"Paypal" has been sending me emails about all the cool shit I bought (apparently)
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Side Room Off topic chat about pretty much anything other than music. Try to be respectful. Strong debate is welcomed, insults and trolling are not. This area is for over 18's only and may occasionally contain NSFW material, although it's not encouraged.

Old 21-08-2016, 11:02 AM   #1
Narukami Music
Master of the LFO
Narukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MC
MC Status: 10160
"Paypal" has been sending me emails about all the cool shit I bought (apparently)

Hey all,

This is a PSA to anyone who received weird emails from Paypal. I got emails from Paypal recently informing me about a purchase that I made for my son to send to my house in Florida.

Thing is, I don't have a son and I've never been to America, let alone have a house there. This is clearly scam but the guys who did this were really fucking good at their jobs. It didn't even for through my spam folder, went straight to my main email.

Code:
Content visible to registered users only.
I'm genuinely concerned that some people might actually fall for this because it looks so legit. Of course, seeing this image, you can see the email at the top which is clearly NOT from Paypal but I'm certain some people may not even look at that because they're worried about spending over $200 for something they didn't buy.

This is another email i got from another fake Paypal. The email looks like it was from Paypal but it isn't. It says "@pa-ypal.com". It has a dash in it. Any emails from Paypal will be "@paypal.com". No dashes or anything.

Code:
If you guys get this email, make sure you guys confirm that the email is from "@paypal.com" before you proceed with anything like this. If you guys are truly unsure, then look at the top left of your browser in the URL bar, Paypal's official site should have the little green security thing at the top.

Code:
If you get these kinds of emails, I recommend NOT clicking on the "Resolution Centre" or "Secure My Account" because the link will send you to a fake Paypal website that will ask for your email and password. DO NOT put your real email and password as this is a phishing website and this site will collect that information to go to some sleazy fucker who will steal your Paypal account.

If you are curious about this site, don't put your real email. This site will allow you to proceed no matter what email or password you use. My email was "fuckyou@fucker.com" and my password was "eatadick". Once in, the website will continue to ask for your information such as you name, home address and even credit card number.

Seriously, someone went to great lengths to do this because the whole thing looks seriously legit. I'm sure some poor people actually got their information stolen. Be careful out there, folks.

Advertisements

------------------
Narukami Music is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 11:17 AM   #2
ms_
Biscuits
ms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MC
MC Status: 114360
Thanked 2,287 Times in 1,332 Posts
Re: "Paypal" has been sending me emails about all the cool shit I bought (apparently)

Yeah, looks super real, they even made up delivery address, probably that guy who's living there doesn't even know about this, got his address and personal info leaked somewhere. They're making people to believe that somebody stole their paypal account and started buying shit for themselves which usually leads to panic mode and you want to get your account secured asap. Smart fuckers, doing this in a hurry, many red flags can be overlooked.

------------------
ms_ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 12:44 PM   #3
badmotor
Savage Mad Cunt
badmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MC
MC Status: 31260
Re: "Paypal" has been sending me emails about all the cool shit I bought (apparently)

"Dear Costumer,"

------------------
badmotor is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 03:47 PM   #4
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 105850
Thanked 2,091 Times in 1,368 Posts

Lots of the 60+ crowd fall for this stuff. Sucks. Actually I'd say some of the younger internet users coming up aren't very savvy either which is odd since they've had it their entire lives.
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 04:56 PM   #5
GomesR
IDMf Supporter
GomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MC
MC Status: 71074
Thanked 1,170 Times in 717 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oatbag View Post
Lots of the 60+ crowd fall for this stuff. Sucks. Actually I'd say some of the younger internet users coming up aren't very savvy either which is odd since they've had it their entire lives.
I remember when altavista was the search engine of choice, I was in class and one of those windows popped up saying I was the lucky winner! Reply for my very own Nokia brick phone!!! I was pumped for like five seconds, until the kid sitting next to me told me I probably won't pass high school and that I'm ugly.

------------------
GomesR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 08:24 PM   #6
ab
IDMf Artist
ab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MC
Duesseldorf
MC Status: 46080064
Thanked 1,228 Times in 828 Posts

i get those mails too. it is from @paypal.com. the site that opens up looks pretty close, yet it lacks any certificate (if you click a lot of links online you might even have their certificate tho... i am not totally sure how this part works, tbh).

in 100% of the cases they have spelling errors. if they fix that... well, ofc you can check the full header (view sourcecode on thunderbird) and check it out.

here there seems to be a bounce from a japan server to a netherland server which seems unusual for a u.s. company. also, there doesnt seem to be a mail client involved, but a script? (Nemesis? iunno). you could check the IP adresses in whois to verify the domains, but i don't have a plugin for that and i am lazy.

all signs that this shit is fishy as fuck.

edit: underscores since bold doesnt translate well within the CODE sections

Code:
Return-Path: <service@paypal.com>
Received: from f-midorianzen.co.jp ([153.122.134.15]) by mx-ha.web.de
 (mxweb108) with ESMTPS (Nemesis) id 0Lfl6k-1anBcF1BEo-00pMFN for
 <my email@mail.de>; Sat, 20 Aug 2016 16:44:14 +0200
Received: from [192.168.0.2] (546B34FE.cm-12-4a.dynamic.ziggo.nl [84.107.52.254])
	(authenticated bits=0)
	by f-midorianzen.co.jp (8.14.5/8.14.4) with ESMTP id u7KE5LmR016242
	for <my email@mail.de>; Sat, 20 Aug 2016 23:44:08 +0900
Message-Id: <8mK0Yvz1Kj8jesds79Ceyq41pvdtwGEUtnHt3bVC5B3O@paypal.com>
Mime-Version: 1.0
To: my email@mail.de
Subject: Wir bitten um eine erneute Verifizierung!
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2016 16:44:09 +0200
X-Bounce-Tracking-Info: <CQkJYWxleC5vc21pYWxvd3NraUB3ZWIuZGUJV2lyIGJpdHRlbiB1bSBlaW5lIGVybmV1dGUgVmVyaWZpemllcnVuZyEJODgJCTMxOTE3CWJvdW5jZQlubwlubw==>
Content-type: multipart/alternative; Boundary="--=BOUNDARY_8201644_AHBP_OKOJ_GTOB_INKR"
Envelope-To: <my email@mail.de>

Dit bericht is in MIME formaat. Aangezien uw emailprogramma dit formaat niet
begrijpt, is het mogelijk dat dit bericht gedeeltelijk of geheel onleesbaar is.

------------------
ab is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to ab
totes antenna (03-12-2016)
Old 21-08-2016, 08:32 PM   #7
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 25510

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmotor View Post
"Dear Costumer,"
Wow.. They even knew you're into cosplay. Scary.

------------------
mnkvolcno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 01:56 AM   #8
totes antenna
TOO on fleek
totes antenna has a reputation beyond reputetotes antenna has a reputation beyond reputetotes antenna has a reputation beyond reputetotes antenna has a reputation beyond reputetotes antenna has a reputation beyond reputetotes antenna has a reputation beyond reputetotes antenna has a reputation beyond reputetotes antenna has a reputation beyond reputetotes antenna has a reputation beyond reputetotes antenna has a reputation beyond reputetotes antenna has a reputation beyond repute
Skyway Patrol
MC Status: 9810

BE CAREFUL NOT TO GET UR PERSONAL INFORMATION STOLEN CLAUDIO

Sent from my LGUS991 G4 32GB Unlocked Smartphone W/Leather Cover using Tapatalk
totes antenna is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 02:01 AM   #9
Roo Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42384799
Thanked 5,016 Times in 3,267 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmotor View Post
"Dear Costumer,"
Yeh

------------------
Roo Stercogburn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 05:58 AM   #10
Vault O)))
Cumplete Retard
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 37710

That's a pretty good scam; get people to panic about a transaction they didn't make so they'll log in immediately to sort this mess out. I hate to give pieces of shit credit, but this was well-executed.

Advertisements

------------------
Totally not clickbait this time, I swear
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote