Old school samples needed
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 12-09-2016, 04:06 AM   #1
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 49110
Old school samples needed

I was listening to some of my favorite tracks, which include this one:

So, I know others here share that soft spot for Old School stuff. You know that tinge of 8bit samplers and analog waveforms. Now, what I'm looking for are sample packs that cover the classic synth sounds and some of the dirtier percussion. I'm all set on 808 and 909 stuff, but many of the synth sounds in that track above are in scope, as is all that good jungle and breakbeat stuff form the late 80s and early 90s. The stuff similar to Prodigy - Charlie.

Can someone please send me to outer space?

I found some nice ones in a sample pack on Beatport, but it was more old school house, and that isn't quite what I'm looking for, but it could be co-opted. Commercial sample packs would be ok, doesn't have to be free.

Advertisements

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: N-joi - Malfunction
Old 12-09-2016, 04:58 AM   #2
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
NewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MC
Texas
MC Status: 19360
Re: Old school samples needed

you sure samples are what you need? Why not get a free 303 vst or really any vst like massive that has gritty bass lines. Like I think a lot of this is like acidic distorted saw waves, and break beats. Mix that with 909s and a few melodic cuts you will do good. I'd recommend something like FM8 or Monark. I think if you have a vst like monark you can make most of those 90s jungle, acid, and underground techno sounds.

Sample packs idk prime loops probably has something, but I think you'd be better off with a vst.

Also maybe just making like some synth metallic hats, and deep sub kicks with some vst might also be helpful.

------------------
NewWorldOrder is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 06:47 AM   #3
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644118
Thanked 4,897 Times in 3,160 Posts

Behold...

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

If that's the kind of thing you're looking for at least. One of the few packs I've gone back and back to over the years. Going to grab it again now actually.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 08:30 AM   #4
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 17860

Last edited by joem; 12-09-2016 at 08:36 AM..
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 11:51 AM   #5
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 49110

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWorldOrder View Post
you sure samples are what you need? Why not get a free 303 vst or really any vst like massive that has gritty bass lines. Like I think a lot of this is like acidic distorted saw waves, and break beats. Mix that with 909s and a few melodic cuts you will do good. I'd recommend something like FM8 or Monark. I think if you have a vst like monark you can make most of those 90s jungle, acid, and underground techno sounds.

Sample packs idk prime loops probably has something, but I think you'd be better off with a vst.

Also maybe just making like some synth metallic hats, and deep sub kicks with some vst might also be helpful.
Yeah, I get you. And I have and use all of the above, but for several reasons I'd like to complement that with samples. Primarily to feed it into hardware as sample sets.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 10:03 PM   #6
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world
MC Status: 1831027

Now you're talking my genre and club daze

Checkout the following, may have you covered for some of what you're after:

OOps jsut seen joems got it covered

Got to say this was in my dj set most nights [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
mixes so well with [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
MFXxx is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2016, 02:09 AM   #7
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 17860

if you want midis
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2016, 02:59 AM   #8
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8523830
Thanked 6,658 Times in 4,748 Posts

I thought I posted this idea...but I have just been recording things off youtube...in some cases playing it on my ipad and recording from the microphone noise and all. Works fine for one shots and gives that dirty vibe.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
liquid_air (21-09-2016)
Old 21-09-2016, 10:28 AM   #9
SMHERTZ_Music
Granular Poster
SMHERTZ_Music is a splendid one to beholdSMHERTZ_Music is a splendid one to beholdSMHERTZ_Music is a splendid one to beholdSMHERTZ_Music is a splendid one to beholdSMHERTZ_Music is a splendid one to beholdSMHERTZ_Music is a splendid one to behold
Italy - UK
MC Status: 660

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
... that dirty vibe.
Hey there, maybe this can be useful for you, it's a sample pack I did to faithfully recreate the sound of breakbeats that made old school HipHop so great. It sounds good to me, if you want to give it a chance here's the preview.

Btw, the sample pack is free

Advertisements

------------------
SMHERTZ_Music is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote