Upgrading to Win 10 and need legit previous version?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 07-12-2016, 06:40 PM   #1
Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
Stercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42346049
Thanked 4,241 Times in 2,764 Posts
Upgrading to Win 10 and need legit previous version?

This is all legal, so nobody get uptight. I didn't have a version of Windows that was eligible for the free Win 10 upgrade. Legit, just not eligible.

There's only a few weeks remaining on the free upgrade offer and come August a full version costs around £80, or about £170 if you go for the pro version.

Get yourself a Win 8.1 activation/license key via Amazon or your vendor of choice. On Amazon, I was able to get a Win 8.1 Pro activation key for £20. It came in German. No fucks given

Download the 8.1 installation ISO from Microsoft to a USB stick, CD or DVD, whichever you prefer. You may see some options for 'N' or such like. Ignore them, you just want the obvious "Windows 8.1 Pro" if you're going for the same Pro option as me. By Pro I refer to Windows 8.1, not myself.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/soft...nload/windows8

Install it.

Don't bother with patching updates as you'll be overwriting it a few seconds after installation.

When the installation is complete, go to the Win 10 site and download. It will do the installation checker to make sure you have memory, CPU and disk space. If you've been naughty and filled your C: drive with shite, you have some admin to do, otherwise you can proceed with the Win 10 download and installation.

You just saved around £150.

Last edited by Stercogburn; 07-12-2016 at 06:52 PM..

Advertisements

------------------
This mind intentionally blank.
Stercogburn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Stercogburn
Jaded (07-20-2016)
Old 07-12-2016, 07:03 PM   #2
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 15360
Re: Upgrading to Win 10 and need legit previous version?

i posted this ages ago when windows 10 was first rolling out
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:06 PM   #3
Stercogburn
Stercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback

Quote:
Originally Posted by joem View Post
i posted this ages ago when windows 10 was first rolling out
Gratz

------------------
Old 07-12-2016, 07:08 PM   #4
professurreal
IDMf Artist
professurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MC
at the end of the tunnel
MC Status: 56310
Thanked 1,126 Times in 763 Posts

Just beware that that license is bound to the hardware you installed it on so if you ever get a new PC you will have to buy Windows again.

------------------
professurreal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to professurreal
Jaded (07-20-2016)
Old 07-12-2016, 07:28 PM   #5
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8497630
Thanked 6,134 Times in 4,405 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by professurreal View Post
Just beware that that license is bound to the hardware you installed it on so if you ever get a new PC you will have to buy Windows again.
Is that a new policy? I think I remember installing the same serial for XP on two computers (not simultaneously though, when I built new computer I used my old XP serial).

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:40 PM   #6
Stercogburn
On horseback

Microsoft like tying installations to the hard drive serial number but I seem to recall you can change the HDD once in a while without incurring a licencing issue. Not checked recently though. I may do some google-fu when I finish this nice wine.

------------------
Old 07-12-2016, 09:52 PM   #7
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 41710

All my OS upgrades have been free.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:05 AM   #8
Schnork
Ghostly
Schnork has a reputation beyond reputeSchnork has a reputation beyond reputeSchnork has a reputation beyond reputeSchnork has a reputation beyond reputeSchnork has a reputation beyond reputeSchnork has a reputation beyond reputeSchnork has a reputation beyond reputeSchnork has a reputation beyond reputeSchnork has a reputation beyond reputeSchnork has a reputation beyond reputeSchnork has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 9510

I actually own a legit Win 7, came with my wifes laptop, but I didn't plan to update. Such aggressive 'advertising' is just...Yeah, you know...

Don't think my 2012 laptop would run Live 64 on Win10 in a usefull way.
Schnork is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Schnork
A.M (07-13-2016)
Old 07-13-2016, 02:32 PM   #9
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnork View Post
I actually own a legit Win 7, came with my wifes laptop, but I didn't plan to update. Such aggressive 'advertising' is just...Yeah, you know...

Don't think my 2012 laptop would run Live 64 on Win10 in a usefull way.
I upgraded several machines older than that to Windows 10 and it improved performance on all of them. Our desktop for running our point of sales system at work improved 100%. My studio computer which I built in 2009 runs significantly better. I updated an old ass, crappy HP that ran like shit and made it usable as a computer to browse the internet and do basic office tasks for my partner.

You can roll it back and it really didn't take long to upgrade any of them. Just food for thought.

------------------
Old 07-13-2016, 02:43 PM   #10
Stercogburn
On horseback

A lot of people were so focused on hating the interface in Win 8.x they didn't notice that Microsoft had improved disk access and other behind-the-scenes features that give better performance or functionality. Once I'd confirmed Win 8 was stable it was a no-brainer for me to upgrade to it for the disk streaming benefits. The interface issues I could live with.

I've still to reinstall all my music stuff for Win 10. The crossgrade from Win 8.1 Ent to Win 8.1 Pro meant I need to reinstall all my music applications. Small price to pay.

------------------
Old 07-13-2016, 03:23 PM   #11
relic
IDMf Supporter
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

The only problem I had upgrading was my studio machine--for some reason the upgrade defaulted to the touch GUI, which is very difficult to navigate with a mouse. Once I looked up how to change that setting everything was awesome.

------------------
Old 07-13-2016, 06:51 PM   #12
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45930931
Thanked 5,455 Times in 3,453 Posts

I'm not sure about that tying OS installs to hardwarebit . i got a Win7 key from a friend and used it on my own computer for a while, then when I bought an all new set of hardware last december i just used it again and upgraded to 10 from there.
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Numerical
relic (07-14-2016)
Old 07-13-2016, 08:49 PM   #13
D42K732202
IDMf Supporter
D42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 7810

windows 8 and 10 are just bloatware upgrades of windows 7, trust me as an ex-programmer

------------------
sent from another world
------------------
D42K732202 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 10:18 PM   #14
Stercogburn
On horseback

Quote:
Originally Posted by D42K732202 View Post
windows 8 and 10 are just bloatware upgrades of windows 7, trust me as an ex-programmer
Cool, did you work on them?

------------------
Thanks to Stercogburn
Jaded (07-20-2016)
Old 07-14-2016, 05:31 AM   #15
Schnork
Ghostly
Schnork has a reputation beyond reputeSchnork has a reputation beyond reputeSchnork has a reputation beyond reputeSchnork has a reputation beyond reputeSchnork has a reputation beyond reputeSchnork has a reputation beyond reputeSchnork has a reputation beyond reputeSchnork has a reputation beyond reputeSchnork has a reputation beyond reputeSchnork has a reputation beyond reputeSchnork has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 9510

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
I upgraded several machines older than that to Windows 10 and it improved performance on all of them. Our desktop for running our point of sales system at work improved 100%. My studio computer which I built in 2009 runs significantly better. I updated an old ass, crappy HP that ran like shit and made it usable as a computer to browse the internet and do basic office tasks for my partner.

You can roll it back and it really didn't take long to upgrade any of them. Just food for thought.
Wow...Seriously?! I'm relying on quite a few old plugins, not sure if I'll be able to run my whole software environment on Win10 - Nevertheless I'll reconsider my decision, thx man.

Last edited by Schnork; 07-14-2016 at 05:39 AM..
Schnork is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:50 AM   #16
Stercogburn
On horseback

Quote:
Originally Posted by joem View Post
use ultimate windows tweaker and bypass the privacy options telemetry
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/ultima...r-4-windows-10
One of the problems with tweakers is that the settings can be undone when Win 10 gets updates and you need to re-do the settings again.

Safer-Networking (the makers of the very excellent Spybot) have produced this:

https://www.safer-networking.org/spybot-anti-beacon/

It runs on your machine and actively blocks the telemetry even if patching makes changes to your machine's underlying config.

------------------
Old 07-14-2016, 02:30 PM   #17
D42K732202
IDMf Supporter
D42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 7810

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stercogburn View Post
Cool, did you work on them?
yup, same kernel just different interface and some useless features, and cloud service that is uploading your files whether you want it or not, can be fully disabled (after a lot of work) but it actually easier to stay with win 7, +you get more free ram with 7

------------------
sent from another world
------------------
D42K732202 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 03:16 PM   #18
relic
IDMf Supporter
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnork View Post
Wow...Seriously?! I'm relying on quite a few old plugins, not sure if I'll be able to run my whole software environment on Win10 - Nevertheless I'll reconsider my decision, thx man.
I havent used my workstation a ton since upgrading but everything worked perfect for three different project files I was working on...all plugins I typically use even older freeware...also didnt have an issue opening pre upgrade projects..but seriously our point of sales machine at work is a whole other computer. Maybe the install just cleaned out a bunch of garbage or reset bad settings, but that machine is night and day different.

cant type much due to a wrist injury, but yea...very shocked at how well its gone so far

------------------
Old 07-14-2016, 03:17 PM   #19
relic
IDMf Supporter
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by D42K732202 View Post
yup, same kernel just different interface and some useless features, and cloud service that is uploading your files whether you want it or not, can be fully disabled (after a lot of work) but it actually easier to stay with win 7, +you get more free ram with 7
Im not surprised, but seriously all the machines I upgraded run better.

------------------
Old 07-14-2016, 03:36 PM   #20
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269440708
Thanked 2,342 Times in 1,606 Posts

I'll be installing a Win 10 partition on my Mac just to install a game engine I really want to try and maybe have a play with my dormant Fruity Loops license. It will cost me a whopping £17...

Advertisements

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote