Surface pro?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 20-08-2016, 12:59 AM   #1
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 25860
Surface pro?

Just curious if anyone is running the likes of ableton live and push or maschine on a surface pro?
And what the experiences are.
Unlike @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
I like the touch screen for some stuff and I played around the store with a surface pro and liked the pen a lot. So since the true limiting factor of the iPad, imo, is iOS I am just kinda thinking out loud.
I will be shopping for a new computer in the new year so... Just asking I guess

Advertisements

------------------
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2016, 06:34 PM   #2
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 19660
Re: Surface pro?

yea ive got one surface pro 3 and i can safely say there shit just get a laptop.
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to joem
mnkvolcno (31-10-2016)
Old 20-08-2016, 06:41 PM   #3
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8538380
Thanked 6,949 Times in 4,943 Posts

Haha. I am pretty anti touch screen. However I have thought about investing in a Windows 10 tablet for Maschine. I know there is a guy on GS who has done this. He mentions it quite often.

TBH Im seriously considering buying a tablet instead of a laptop for my next production machine, but was thinking iPad Pro. They are working on AU support and and Cubase on iOS is pretty extensive.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2016, 06:59 PM   #4
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Haha. I am pretty anti touch screen. However I have thought about investing in a Windows 10 tablet for Maschine. I know there is a guy on GS who has done this. He mentions it quite often.

TBH Im seriously considering buying a tablet instead of a laptop for my next production machine, but was thinking iPad Pro. They are working on AU support and and Cubase on iOS is pretty extensive.
I am using cubasis (ok dabbling in) but it is a little painful sometimes tbh.
The biggest issue for me it the difficult midi implementation inside iOS, and the difficulty of syncing anything to cubasis, or anything else in general. That's why I was wondering about the windows tablets.
I really want an iPad Pro 2 running OS X, with the processors in there I don't understand why Apple can't pull that off!

------------------
Thanks to jbvdb493
liquid_air (21-08-2016)
Old 20-08-2016, 07:10 PM   #5
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

How are you trying to sync MIDI in iOS? I've never had many issues with it. The only thing I've never pulled off was using Maschine as MIDI controller in Patterning. But I've been sending and recieving MIDI to my iPad for ages. Used to sequence all songs on it, sending out MIDI note sequences and sync to a couple drum machines and 3-4 synths.

Or do you mean syncing multiple apps all inside the iPad? I've not done a ton with that. But I was using Genome to sequence some apps along with hardware boxes and that worked fine.

My guess is that Apple will be slow to merge their tablet and and lap top lines as a lot of their customers want to own a laptop, tablet and phone.

I've not used Cubasis, but it seems the most complete. I really like how Garageband handles audio on the time line, but there is no sequencing and it doesn't support inter-app audio per track so you can use iOS apps as FX.

------------------
Old 20-08-2016, 11:17 PM   #6
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter

Quote:
How are you trying to sync MIDI in iOS? I've never had many issues with it. The only thing I've never pulled off was using Maschine as MIDI controller in Patterning. But I've been sending and recieving MIDI to my iPad for ages. Used to sequence all songs on it, sending out MIDI note sequences and sync to a couple drum machines and 3-4 synths.

Or do you mean syncing multiple apps all inside the iPad? I've not done a ton with that. But I was using Genome to sequence some apps along with hardware boxes and that worked fine.

My guess is that Apple will be slow to merge their tablet and and lap top lines as a lot of their customers want to own a laptop, tablet and phone.

I've not used Cubasis, but it seems the most complete. I really like how Garageband handles audio on the time line, but there is no sequencing and it doesn't support inter-app audio per track so you can use iOS apps as FX.
Yeah mostly sync to outside the iPad is ok, not a big fan of link to midi but it works.
Other than patterning and cubasis I have mostly given up on sequencing apps in the iPad, the latest, modstep, has been to unstable for me.

But yeah mostly internal sync. Even with link and AUM you still need audiobus to control the start and stop of apps, and cubasis doesn't do link yet! So either running link to midi and work around that way or export stems to audiocopy then from there to cubasis. A bit of a pain, all due to the incomplete iOS setup IMO.

And yeah cubasis is pretty good, and I like the AU apps. I hear there is rumours of a cubasis 2 in the works, if it adds better editing, a fold piano roll to scales trick like gadget, link sync and (let's dream a little) a chop shop a la MPC I would be all over that!
But still for now I think the iPad is best as a super cool sound module! And it is great at that!

------------------
Old 21-08-2016, 06:32 PM   #7
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbvdb493 View Post
Yeah mostly sync to outside the iPad is ok, not a big fan of link to midi but it works.
Other than patterning and cubasis I have mostly given up on sequencing apps in the iPad, the latest, modstep, has been to unstable for me.

But yeah mostly internal sync. Even with link and AUM you still need audiobus to control the start and stop of apps, and cubasis doesn't do link yet! So either running link to midi and work around that way or export stems to audiocopy then from there to cubasis. A bit of a pain, all due to the incomplete iOS setup IMO.

And yeah cubasis is pretty good, and I like the AU apps. I hear there is rumours of a cubasis 2 in the works, if it adds better editing, a fold piano roll to scales trick like gadget, link sync and (let's dream a little) a chop shop a la MPC I would be all over that!
But still for now I think the iPad is best as a super cool sound module! And it is great at that!
It does become quite complex trying to get a lot of stuff happening all at once on the iPad. As you say, I think it functions best as a sound module or as a sequencer for external gear.

I really wish you could demo apps...I'd love to find something that has...oh say 16-32 tracks to record audio to and makes it easy to chop and edit the audio (as I said, I really like how Garageband handles this and I'm going to make some tunes using just the 8 tracks).

It is hard to justify $20+ app purchases when there is a good chance that even after reading reviews and videos isn't really what I'm looking for. These days I'm pretty good at knowing whether or not I like a piece of hardware w/o trying it...but I've had bad luck with apps in the past...or maybe its just too easy to click "buy" after a few beers sitting on the couch watching netflix...

I had been pretty gung ho about switching over to iOS, but honestly a Surface Pro is starting to make a lot of sense for me as I already own tons of software, a DAW and Maschine I could run on it...

------------------
Old 21-08-2016, 09:11 PM   #8
Cypherclerk
Generate & Test
Cypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MC
Rectilinear Filigree
MC Status: 53740955
Thanked 2,387 Times in 1,627 Posts

What about bypassing a tablet altogether and instead going for a touch screen monitor?

That way you'd have your fully fledged setup, with no tablet limitations.

You could probably create quite a comfortable ergonomic setup using a desk that could mount a touch screen monitor so you're looking down at it.

Something like this:

------------------
Cypherclerk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Cypherclerk
thom (31-10-2016)
Old 21-08-2016, 09:58 PM   #9
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter

Can't exactly take it in the plane
Does look cool tho!

------------------
Old 21-08-2016, 10:47 PM   #10
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 19660

you can get a very powerful gaming l,laptop for the same price as a surface pro
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 02:40 AM   #11
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 51860
Thanked 1,037 Times in 764 Posts

Quote:
It does become quite complex trying to get a lot of stuff happening all at once on the iPad. As you say, I think it functions best as a sound module or as a sequencer for external gear.

I really wish you could demo apps...I'd love to find something that has...oh say 16-32 tracks to record audio to and makes it easy to chop and edit the audio (as I said, I really like how Garageband handles this and I'm going to make some tunes using just the 8 tracks).

It is hard to justify $20+ app purchases when there is a good chance that even after reading reviews and videos isn't really what I'm looking for. These days I'm pretty good at knowing whether or not I like a piece of hardware w/o trying it...but I've had bad luck with apps in the past...or maybe its just too easy to click "buy" after a few beers sitting on the couch watching netflix...

I had been pretty gung ho about switching over to iOS, but honestly a Surface Pro is starting to make a lot of sense for me as I already own tons of software, a DAW and Maschine I could run on it...
I am close to finishing a whole track on my iPad. I am using Auria Pro, which accommodates up to 64 tracks or so. You can also buy full fledged versions of all FabFilter plugins with a 1:1 translation of functionality. It can be quirky with some apps, but it is inter app audio and Audiobus compatible.

Oh, yeah, it's a full fledged DAW with line and send FX, full MIDI control, and automation. Hence I thought it might be easier to do everything inside the iPad rather than hustling to integrate it. It will export AAF to Dropbox and loads into Logic just fine, so that's a way to have portability.

It's not necessarily cheap, especially if you fully load it with the FabFilter plugins, but they are front and center in my productions, sound great, and at $30 a pop are significantly cheaper than the AU versions.

You can nicely process audio post recording, too. It's got a capable editor. For some purposes I use Hokusai as an iOS audio editor.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to liquid_air
relic (26-08-2016)
Old 26-08-2016, 12:22 AM   #12
jimmusician
Deep Underground
jimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8798

Quote:
Originally Posted by joem View Post
yea ive got one surface pro 3 and i can safely say there shit just get a laptop.
I'd say if you want a pc that can do it all skip the laptop, build a PC. For the money you'd spend on either you can build a great rig if you follow the pc masterrace reddit guide.
jimmusician is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2016, 12:40 AM   #13
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmusician View Post
I'd say if you want a pc that can do it all skip the laptop, build a PC. For the money you'd spend on either you can build a great rig if you follow the pc masterrace reddit guide.
I think most are missing the point, I don't want to replace a PC, I want to potentially replace an iPad!

Edit: besides I was mostly just thinking out loud so to speak. I think this idea has sailed for now!

Last edited by jbvdb493; 26-08-2016 at 12:51 AM..

------------------
Thanks to jbvdb493
vashima (26-08-2016)
Old 26-08-2016, 01:51 AM   #14
jimmusician
Deep Underground
jimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbvdb493 View Post
I think most are missing the point, I don't want to replace a PC, I want to potentially replace an iPad!

Edit: besides I was mostly just thinking out loud so to speak. I think this idea has sailed for now!
Kinda silly tho when you can emulate everything in a good set of hardware in a Microsoft OS.
Old 26-08-2016, 02:15 AM   #15
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Kinda silly tho when you can emulate everything in a good set of hardware in a Microsoft OS.
Using touch is much, much easier for me because of a wrist injury. So...there is that.

------------------
Old 26-08-2016, 02:49 AM   #16
jimmusician
Deep Underground

Quote:
Using touch is much, much easier for me because of a wrist injury. So...there is that.
Touch monitors are manufactured. ..I mean, I don't like being a pain in the ass, but for 400-600 for a great laptop/tablet you can build a monster with desktop hardware that will beat the pants off a typical integrated graphics POS with a 5400rpm drive. I was always the laptop guy up until this past December and I haven't looked back. If performance is what you want, you're not going to find it on a device meant for taking notes on the go.
Thanks to jimmusician
relic (26-08-2016)
Old 26-08-2016, 02:53 AM   #17
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Touch monitors are manufactured. ..I mean, I don't like being a pain in the ass, but for 400-600 for a great laptop/tablet you can build a monster with desktop hardware that will beat the pants off a typical integrated graphics POS with a 5400rpm drive. I was always the laptop guy up until this past December and I haven't looked back. If performance is what you want, you're not going to find it on a device meant for taking notes on the go.
thats true, think that was actually said earlier, good point!

------------------
Old 26-08-2016, 02:55 AM   #18
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter

Again, not necessarily looking for performance, just portability and then inclusion into,a home setup so no on a desktop, much less a PC. Were I to buy a desk top it would definitely be an iMac.
Again tho, will be sticking to the iPad for now, it is a great sample fodder for the hardware!

------------------
Thanks to jbvdb493
relic (26-08-2016)
Old 30-10-2016, 08:16 PM   #19
makrsamples
Regular Freak
makrsamples will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

My thoughts when it comes to the Surface.... why not spend the same money on a more powerful laptop? But then, I've never been one for tablets
makrsamples is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 11:06 PM   #20
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by makrsamples View Post
My thoughts when it comes to the Surface.... why not spend the same money on a more powerful laptop? But then, I've never been one for tablets
Because, if you read the whole thread, I want touch, I want portability, I would love to play reason on a surface on the plane, then get home and sample those ideas in my hardware! That's the idea, portable, and integrates easily into a home studio setup that uses hardware.
Leaning heavily toward a surface book now, its more money but the screen size is nice, the extra USB port is good and it still seems more useful on the go than a MacBook Pro. Plus Mac is kinda pissing me off lately. That touch strip crap on the new laptops is so stupid!

Advertisements

------------------