How to deal with haters?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 09-11-2016, 12:37 PM   #1
Mctoast
Savage Mad Cunt
Mctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MC
MC Status: 38797
How to deal with haters?

of course IDM isn't the most liked genre in the world, but noise and such are even less.

Whenever I play gigs at local bars and parties, there's a lot of people getting pissed off, complaining and threatening to beat me up outside or even during the gig. There's always people who find to your hidden invite only parties too, who only like house and are piss drunk and pissed.

For feedback on more experimental music there isn't too many places either, I can't share any music in group chats or other forums.

Advertisements

------------------
Mctoast is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 12:40 PM   #2
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744011191
Thanked 6,875 Times in 4,284 Posts
Re: How to deal with haters?

Blame it on the promoter?
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 12:57 PM   #3
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 148360
Thanked 2,967 Times in 1,786 Posts

Don't piss people off at parties with no-fun music. Don't try to educate them. Make them dance and sing and horny and fuck.

Noise? At a party? Are you fucking kidding? No shit they get annoyed...

A dj insisting on showing off how an artsy chap he is is like... shit. "It's my paaarty and I'll cry if I want to cryyy if I want toooo..."

It's not your party.
thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to thom
RFJ (09-11-2016)
Old 09-11-2016, 01:06 PM   #4
Mctoast
Savage Mad Cunt
Mctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MC

I mean I was booked to play that stuff so...

------------------
Thanks to Mctoast
lolirl (09-11-2016)
Old 09-11-2016, 01:13 PM   #5
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 80988730
Thanked 3,970 Times in 2,579 Posts

you could try handing out earplugs to everyone so they're warned something noisy is on its way

------------------
( o)<
|vv|
Lug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 01:18 PM   #6
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269445608
Thanked 2,440 Times in 1,664 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mctoast View Post
I mean I was booked to play that stuff so...
If you were booked to play that stuff then Lolirl is right, blame the promoter and get him involved, let him handle that shit

------------------
Automageddon is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 01:21 PM   #7
jimmusician
Deep Underground
jimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8598

Keep going, establish yourself as a regular, release music.
jimmusician is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 01:23 PM   #8
Narukami Music
Soundscaper
Narukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 9260

Hmm, strange how people booked you to play noise at a party and people in the crowd yelling at you about it.

It must be quite scary getting threats like that. You should talk to the venue owner or the host and ask them to get your back if shit goes down.

Worst comes to worst, if a majority of the crowd look like they're not having fun, try playing some top 40 stuff and watch their reaction. Perhaps it's not what the owner/host wanted but it's definitely what the crowd wants.

------------------
Narukami Music is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 02:06 PM   #9
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 44910

It's really bad to see such erosion of basic civility. While probably not worded in the most emphatic manner, thom does have a point. If your audience ends up not liking what you do, you have few options. Basically change or stop what you're doing. Sorry you had that happen.

On a more general note, though, the more particular your musical interests, the fewer your options to find like/open minded people.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 02:11 PM   #10
Mctoast
Savage Mad Cunt

I only do live stuff with hardware, idk how to DJ.
I'm a regular name, but some people expect happy hardcore on an abstract ug speedcore event.
it's mostly one or two people who dislike it.
people come to hear the stuff I do, not going to play house to them.

Harder ug events are hardly held, if some people don't like it, they have parties literally every weekend to go to hear their music while we can't.
on genre free events, the idea is to hear something new, if you came there expecting it has only deep house, you're in the wrong house, not me.

I had a gig I had to stop yesterday that many did like, but because of one person yelling and later coming to the stage I had to stop. I'm not a violent guy and I don't yell back at people.
it was also a genre free gig, it was advertised as such, said in the name too and it showed I was going to play noisy shit in the poster.

Last edited by Mctoast; 09-11-2016 at 02:16 PM..

------------------
Old 09-11-2016, 02:29 PM   #11
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 80988730
Thanked 3,970 Times in 2,579 Posts

that sounds crazy. People coming up on stage in the middle of your gig is something the promoter should be prepared for. If his audience starts doing dumb shit, he should be taking care of it. Or get security. I've never seen that happen at a music show, that's crazy. I mean, hecklers yes but that is something else. Anyway, does genre-free night means it's some kind of an open-mic night? if it does, you can kinda expect some people to come to this kind of event not knowing what they're going to see, and still complain that they didn't like it. It happens in all sorts of shows. Probably even happens to professional musicians headlining a show. Maybe think of it as a normal process that will lead you to getting your own gigs and having more people who are familiar with your stuff coming (and more people who dislike it avoiding you)

------------------
( o)<
|vv|
Lug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 03:23 PM   #12
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 44910

Quote:
I'm a regular name, but some people expect happy hardcore on an abstract ug speedcore event.

Harder ug events are hardly held, if some people don't like it, they have parties literally every weekend to go to hear their music while we can't.
on genre free events, the idea is to hear something new, if you came there expecting it has only deep house, you're in the wrong house, not me.

I had a gig I had to stop yesterday that many did like, but because of one person yelling and later coming to the stage I had to stop. I'm not a violent guy and I don't yell back at people.
it was also a genre free gig, it was advertised as such, said in the name too and it showed I was going to play noisy shit in the poster.
I'd say the proper response here would be: fuck that guy. Learn some Karate?

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 04:12 PM   #13
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7236379

Quote:
Whenever I play gigs at local bars and parties, there's a lot of people getting pissed off, complaining and threatening to beat me up outside or even during the gig. There's always people who find to your hidden invite only parties too, who only like house and are piss drunk and pissed.

For feedback on more experimental music there isn't too many places either, I can't share any music in group chats or other forums.
For the record, I've bitched about Finland hating all music that doesn't consist of loud distorted guitars on these forums before. This is the crap I mean when I talk about that shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post
If you were booked to play that stuff then Lolirl is right, blame the promoter and get him involved, let him handle that shit
Considering that the crowds in most places in Finland usually consist of people who are drunk as fuck, on a random coctail of drugs and are not the kind of people who would have regrets if they beat someone up in the line of the hotdog stand ("turpiin nakkijonossa" is a well-respected Finnish tradition.) outside the bar, getting the police involved whenever you receive a physical threat is probably a better idea. Assuming you play noise, this will be every single time, so you might as well notify the police in advance that you intend to get beaten up.

And if somehow your music can be construed as "gay" (which anything these people do not like is by definition), you might as well call the ambulance while you're at it, because the perussuamalaispojat will have come prepared with knives to deal with sexual insolents such as yourself, since obviously playing music they can't understand is a plan by the ISIS to infiltrate Finland and steal their jobs, their women, their apartments and their diapers*.

*: Likely not the actual train of thought. I do not claim to understand those people, and i find it dubious they think to begin with.

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 04:43 PM   #14
jimmusician
Deep Underground
jimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8598

Sounds like you need really raw distorted guitar you can then push to noise with additional layers of distortion. Oh, and whistling feedback, sorta like Magrüdergrind pushes
https://youtu.be/0_YVkGeY-q0

And put a guitar strap on a keyboard, any kind, really, to try and put some realism into it.
jimmusician is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 04:49 PM   #15
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744011191
Thanked 6,875 Times in 4,284 Posts

I've had friends booked to play dnb in another country only for it to dawn on them when they arrived at the venue that it's a breaks night...so what to do? Play the set at half speed? Fuck that! Let it roll, play what you're expected to play, what your name is known for, whatever that is.

Also, I've seen a guy come up to our singer and grab her foot while we were playing...that's a really good way to get a kick in the face and ejected from the building. What's that? You don't like our band and you want the headline band to come out and play, what are you like 5 years old and I'm your mummy? Fuck off, no you can't have a refund, you're not entitled to one, read the back of the ticket.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 04:52 PM   #16
Narukami Music
Soundscaper
Narukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 9260

Quote:

This clears things up a lot. People probably misunderstood your OP, which is why they responded the way they did.

But yeah, that's pretty fucking wild though. Can't believe some guy was being so dickish that it forced you to stop the show. Didn't anyone stop him? I'd at least expect the crowd to do something when it got to that point.

Does this happen often? If so, you really need to ask for security or something, next time. You shouldn't stop performing because some asshole didn't like the music you played.

------------------
Narukami Music is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Narukami Music
lolirl (09-11-2016)
Old 09-11-2016, 05:09 PM   #17
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8514530
Thanked 6,472 Times in 4,626 Posts

That's utter bullshit man. I'd really get with the promoter and venue owner and come up with a plan to deal with this if it is happening so often. And not that I hang out with violent people, but my local weekly usually ends up being held either in a Top 40 club or a "bro bar" and we have had to deal with situations like this before. Usually the whole crowd just stands up to the one or two problem people and we get them to leave.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 05:29 PM   #18
D42K732202
IDMf Supporter
D42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8060

most people confuse negative criticism with hate

------------------
sent from another world
------------------
D42K732202 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 05:34 PM   #19
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8514530
Thanked 6,472 Times in 4,626 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by D42K732202 View Post
most people confuse negative criticism with hate
In what world is some drunk asshole yelling at a performer to get off the stage "negative criticism"?

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
Numerical (09-11-2016)
Old 09-11-2016, 05:43 PM   #20
Mctoast
Savage Mad Cunt

Yeah I should have specified a bit more.

Majority of people here go to bars just to start a fight and people actually get killed here too because of it., I've seen dead people and completely kicked in faces.

Most places don't have guards or other staff and especially not in parties hosted by the artists themselves.

Advertisements

------------------