High pitched 808 / 606 tom fills
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 20-08-2016, 05:24 PM   #1
plsnp
Regular Freak
plsnp has a spectacular aura aboutplsnp has a spectacular aura aboutplsnp has a spectacular aura about
Amsterdam
MC Status: 210
High pitched 808 / 606 tom fills

I'm really wondering if someone could help me out with mixing / creating tom fills that can be heard in this track:

youtube.com/watch?v=76bntSFOvpw

They are in the whole track, listen at 1:18 what I mean exactly.

I also hear them alot in instrumental hiphop tracks (i.e. xxyyxx)

Does anyone have advice in terms of mixing / sample selection for these kinds of fills?

I have tried to use 808 / 606 tom samples, with subtle reverb, and diffrent notes etc. but it keeps sounding kinda lame.

Thanks, any help would be awesome.

Advertisements

plsnp is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2016, 05:30 PM   #2
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222282134
Thanked 2,619 Times in 1,746 Posts
Re: High pitched 808 / 606 tom fills

hey, I just listened on my phone... Obviously thats not ideal but I didn't hear any toms! You have a specific time on the video?

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2016, 05:32 PM   #3
plsnp
Regular Freak
plsnp has a spectacular aura aboutplsnp has a spectacular aura aboutplsnp has a spectacular aura about
Amsterdam

At exactly 1:10 you hear like these pitched toms from a 808 / 606, atleast that's how I identified them, not sure, they are just "pops".

Hope you can hear them on ur phone haha
Old 20-08-2016, 05:40 PM   #4
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC

ahhhh yeah. Sounds a bit like a drop of water falling in a sink? Lol
if I was trying to make a similar sound I would try a few things and probably fail but I definitely wouldn't go 808/606 sounds

its probably miles off but I have a hunch you might be able to make something similar with a sine wave and the right pitch envelope settings. Then maybe mix that with a clave like sound thats been low pass filtered a bit

I dont have a recipe for this sound (obviously haha) but I would reccomend experimenting with these ideas because you might get something similar but sounds like your own thing. Hope this helps

edit: Yeah i will try and listen through speakers tomorrow and hopefully give an answer thats less of a stab in the dark!

------------------
Old 20-08-2016, 05:48 PM   #5
plsnp
Regular Freak
Amsterdam

Okay thanks for the reply man, I didn't think of clave sounds, but that might be it! FFS how can I forget about claves haha

Well I think the 606 / 808 toms aren't far off though,

I have tried them:

soundcloud.com/plsnppfs/a-s-i-a-1/s-Caoqp

At 1.52 you can hear 3 of those toms, trying to make a similar fill in the dauwd track I posted earlier,

But they sound kinda lame, maybe its the mixdown, maybe its the samples, dunno. I have tried adding a subtle reverb or panning them diffrently, or making them less loud in the mix, but they just don't seem to fit in correctly.

Will try the clave and the sinewave + pitch envelope, they sound pretty basic sinewaves, you are right, thanks man!
Thanks to plsnp
FunkMasterBrown (20-08-2016)
Old 20-08-2016, 05:57 PM   #6
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist

yeah to be fair those tom sounds will be made exactly the same way I said with the pitch envelope so I dont know what I'm talking about lol
if you make them yourself you have more control to tweak and you will get it sounding right for sure. A quicker envelope and a more percussive attack sound maybe. I'm not sure about the clave part... If you can put the exact same pitch envelope on it as your sine wave and layer them then it might give it that extra bit it needs. I like the sound of that track mate I will try to remember this thread and listen to some more of your stuff tomorrow (I'm about to go to work and wont get home til probably 6am) cheers!

------------------
Old 20-08-2016, 06:04 PM   #7
plsnp
Regular Freak
Amsterdam

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkMasterBrown View Post
yeah to be fair those tom sounds will be made exactly the same way I said with the pitch envelope so I dont know what I'm talking about lol
if you make them yourself you have more control to tweak and you will get it sounding right for sure. A quicker envelope and a more percussive attack sound maybe. I'm not sure about the clave part... If you can put the exact same pitch envelope on it as your sine wave and layer them then it might give it that extra bit it needs. I like the sound of that track mate I will try to remember this thread and listen to some more of your stuff tomorrow (I'm about to go to work and wont get home til probably 6am) cheers!
Thanks and have fun man xD
Old 20-08-2016, 06:36 PM   #8
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214389798
Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,762 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by plsnp View Post
I'm really wondering if someone could help me out with mixing / creating tom fills that can be heard in this track:

They are in the whole track, listen at 1:18 what I mean exactly.

I also hear them alot in instrumental hiphop tracks (i.e. xxyyxx)

Does anyone have advice in terms of mixing / sample selection for these kinds of fills?

I have tried to use 808 / 606 tom samples, with subtle reverb, and diffrent notes etc. but it keeps sounding kinda lame.

Thanks, any help would be awesome.
It's basically just a short single sine wave.
Just a little amp decay. Phase offset, to add the click/transient (sine starting at maximum amplitude instead of at null). You could highpass it to control the brightness of the click/transient. You can also add a fast pitch envelope (high to low) to add even more transient, if needed.

You got Sylenth1? I made this quickly:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Process it further with filters, EQ, compression, reverb or what-have-you. Modulate cutoff, amplitude decay length, "mod env 1" (pitch range and env decay), etc.
Good luck!

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Evelon
FunkMasterBrown (20-08-2016)
Old 20-08-2016, 06:49 PM   #9
plsnp
Regular Freak
Amsterdam

Thanks for the brief answer, awesome man, will try it out right now, thanks for the preset yes got sylenth

Love
Thanks to plsnp
Evelon (20-08-2016)
Old 20-08-2016, 06:55 PM   #10
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist

evelon is the guy! I was just stalling til he showed up

------------------
Old 20-08-2016, 07:14 PM   #11
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214389798
Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,762 Posts

Thanks! I haven't been as active here as I once was. Sorry if I kept you waiting.

Advertisements

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote