Are USB microphones good enough?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 19-07-2016, 02:06 PM   #1
djfablebr
Minor Glitch
djfablebr is a jewel in the roughdjfablebr is a jewel in the roughdjfablebr is a jewel in the roughdjfablebr is a jewel in the rough
Goiania
MC Status: 310
Are USB microphones good enough?

I was looking forward to adding vocals of mine to tracks, but with lower budget and keeping it simple. I was wondering if the Blue snowball microphones would do the job. Also i dont have a studio with proper sound blocking and stuff. Does anyone have any recomendations? Should a save up for non Usb mic's?

Fable

Advertisements

djfablebr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 02:53 PM   #2
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 171960
Thanked 3,439 Times in 2,566 Posts
Re: Are USB microphones good enough?

There's nothing wrong with the Blue..it's a good little workhorse of a mic, with really good clear sound. I'm not even sure if you need to go that high..there are cheaper mics on the likes of ebay that are good enough to record sound in. You can always edit your sounds after and tidy them up "in the box" if you need to. That said, you are better off working with the best quality sound you can right from the start.

I picked up a really cheap usb mic on ebay a few years ago for about $20 and it gives really clear sound recordings.

As for "sound blocking", you should look into getting something like [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to A.M
Numerical (19-07-2016)
Old 19-07-2016, 02:57 PM   #3
djfablebr
Minor Glitch
djfablebr is a jewel in the roughdjfablebr is a jewel in the roughdjfablebr is a jewel in the roughdjfablebr is a jewel in the rough
Goiania

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
There's nothing wrong with the Blue..it's a good little workhorse of a mic, with really good clear sound. I'm not even sure if you need to go that high..there are cheaper mics on the likes of ebay that are good enough to record sound in. You can always edit your sounds after and tidy them up "in the box" if you need to. That said, you are better off working with the best quality sound you can right from the start.

I picked up a really cheap usb mic on ebay a few years ago for about $20 and it gives really clear sound recordings.

As for "sound blocking", you should look into getting something like[/URL]

Thanks for the tips.

Fable
Old 19-07-2016, 11:02 PM   #4
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65410
Thanked 1,308 Times in 987 Posts

A long time ago I read that USB mics are discouraged because they can mess up your soundcard driver settings because they have their own soundcard drivers. But I don't know if this is true anymore. But it might be if the USB mic is designed for podcasting and not overdubbing in a DAW. But some USB mics have an entire audio interface built into them so you could possibly work around the limitation and just temporarily change soundcards while you overdub. Kind of a hassle, but it could work.

But USB mics if they are made well, could be really low noise since they eliminate the analog cable. But only if they are designed well would this be true.

I'm curious to see how it goes.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 11:27 PM   #5
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45941831
Thanked 5,673 Times in 3,575 Posts

Go for it. Just throw some foam or blankets up around where you're singing to kill reflections from walls and ceiling, should be fine.

------------------
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 02:49 PM   #6
djfablebr
Minor Glitch
Goiania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nystagmus View Post
A long time ago I read that USB mics are discouraged because they can mess up your soundcard driver settings because they have their own soundcard drivers. But I don't know if this is true anymore. But it might be if the USB mic is designed for podcasting and not overdubbing in a DAW. But some USB mics have an entire audio interface built into them so you could possibly work around the limitation and just temporarily change soundcards while you overdub. Kind of a hassle, but it could work.

But USB mics if they are made well, could be really low noise since they eliminate the analog cable. But only if they are designed well would this be true.

I'm curious to see how it goes.

Im guessing ill get one, and i will say what i think about it here

Fable
Thanks to djfablebr
Nystagmus (20-07-2016)
Old 25-07-2016, 09:25 AM   #7
Roo Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42381399
Thanked 4,948 Times in 3,229 Posts

Aren't the drivers for most of them still 16-bit?

------------------
Roo Stercogburn is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 09:52 AM   #8
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 18210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stercogburn View Post
Aren't the drivers for most of them still 16-bit?
no razors is pretty good and thats 64 bit
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 12:36 PM   #9
Valk
Microknight
Valk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2910

I bought myself a Cad u37 off Amazon about 2 weeks ago for sampling and vocal stuff,
so far i'm super happy with the quality of this entry level mic.
i'll probably die before it stops working because i'm looking after it.
I used a few mics before that plug into the 3.5mm input in my pc and in a few different sound cards but it seems they always pick up some noise from the bad electrical grid here in South Africa/bad power supply.

With Usb there's no problem gg wp
D42K732202 is right,
I decided on the mic I got because going the legit route (Microphone + Audio Interface) would have cost me at least double for the same quality sound, also now i'm mobile.
Do your research before you make your decision!

Last edited by Valk; 25-07-2016 at 01:46 PM..
Valk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 01:08 PM   #10
D42K732202
IDMf Supporter
D42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8410

everything depends on specs, usb is just type of connector and protocol

------------------
sent from another world
------------------
D42K732202 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 02:09 PM   #11
ab
IDMf Artist
ab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MC
Duesseldorf
MC Status: 46079964
Thanked 1,226 Times in 826 Posts

you can "combine" several audio drivers (your main Audio Interface and a usb microphone interface, for instance) in asio4all if you want to run them as one interface in your DAW; Macs have that functionality built in, iirc.

i would always go for an analog microphone. I don't need another Audio Interface so why should i pay for one?

a good mix between a usb interface and a microphone could be a field recorder. i have been using my zoom h1 occasionally; their microphones are pretty good and theres a lot of nice features built into them that proves useful, like low cuts etc.

------------------
ab is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 03:45 PM   #12
Knob Twiddler
666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute
#Quit IDMf
MC Status: 7010

I'm not a pro, but I've found that if you like the mic and use it well, USB shouldn't be an absolute no-go.

That being said, it's more difficult to have no option of jacking straight into your preamp / interface (even my $50 piece of shit interface offers EQ options) and typically the high pass is either on or off without much twakability in between (depending on the mic, obviously). Stereo miking isn't an option, etc. I could go on and on.

I typically use my USB mics in a portable setting only, but even then I feel like I overpaid for an all-in-one when I didn't really need one.

------------------
666 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 07:33 PM   #13
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 171960
Thanked 3,439 Times in 2,566 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
I'm not a pro, but I've found that if you like the mic and use it well, USB shouldn't be an absolute no-go.

That being said, it's more difficult to have no option of jacking straight into your preamp / interface (even my $50 piece of shit interface offers EQ options) and typically the high pass is either on or off without much twakability in between (depending on the mic, obviously). Stereo miking isn't an option, etc. I could go on and on.

I typically use my USB mics in a portable setting only, but even then I feel like I overpaid for an all-in-one when I didn't really need one.
Yeah..the one I got of ebay for around $20 is one of those one-button jobs with a long neck that comes up from the big round base..looks like a piece of cheap crap, but when I plug it into a usb port and run it through my RME card, it sounds really good.

So yeah, I think the kind of sound card / interface you have on your system goes hand-in-hand with the mic you use..usb or not.

Advertisements

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote