aDUCK
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 08-24-2016, 03:09 AM   #1
jVs
IDMf Supporter
jVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MC
Scruffy City
MC Status: 105314889
aDUCK

21 years ago today, the world lost a gem of an artist. Dewayne Rudolph Goettel is a huge inspiration to me as an artist. Without his contribution and amazing expression, I don't think Skinny Puppy would have become the staple that they are.

R.I.P Duckman DRG. You are only absent in body, Your legacy will always live on in those you have inspired.

Last edited by jVs; 08-24-2016 at 03:16 AM..

Advertisements

jVs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:17 PM   #2
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1524777
Thanked 1,731 Times in 1,128 Posts
Re: aDUCK

100% agree.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:17 PM   #3
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO

huge inspiration for the record i am currently working on in his work with later SP and Doubting Thomas.

------------------
Thanks to chasedobson
jVs (08-25-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 09:50 PM   #4
jVs
IDMf Supporter
jVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MC
Scruffy City

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedobson View Post
huge inspiration for the record i am currently working on in his work with later SP and Doubting Thomas.
Keep us posted about this release mr. Dobson! It still amazes me to see how many artists are inspired by his works with not only Skinny Puppy but as you mention the countless side projects he was involved with.
Another one of my personal favorite of mine was his work with Cyberaktif.

Old 08-25-2016, 10:13 PM   #5
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
Denver, CO

WIll do.

LOL there is a LOT of this vibe happening in this record. I'm really shooting to stick within the aesthetic of late 80's-early 90's industrial.

------------------
Old 08-25-2016, 10:33 PM   #6
jVs
IDMf Supporter
Scruffy City

Quote:
WIll do.

LOL there is a LOT of this vibe happening in this record. I'm really shooting to stick within the aesthetic of late 80's-early 90's industrial.
YYEESSSSSS!!!!!!! It's that aesthetic that encourages the progressive development and discovery of experimental sounds that make that era as inspirational as it was and is. Whats funny is I was just thinking to myself about how history is repeating itself with the insanity and political/civil divide, unrest and general fuckery that I imagine the 60's-70's carried. I believe that we are now in an era that artist are going to use the ability to reflect the times. Lets face it, The anger that inspired the Industrial Revolution is present today.
Thanks to jVs
chasedobson (08-25-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 10:39 PM   #7
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
Denver, CO

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

teaser.

------------------
Thanks to chasedobson
jVs (08-25-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 10:57 PM   #8
jVs
IDMf Supporter
Scruffy City

Did you record those synth strings to cassette? I love that thick analog tape saturation and until I'm told otherwise I refuse to believe it's a digital tape sim.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:16 PM   #9
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
Denver, CO

ha! no nothing like that.

the strings sound saturated because there is a layer of white noise that is lowpass filtered in there, i use SoundToys for a lot of my effects because they can be driven in different ways.

i may have used filterboy on the strings too... i forget.

------------------
Thanks to chasedobson
jVs (08-25-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 11:31 PM   #10
jVs
IDMf Supporter
Scruffy City

Quote:
ha! no nothing like that.

the strings sound saturated because there is a layer of white noise that is lowpass filtered in there, i use SoundToys for a lot of my effects because they can be driven in different ways.

i may have used filterboy on the strings too... i forget.
That makes sense and seems that it would be the obvious thing to do. I think my obsession with tape dubbing might be slightly more severe than I had previously thought. But its not just because I'm a slut with nostalgia, It just sounds that fucking good.
Thanks to jVs
chasedobson (08-25-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 11:47 PM   #11
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 20710

Quote:
Originally Posted by jVs View Post
That makes sense and seems that it would be the obvious thing to do. I think my obsession with tape dubbing might be slightly more severe than I had previously thought. But its not just because I'm a slut with nostalgia, It just sounds that fucking good.
Off topic but there's a thread about that on gs and all the "old school dudes" there say that tape was crap back then lol! In the end I have only been in a studio with 2 inch tape once so I can't judge personally but they all made good points.

------------------
jbvdb493 is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 01:19 AM   #12
Str8Jaketed
Str8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MC
GET OFF MY LAWN!
MC Status: 33010

Dwayne will always be missed....the sound of tape quite yummy..working with multi track tape..sync heads..sync-ing machines..not so much...but I am glad I spent a long time working with tape..still not found a better flange than tape IMHO...but it was a bitch to work with most days.. strings sound nice dug um..

------------------
“A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”Frank Zappa

“Hell is full of musical amateurs.” -George Bernard Shaw
Str8Jaketed is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 04:52 AM   #13
jVs
IDMf Supporter
Scruffy City

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbvdb493 View Post
Off topic but there's a thread about that on gs and all the "old school dudes" there say that tape was crap back then lol! In the end I have only been in a studio with 2 inch tape once so I can't judge personally but they all made good points.
In comparison to quality of then and now, I could see how they might draw that conclusion. Of course its a matter of personal taste and the fact that I didn't have to fuck around with tape in a studio environment before the digital age that makes my experience better.

Advertisements