Has anyone here used Facebook ads?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 07-09-2016, 08:09 PM   #1
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45941381
Thanked 5,664 Times in 3,570 Posts
Has anyone here used Facebook ads?

I boosted one of my band's posts last night on Facebook. I just did a one day, $5 sponsored post. Not yet halfway through the day and about 2 bucks into the ad so far, according to what Facebook is telling me (and assuming they're not buttering up the numbers) we've got 517 views and 28 people engaged. I assume engaged means people who clicked the link. I targeted the ad for people living in the US and the UK, then targeted people who like our form of music.

My question is, guys who are putting their music out on more than just IDMf and Soundcloud, have you used this method and has it given you a satisfactory result?

If we can get a broader promotion discussion going ITT I'm game for that. I've also got some points about putting my tunes up on YouTube that I want to go over but I'll wait until anyone chimes in first.

Advertisements

------------------
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 01:48 PM   #2
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644118
Thanked 4,897 Times in 3,160 Posts
Re: Has anyone here used Facebook ads?

No I've never used Facebook ads.
I'm posting because you said you had things to say about putting music on YouTube.
You also said you'd share those things when someone replied so...
There you go Mike, I'm interested.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to RFJ
Numerical (08-09-2016)
Old 08-09-2016, 07:41 PM   #3
candlesayshi
Imperfect
candlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 39280549
Thanked 1,160 Times in 747 Posts

I have. It's useful if you have some news that you really want people to know. Since otherwise, Facebook doesn't show your posts to everyone that follows you. But when you're just posting random things, it's kind of pointless. In general though, it doesn't really matter very much. Since most people, no matter how much they are into your music, are going to just look at it and scroll by anyway.

The whole "Facebook making you spend money to reach people that have chosen to want to keep up with what you're up to" kind of pisses me off a bit, to be honest.

------------------
candlesayshi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to candlesayshi
Numerical (08-09-2016)
Old 08-09-2016, 08:07 PM   #4
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin

Here are the results of my 1 day long ad which was just a YT video of one of our tunes

Code:
Content visible to registered users only.
Aside from mostly looking like mumbo jumbo, I can say we did get a whopping 1 new like overnight from someone who I have never seen before. I targeted the ad to people in two countries who liked our style of music. So essentially, I paid 5 bucks for one like. Whether that person is a real fan now or not is up in the air. Is it worth the money? I'm still not quite sure but maybe if I targeted different areas (Brasil seems to be a hot spot for my band as well as Syria and Germany) it might do better. I'm thinking of trying it again in a few weeks but using a different target area and interest. Still kinda leaning toward this not making as much difference in gathering fans as just doing some internet leg work and promoting via forums and facebook groups.

Thanks for responding, guys. I was thinking this was dead in the water. I'll go into the YouTube stuff after I've had some time to test my latest video out for a bit. I've followed some of their guidelines in posting videos that are supposed to help get views, and I'm comparing two of my videos to see if anything is different afa views.

------------------
Old 08-09-2016, 08:15 PM   #5
candlesayshi
Imperfect
candlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MC
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numerical View Post
I've followed some of their guidelines in posting videos that are supposed to help get views, and I'm comparing two of my videos to see if anything is different afa views.
Upload it and use Facebook's own video player instead of a YouTube link. Facebook skews reach to favor their own player to the detriment of a YouTube embed.

------------------
Old 08-09-2016, 08:17 PM   #6
GomesR
IDMf Supporter
GomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MC
MC Status: 70474
Thanked 1,158 Times in 710 Posts

Yes, used them for the last business, pretty good results according to fresh customers, although there was a far larger number through "people reached". Maybe the numbers are a bit misleading, maybe not.

------------------
GomesR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 10:11 PM   #7
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by candlesayshi View Post
Upload it and use Facebook's own video player instead of a YouTube link. Facebook skews reach to favor their own player to the detriment of a YouTube embed.
I actually just did that very thing last week. Haven't seen the numbers there but I'm more interested in the "engaged" part and what it really means. Of course numbers aren't the goal here, just getting the name out there and the music in people's ears but I suppose it's a necessity in marketing your tunes these days to look at charts and graphs...oh, being a musician in modern times!

------------------
Thanks to Numerical
vashima (08-09-2016)
Old 08-09-2016, 11:09 PM   #8
White Noise
Deep Underground
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 18660

Quote:
I suppose it's a necessity in marketing your tunes these days to look at charts and graphs...oh, being a musician in modern times!
This and the fact that I'm three months from graduating is why I still take business school seriously even though I'm pretty sure I want to find a way to do music (or music-related business?) for a living instead.
White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 01:46 AM   #9
candlesayshi
Imperfect
Chicago

Quote:
I suppose it's a necessity in marketing your tunes these days to look at charts and graphs...oh, being a musician in modern times!
I guess. I kind of avoid doing a lot of promo stuff on Facebook, because it's so stacked against independent artists that it makes me feel really disenchanted with putting the effort into it despite the opportunity. However, yeah indeed.

------------------
Old 09-09-2016, 03:04 AM   #10
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Austin

I too, have avoided FB promo. In fact the vocalist in my band has been kicking my ass lately to start stepping up promo in lieu of the new album we've got. I always feel like such a shill doing shameless promo posts but I feel like that's the only way to get any fans going these days.

------------------
Old 17-10-2016, 04:40 PM   #11
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269450708
Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,722 Posts

I'm just trying a 1-week campaign across 5 countries, aimed at people liking particular music genres, with the aim to collect more "like" I'll report back.

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Automageddon
Numerical (17-10-2016)
Old 17-10-2016, 09:35 PM   #12
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Austin

I had the weirdest thing happen due to my "boosted" post. Seems like about 15 people of Arabic descent in countries I DIDN'T target in the ad liked the post. some of these profiles I would consider to be highly suspect for being at least distantly related to terrorist organizations judging from the way they appeared and photos they posted on their profiles. I may be off target here in my assessment but that kind of made me wonder how effective these FB ads really are and what in the name of FUCK they are doing when I purposely targeted my ad to areas like Sweden, Britain, Portugal, Italy, etc. European nations, ftmp. And to add to that, I targeted the ads to people who were fans of the style of music I play, which made the fact that so many Islamic (I might add highly religious) people liked the post. For whatever reason I can only guess to, they surely didn't even read the post or care what the subject matter was. I'm baffled, tbh. No idea. Anyone that wants to check this out for themselves, well here's the post:
https://www.facebook.com/sleepwalker...25365200941030

hopefully that link works but at any rate you can scroll down and find the first post with 20 likes and check out all of those people. Let me know what you think about it. I'm still trying to figure out what I did wrong or if i even did anything wrong in the ad settings. It's certainly not who I was targeting with the ad.

------------------
Old 17-10-2016, 10:46 PM   #13
White Noise
Deep Underground
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 18660

I'd ask Facebook about it if there's some system they have to go through. Say that this wasn't your target audience and you're worried that, because of a possible mishap on Facebook's end, you will not get the expected benefit from the ad. They might be willing to run another ad for free or give your money back so you can go put it somewhere that works. Otherwise, at the very least, I'd report this as an issue (I'm sure FB would be happy to file a report like Microsoft, Mozilla, etc. when their software crashes) and hope it gets fixed.
White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to White Noise
Numerical (17-10-2016)
Old 17-10-2016, 10:47 PM   #14
Metaside
Sample Destroyer
Metaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 5410

I think it's nothing to worry about, just some people liking your music:
- I didn't see any pics I would clearly link to terrorist organisations
- based on some pictures I suspect a lot of the profiles may belong to recent immigrants or refugees who are currently living in Europe (see for instance a guy from Damaskus now living in Sweden and another guy only writing in Arabic but living in Munich)

Maybe your music somehow just clicks with metal fans from middle eastern cultures

------------------
Metaside is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 11:32 PM   #15
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaside View Post
I think it's nothing to worry about, just some people liking your music:
- I didn't see any pics I would clearly link to terrorist organisations
- based on some pictures I suspect a lot of the profiles may belong to recent immigrants or refugees who are currently living in Europe (see for instance a guy from Damaskus now living in Sweden and another guy only writing in Arabic but living in Munich)

Maybe your music somehow just clicks with metal fans from middle eastern cultures
That's definitely a possibility. I do know we have a few big fans in Syria and Iran so it's not all that out of the ordinary but I though that the amount of Arabic people liking the post compared to say, actual Swedes, Dutch, etc. people was weird, like they all converged on that particular post specifically for some reason. Also bear in mind that none of these people actually liked our band page, so that's what made me suspect the ad going awry.

------------------
Old 18-10-2016, 02:09 AM   #16
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6899959
Thanked 3,415 Times in 2,065 Posts

I've used FB ads in a number of marketing exercises. It's no good if you're wanting to boost sales. But if you want to boost engagement on your social media accounts, it's great.

We dumped $150 into a campaign once and the likes went through the roof. Active views. Etc.

But... It didn't translate into sales.

Had we a bunch of content scheduled to go out over the coming days / weeks it probably would have been a great way to engage the audience and push them towards our products (in this case music) but we didn't because we were just trying it out.

Ultimately, if you're not going to be busting it to engage the audience via FB I don't think there's much value.

Also, likes, views, active users etc is all a bunch of bullshit. Take it with a grain of salt unless you have external data to correlate FB's reports - like product sales, website analytics etc.

------------------
For reference:
Quote:
Originally Posted by God*

satan = f i d
my master, my god, my lord and savior = f i d d y
my boner = f i d e l i u m

* I am not God.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2016, 04:07 AM   #17
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Austin

Yeah I agree, it just really seems to me like it's not worth it for purposes of selling products or merch but might be useful for announcements and maybe getting your like numbers up (which means jack shit irl). I've honestly had way more luck posting in forums and on fb groups that have to do with my specific genre, so far. if I was to advise anyone on how to make new fans, I'd have to say FB groups and using forums as the best way to go about it, although just spamming your tunes usually doesn't cut it as most of you guys already know. Forging relationships as networking, which I actually like better than paying a sum, seems to be the way to go even though it requires more finesse.

Advertisements

------------------