings?

Advertisements

Thanks to rewir3d
FunkMasterBrown (09-22-2016)