How do you get your sub deeper?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 23-07-2016, 06:42 PM   #1
Chaotix
Savage Mad Cunt
Chaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MC
Vancouver
MC Status: 752850
How do you get your sub deeper?

So I'm trying to make a sub that sounds like these tracks.

The closest I could come is this, which is kind of close but still off as theirs sounds more deep and emotional.

What am I doing wrong? Theirs seems to have a bit more of a deep sound than mine. If I push mine any lower it goes into bad territory. Mine has a bit more highs, is that perceiving it as different? Are their subs stacks with some other sounds?

Advertisements

------------------
Chaotix is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2016, 06:59 PM   #2
Tsachi
i don't understand
Tsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MC
MC Status: 10210
Re: How do you get your sub deeper?

Yours is pretty good man. I hear that the reference track subs aren't as wide as yours, and their tracks have clearer imaging in general, which is a hard thing to learn to do.

------------------

Lol wut happened to the chatbox
Tsachi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Tsachi
Chaotix (23-07-2016)
Old 23-07-2016, 07:22 PM   #3
Knob Twiddler
666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute
#Quit IDMf
MC Status: 7010

Go mono, maybe? Yours sounds way too wide for a bass, although I could be wrong

------------------
666 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to 666
Chaotix (23-07-2016)
Old 23-07-2016, 07:55 PM   #4
Chaotix
Savage Mad Cunt
Chaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MC
Vancouver

Thanks for the replies guys. Yeah the top high end of mine is widened quite a bit but even putting it in mono it doesn't sound as deep. I feel it's close, but mine sounds a little more phasey than theirs. To achieve mine, i had to offset oscillators and phases to get that sound. I'm thinking maybe they aren't doing that as much?

------------------
Old 24-07-2016, 12:34 AM   #5
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 18760

saturatrion and low pass filtering is the key
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 12:45 AM   #6
sterioevo
Regular Freak
sterioevo has much to be proud ofsterioevo has much to be proud ofsterioevo has much to be proud ofsterioevo has much to be proud ofsterioevo has much to be proud ofsterioevo has much to be proud ofsterioevo has much to be proud ofsterioevo has much to be proud ofsterioevo has much to be proud of
Tamworth
MC Status: 1194

How are you making your sub?
To my ears it doesn't sound like a clean sine tone down low, especially when you go up the register.
sterioevo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 02:44 AM   #7
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7236929

Well, the first thing you need to understand that fundamentally, Sub/Dom relationships are about trust. It is trust that allows your sub to go into the subspace to begin with, so that is essential. As ironic as it sounds, you need to make sure he/she feels safe. Then, in order to get him/her deeper, you..

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 07:44 AM   #8
iamlowtonez
Learning The Ropes
iamlowtonez will become famous soon enough
Kansas
MC Status: 60

Could always add distortion then slap a Low Pass Filter on it so all you got is the UHMF
iamlowtonez is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 09:25 AM   #9
ms_
Biscuits
ms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MC
MC Status: 114360
Thanked 2,287 Times in 1,332 Posts

I tried to recreate that bass of one of those tracks, not sure if I succeeded but I get this idea, maybe it needs some more twists.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Seems it strongly relies on FM. You could try doing it by making bass in 3 layers; all with same synth settings, first layer are unaffected low frequencies, second layer could have 100% wet chorus effect and the 3rd some saturation, but in very low level of volume. Then final M/S EQing where you hi-pass Side around 100-150 so it won't interfere and separates M and S. You end up having this clarity of low frequencies and some depth that is being provided by chorus and saturation combo. Overdrive effect could be used too.

------------------
ms_ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 10:22 AM   #10
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 18760

if you have massive or albino i could upp patches
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 06:49 PM   #11
Chaotix
Savage Mad Cunt
Vancouver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_ View Post
I tried to recreate that bass of one of those tracks, not sure if I succeeded but I get this idea, maybe it needs some more twists.

Seems it strongly relies on FM. You could try doing it by making bass in 3 layers; all with same synth settings, first layer are unaffected low frequencies, second layer could have 100% wet chorus effect and the 3rd some saturation, but in very low level of volume. Then final M/S EQing where you hi-pass Side around 100-150 so it won't interfere and separates M and S. You end up having this clarity of low frequencies and some depth that is being provided by chorus and saturation combo. Overdrive effect could be used too.
I have tried a similar approach and it didn't sound the same haha. It almost sounds like a pad just being played really low, so maybe there is some kind of a pad layered with it.

------------------
Old 24-07-2016, 07:13 PM   #12
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ
mute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MC
a garden with a cassette player
MC Status: 20360

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_ View Post

would you have a problem if I sampled that?

------------------
My Website:https://flootaboot.wordpress.com/

(all of my music is linked on my website)
mute machine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 08:26 PM   #13
Chaotix
Savage Mad Cunt
Vancouver

Tried doing it the pad way with a layered pad on top of a clean deeper sub and got this.. so maybe this is a tad closer? haha

Last edited by Chaotix; 24-07-2016 at 10:48 PM..

------------------
Old 24-07-2016, 10:03 PM   #14
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 25260

Fill your ballast tanks more!

Sorry, get back to the serious conversation

------------------
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 10:29 AM   #15
EdenC
EdenC is a splendid one to beholdEdenC is a splendid one to beholdEdenC is a splendid one to beholdEdenC is a splendid one to beholdEdenC is a splendid one to beholdEdenC is a splendid one to behold
UK
MC Status: 660

You need more movement. The first track has a somewhat heavy sidechain with quite a long release on it, the second is obviously cutting in an out a lot more.

------------------
I fondle FL Studio until things come out.
https://soundcloud.com/edenscoming
EdenC is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 01:40 PM   #16
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1533677
Thanked 1,909 Times in 1,225 Posts

the keys to the left.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 12:46 AM   #17
tintala
Granular Poster
tintala is just really nicetintala is just really nicetintala is just really nicetintala is just really nicetintala is just really nice
Kathmandu ,Nepal
MC Status: 410

is the reference track mastered that may have something to do with it.

also try PSP mix bass, you will love it and never ever stop using it for bass..
tintala is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2016, 11:03 AM   #18
TheSampleThief
Analog Lurker
TheSampleThief is a splendid one to beholdTheSampleThief is a splendid one to beholdTheSampleThief is a splendid one to beholdTheSampleThief is a splendid one to beholdTheSampleThief is a splendid one to beholdTheSampleThief is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 660

If I compare your subs (cool track btw) and the ones you want to emulate, I really think they just went an octave or two deeper... ^^

It could also be helpful to know what synth you use for your subs. I've had decent experiences with a Harmor + BassDrum (the FL studio one you get from the start, on a very low volume and rather stereo, just for the physical aspect of the sub more or less).

------------------
TheSampleThief is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 08:17 PM   #19
makrsamples
Regular Freak
makrsamples will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

Layering and super tight EQing does the trick for me. I find that if I can layer in the one octave that hits super hard on standard subs with overtones for the cadence I want and then compress them together, I can get a tight sub. Takes some work, but then, what doesn't?
makrsamples is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:55 PM   #20
TIMT
Soundscaper
TIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MC
MC Status: 418660

Pretty much everything you perceive in a sub happens in the movement and when it moves,how it moves.distortion and processing will always only serve to make it less subby (unless you put it in a feedback loop)if you want it to be deep but not sound daft determine how often and when you want it to descend into the depths of hell.does it creep down there in a kind of exponential curve and then explode back up to base pitch? or does it just barrage you with constant dynamic changes.all these are obviously context and aesthetic/taste dependent.if you have very little drum work then obviously the barrage you with constant pitch and volume changes is going to sound utterly bizarre and quite frankly shit.and you also need to determine how big you can go with sub movements based on the sound of your drums.i you have tiny drums (no i don't just mean clip them to death or turn it into a brickwall,i'm talking about the dynamics within the drum itself) and very dynamic sub then that is always going to sound like there is some potential mixing problem when the issue is much more fundamental

Take Tippers Fathom's Ep for example,has really punchy kicks that are very sparsely arranged but they are arranged to provide impact (revs,quick sudden patterns)and the sub basically plays counterpoint with it.it's relatively quiet for remainder of the arrangement but creeps up on you suddenly when there is an explosive change in dynamic(i guess just like the sea),like before and after the punchy kicks show up

Advertisements

TIMT is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote