The dedicated iOS thread: best apps and production tips
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 08-28-2016, 05:02 PM   #1
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 42160
The dedicated iOS thread: best apps and production tips

All,

I know that many here have integrated an iPad into their setup and I am sure you all have some favorites when it comes to apps, best ways to integrate the iPad, using control surfaces, using the iPad to control hard and/or soft synths, and some other useful tips. So, let's start putting them together here.

A

Advertisements

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 06:43 PM   #2
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1526877
Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,150 Posts
Re: The dedicated iOS thread: best apps and production tips

I primarily use iPad for synths, my favorites are:

iSem by Arturia
Korg M1
and Vogel CMI (a Farlight CMI emulator)

I use an iConnect 4+ interface for all of my HW midi gear and use the USB port to send midi to iPad, as well as have build an Aggregated Device in MacOS to allow for use of both the iConnect and MOTU 828 simultaneously. I am able to sequence the iPad in Ableton and digitally track the audio output.

The only kicker is the latency, I just keep in mind that everything is going to track in a bit late, so i warp the first downbeat of whatever my sequence is to get it all back in line.

I started relying on the Korg M1 so much that I opted to buy the AU, it just made more sense for automation and instant recall of songs where I wasnt ready to commit my sequences to Audio.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 07:15 PM   #3
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 21360

I kinda have a 2 tier way of doing it.
1, use patterning to sequence drum apps (pretty much only ruismaker and ruismaker fm these days) and audiobus to keep it to play in time with link to gadget. I am also sequencing isem from patterning, all in AUM.
That will all eventually get sampled into the hardware.
Then 2 : sequence synths from mpc for now to go along with the mpc and octatrack.
Eventually I want to add more midi options so I can choose the sequence synths from any source (mpc, octatrack or live).
Best apps IMO:
Patterning
Both Ruismakers
iSEM
Animoog
Thor
iM1
Nave

A few more and a bunch of effects, mostly AUx effects.
I got cubasis but I find it is missing a few important things for me to really use a lot, mostly link sync right now.

------------------
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 07:40 PM   #4
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269443358
Thanked 2,395 Times in 1,638 Posts

I use Korg gadget a lot and ModStep is a brilliant midi sequencer.
My latest fun sampler is Strom for IPad, fast sampling, basic editing, slicing and a few playback options, ressmple and create new sounds immediately. Fastest shit ever. You can upgrade and send the samples straight to Analog Rytm, together with lots of editing functions but haven't gotten it yet.

------------------
Automageddon is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 07:46 PM   #5
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8507530
Thanked 6,332 Times in 4,545 Posts

At the moment I'm mostly using the iPad as a sampler/drum machine. I'm using patterning for drums and vocal chops. It is slaved to the A4 via MIDI and I'm using the keyboard buttons on the A4 as mute buttons for the mixer tracks in Patterning.

I like iM1 and Sunrizer (basic subtractive synth, but has really nice tone over all and low CPU usage). I have PPG Wave, but I honestly don't understand how to use it at all.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 04:02 PM   #6
SadSandwich
Minor Glitch
SadSandwich is a splendid one to beholdSadSandwich is a splendid one to beholdSadSandwich is a splendid one to beholdSadSandwich is a splendid one to beholdSadSandwich is a splendid one to beholdSadSandwich is a splendid one to beholdSadSandwich is a splendid one to behold
Plano, TX
MC Status: 760

I play with Soundprism a lot on my phone when I get a little free time at work. It's easy to mess around with melodic structures.

Advertisements

SadSandwich is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote