Building an audio portfolio
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 16-07-2016, 09:06 AM   #1
Orray
Soundscaper
Orray is a splendid one to beholdOrray is a splendid one to beholdOrray is a splendid one to beholdOrray is a splendid one to beholdOrray is a splendid one to beholdOrray is a splendid one to beholdOrray is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 860
Building an audio portfolio

I just finished a 6 month internship overseas at a studio that primarily did dubbing for video games. The internship was great - I learned a lot about recording and editing, and how a recording studio functions.

Anyway, now that I'm back home, I'm looking to apply for similar jobs (probably in audio post-production for TV/Film/Radio). The problem is that even though I'm confident in my ability to record and do post-pro work on voice recordings, most employers want to see some sort of body of work or portfolio. Due to strict NDAs on the projects I worked on, I wasn't able to save any of the recording sessions / samples.

Just looking to see if anyone has experience with creating an audio portfolio from scratch, or if anyone has an idea of free samples I could use to somehow demonstrate my abilities.

Advertisements

------------------
Orray is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2016, 10:21 AM   #2
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6901709
Thanked 3,450 Times in 2,089 Posts
Re: Building an audio portfolio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orray View Post
I just finished a 6 month internship overseas at a studio that primarily did dubbing for video games. The internship was great - I learned a lot about recording and editing, and how a recording studio functions.

Anyway, now that I'm back home, I'm looking to apply for similar jobs (probably in audio post-production for TV/Film/Radio). The problem is that even though I'm confident in my ability to record and do post-pro work on voice recordings, most employers want to see some sort of body of work or portfolio. Due to strict NDAs on the projects I worked on, I wasn't able to save any of the recording sessions / samples.

Just looking to see if anyone has experience with creating an audio portfolio from scratch, or if anyone has an idea of free samples I could use to somehow demonstrate my abilities.
This sounds a bit weird. I've done heaps of work that's not public but my clients have never had a problem with the inclusion of my work in a private portfolio.

Why not speak to them and ask if it's possible to show some of your work to prospective employers? Additionally, if there are any publicly distributed examples of the projects you worked on, use those.

Beyond that (if your client is a cunt) then it's up to you to create some work specifically for your folio.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2016, 11:18 PM   #3
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45941831
Thanked 5,673 Times in 3,575 Posts

In the video game industry it's common to sign NDAs and never be able to say anything about that game again. I did QA testing for a pretty big name title and even though it's been out for years now, I still cant say anything about it.

------------------
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 02:10 AM   #4
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6901709
Thanked 3,450 Times in 2,089 Posts

^ QA testing is a liiiiiitle bit different from producing audio.

You should probably read your NDA, because it's highly unlikely that you can't say anything about it. If that's true, you've technically violated the NDA by saying that you did QA testing on any game. It would certainly make getting another job in a relevant industry interesting if you couldn't talk about your abilities in the context of your work.

I know a lot of devs who have worked on games and couldn't tell me which games they were working on... until they were released. But then they can say, "Yeah, I did the curtains in that game", or whatever.

Typically with an NDA what you can't disclose is the technical specs and other proprietary stuff.

But of course you can disclose that you worked as a tester. You can disclose the methodologies you've worked with, you can discuss the vendor technologies and softwares you've used to do the work. You can even talk about what kind of tests you were responsible for.

You just can't discuss the specific details about the projects you work on.

So yeah, read the NDA, as I highly doubt any game is so top-secret that you can't even mention that you've worked as a QA tester for company X who makes games like Y.

Anyway, just saw this in the OP:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orray View Post
Due to strict NDAs on the projects I worked on, I wasn't able to save any of the recording sessions / samples.
If this is true, your only option is to ask ex-employers for copies and if they say no, just do some folio work.

Advertisements

Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Jaded
vashima (31-07-2016)