very odd dat > spdif > interface > computer prob
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 07-25-2016, 11:58 PM   #1
ab
IDMf Artist
ab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MC
Duesseldorf
MC Status: 46079964
Thanked 1,226 Times in 826 Posts
very odd dat > spdif > interface > computer prob

sup all

i do occasional Dat digitizing for some people who pay me money for it. which is the motivation behind that (mostly old recordings, and mostly from old friends from back when i was living in frankfurt, we maded jazzes)

so. usually i just grab the analog out and master it slightly. works fine and people commend me on the clarity and stereo spread. aint that hard, tbh, and i enjoy the occasional work.

now, i have a denon with an spdif out, and recently i got an alesis io2 (because of the sp/dif in) because a friend wanted some old jazz recordings done proper.

and heres where the problems start, and its FUCKING ODD.

i parallel listened analog out / spdif out. Analog is mighty fine.

digital too, but goes wonky after 3-4 minutes and it sounds like bitcrush. like, from 24 down to 6 bits, gradually. theres a knob on the alesis which switches between analog and digital input, and when i hit that, the digital in goes back to PERFECT SOUND. for 3 minutes. and then descent into early industrial bit-ness.

shit is so unusual i have no clue whatsoever.

i think its the interface - analog out is perfect from start to finish. since its alesis i am probably fucked. any ideas? i am proper stumped on this.

Advertisements

------------------
ab is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:14 AM   #2
Evelon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214387348
Thanked 2,778 Times in 1,736 Posts
Re: very odd dat > spdif > interface > computer prob

That sounds really strange.
I have no idea.

Ghost of a previous owner?

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Evelon
ab (07-26-2016)
Old 07-26-2016, 12:23 AM   #3
ab
IDMf Artist
ab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MC
Duesseldorf
MC Status: 46079964
Thanked 1,226 Times in 826 Posts
Re: very odd dat > spdif > interface > computer prob

i use faulty gear all the time, but at least those machines are consistent. that prob is totally off. and alesis has by far the worst customer service. (compared to behringer, for instance. those dudes and dudettes rock)

Advertisements

------------------
ab is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote