Can you make pro mixdown with cheap plugin and why you should
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Closed Thread
Old 20-08-2016, 04:22 PM   #1
thanatos
Master of the LFO
thanatos is a savage MCthanatos is a savage MCthanatos is a savage MCthanatos is a savage MCthanatos is a savage MCthanatos is a savage MCthanatos is a savage MCthanatos is a savage MCthanatos is a savage MCthanatos is a savage MCthanatos is a savage MC
MC Status: 733436
Can you make pro mixdown with cheap plugin and why you should

in short tl dr the answer is yes so try harder
and also mixdown is artistical esthetical choice so keep it to you

longer
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Advertisements

------------------
thanatos is offline   Thanks
Old 20-08-2016, 05:37 PM   #2
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 25260
Re: Can you make pro mixdown with cheap plugin and why you should

Hi there. Pretty good points here.

However, I think you might want to get someone who is a bit stronger with English to proof read this. There are several errors.

Also, the bit about mastering is err... Pretty bad. -3 or -6 db rms is insane. Personally I prefer things at -12 or less. I don't even think it's possible to master at -3db rms lol.

------------------
mnkvolcno is offline   Thanks
Old 20-08-2016, 06:21 PM   #3
Evelon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214388898
Thanked 2,809 Times in 1,753 Posts

That was vague, weird, simplistic, erroneous and overall...
Sorry.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks
Old 21-08-2016, 01:18 AM   #4
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 17460

hes has a few points though ive had a few releases on smaller labels where ive done tracks useing fruity stock plugins, mixed masterd etc all in fruity loops but yea -3db master is a bit excessive.
joem is offline   Thanks
Old 21-08-2016, 03:42 AM   #5
Narukami Music
Master of the LFO
Narukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 9810

The idea of this post is good. I personally believe that you can make anything sound great with stock/free plugins if you know what you're doing. Not a bad message to send to people, I think.

But the article itself is a bit... meh. It oversimplifies things and you don't really go as in depth as I think you should. The mixdown and the mastering part, I personally disagree with. Mixing is both art and a science. You can use whatever EQ, compressor, delay or reverb you want but if you don't understand what you're doing, it's not gonna help. And that mastering point? -6 to -3RMS?? That's excessive, dude. Too loud, in my book.

But I guess the last thing to note is that you don't even talk about mixing with cheap plugins. You talk about everything else except plugins, lol. If the point of this article is to get people to be more confident with stock/free plugins, you should probably talk about them.

Also, as someone else stated, get someone to proofread your articles dude. Lot's of spelling mistakes. I get that English isn't your first language but I think randoms who come across your articles will be confused.

Not trying to be an asshole here. Just sharing my thoughts.

------------------
Narukami Music is offline   Thanks
Old 21-08-2016, 05:10 AM   #6
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 163810
Thanked 3,276 Times in 2,445 Posts

The thing about this topic is if you're asking, then it's safe to say you don't know shit about mixing..otherwise you would automatically know it doesn't matter what plugs you use, as long as you know what they do and how to use them.

There's one caveat in regards to limitations..basically, when using free plugs, you need to make sure they're good and actually work. There's more than a few free ones out there that do feck all or are total shite and not worth downloading!

If using free plugs is something you want to try or have to do out of necessity, then I'd suggest you learn as much as you can about EQ and Compression..and I don't just mean read up on them..get your hands dirty by messing around with test tracks, so you can get real "hands-on" experience..it's the only way to really lean these things..seriously.

Forget about mixing or mastering until you've got a handle on both techniques..otherwise you're just wasting your time.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks
Old 21-08-2016, 11:28 AM   #7
ms_
Biscuits
ms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MC
MC Status: 111960
Thanked 2,239 Times in 1,305 Posts

Every DAW is packed with everything you need to make a decent mixdown and even do mastering. It's all about skill and knowing how to use plugins you already own more efficiently. You start looking for alternatives if you feel that those plugins aren't that great and you want something more out of them; I'm talking about factory/stock tools. However, what mostly you need for mixdown is EQ and stock ones usually do their job just fine.

edit: wtf is this article about

Last edited by ms_; 21-08-2016 at 11:34 AM..

------------------
ms_ is offline   Thanks
Old 24-08-2016, 01:03 PM   #8
TheSampleThief
Analog Lurker
TheSampleThief is a glorious beacon of lightTheSampleThief is a glorious beacon of lightTheSampleThief is a glorious beacon of lightTheSampleThief is a glorious beacon of lightTheSampleThief is a glorious beacon of lightTheSampleThief is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 510

I thought there would be some sort of a guide or sth.... I don't really get the point of this thread otherwise.

------------------
TheSampleThief is offline   Thanks
Old 25-08-2016, 02:01 PM   #9
thanatos
Master of the LFO
thanatos is a savage MCthanatos is a savage MCthanatos is a savage MCthanatos is a savage MCthanatos is a savage MCthanatos is a savage MCthanatos is a savage MCthanatos is a savage MCthanatos is a savage MCthanatos is a savage MCthanatos is a savage MC
MC Status: 733436

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSampleThief View Post
I thought there would be some sort of a guide or sth.... I don't really get the point of this thread otherwise.
the point is that if your mixdown sucks it's because you don't know what you do. Expensive hardware won't make good mixdown by magic
to learn technique check the producer page on the webzine especialy the gain staging tutorial

------------------
thanatos is offline   Thanks
Thanks to thanatos
A.M (25-08-2016)
Old 27-08-2016, 08:49 PM   #10
LustHouse
Analog Lurker
LustHouse is just really niceLustHouse is just really niceLustHouse is just really niceLustHouse is just really niceLustHouse is just really nice
MC Status: 410

Depending on what you really mean by "pro mixdown". I'd say quality of your speakers/headphones is more important than "quality" of your daw.
LustHouse is offline   Thanks
Old 28-08-2016, 11:54 PM   #11
Roo Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42367699
Thanked 4,674 Times in 3,053 Posts

Hey lets make people learning feel worse about themselves.

Advertisements

------------------
Roo Stercogburn is offline   Thanks
Closed Thread