Basics of a Trap song?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 02-07-2016, 04:07 PM   #1
Partynader
Learning The Ropes
Partynader is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Basics of a Trap song?

I want to make a trap song, but I'm not sure about the basics. I'd just like some tips to get me rolling, such as what tempo I should use, what kind of drum samples work best, and the basic structure of a trap song.

Advertisements

Partynader is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 05:09 PM   #2
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 100150
Thanked 1,977 Times in 1,304 Posts
Re: Basics of a Trap song?

I feel like these questions could all be answered by listening to some trap. Have you tried that yet?

What tempos have you tried and what made them feel "trappy" or not?
What kind of drum samples do you think sound the best for trap?
How do they seem to be structured?
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 06:07 PM   #3
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 47810

Yeah, Oatbag got you covered there. Not the sort of question that gets you favorable responses.

What I found useful are some courses on producertech.com

Such as this one: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

albeit I was interested in learning about sample mangling in Maschine more so than the genre per se.

Might also want to check out YouTube.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 06:27 PM   #4
Partynader
Learning The Ropes

Thanks for the link. And sorry for being a scrub
Old 02-07-2016, 07:38 PM   #5
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 80989280
Thanked 3,981 Times in 2,586 Posts

I never understood why people would wanna do a specific genre. It's like you don't really know what kind of sound you want to make, but you only know you'd like the label "trap" be put on it.

------------------
( o)<
|vv|
Lug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 08:29 PM   #6
Histronics
Radial Developer
Histronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond repute
Bradenton, Florida
MC Status: 4110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug View Post
I never understood why people would wanna do a specific genre. It's like you don't really know what kind of sound you want to make, but you only know you'd like the label "trap" be put on it.
Because maybe they really like the genre. And learning to produce different geners can only benifit you by learning new things.

------------------
Histronics is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 08:34 PM   #7
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 80989280
Thanked 3,981 Times in 2,586 Posts

I guess.
My feeling is that prior to "how do I do it", you could ask yourself "what do I like about it?"

------------------
( o)<
|vv|
Lug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:10 PM   #8
Knob Twiddler
666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute
#Quit IDMf
MC Status: 6960

I usually just sample a trap song and slow it down. Add compression for taste, then it's yours.

------------------
666 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:13 PM   #9
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny

Well, there's also Loopmasters. Get yourself those hot new Trap packs, some vocal stems, and lift off a few samples. Boom!

------------------

Thanks to liquid_air
666 (02-07-2016)
Old 02-07-2016, 10:44 PM   #10
Partynader
Learning The Ropes

Thanks everyone for responding. I realize in hindsight what a scrub-like post this is, so thanks everyone for your polite comments
Old 03-07-2016, 09:07 PM   #11
Monkey P.
Analog Lurker
Monkey P. has much to be proud ofMonkey P. has much to be proud ofMonkey P. has much to be proud ofMonkey P. has much to be proud ofMonkey P. has much to be proud ofMonkey P. has much to be proud ofMonkey P. has much to be proud ofMonkey P. has much to be proud ofMonkey P. has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1160

Since I have not really seen the answer you were looking for, I'll give it a try. Trap is (like you probably figured out by now) defined by a 140 BPM, Kicks with lots off sub and a long release time, short rolling snares with a pitch going down and high pitched glitched and/or cut vocals.

For the kick I've seen people using a 808 and for the sub you can just use a pitched down sinewave. You can make it kick more by using some compression and saturation. Make sure you cut out frequencies in you kick for the sub, otherwise it will clash.

For the snares, use some short snares with a nice attack. You can cut out the bass but make sure the snare gets a boost at 1-2 kHz for the crisp in the punch. If you want to make the snare roll, you can put the snare sample in a sampler. Automate the pitch down over 4 beats and your done.

You can use every a capella sample for the vocal. Put it in a synth which can handle samples and play with the pitch, portamento and glide time. You could automate the latter.

Extra bonus tip for you: try triplets on your hats!

------------------
Monkey P. is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:35 PM   #12
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8519880
Thanked 6,579 Times in 4,697 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug View Post
I guess.
My feeling is that prior to "how do I do it", you could ask yourself "what do I like about it?"
my thoughts exactly...though I agree with Histrionics that there is nothing wrong with wanting to make x genre, but one should ask "why" generally speaking

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:02 PM   #13
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 17660

if you use fl studio i could upp a template with fl plugin chains
and kicks ive made in sytrus
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:55 PM   #14
Histronics
Radial Developer
Histronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond reputeHistronics has a reputation beyond repute
Bradenton, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
my thoughts exactly...though I agree with Histrionics that there is nothing wrong with wanting to make x genre, but one should ask "why" generally speaking
Why? Because they like it. Any time I produce a new genre my only reasoning for doing it is because I think it's fun.

People get so pretentious about music. Make what you want for whatever reason you want.

------------------
Old 04-07-2016, 12:54 AM   #15
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 100150
Thanked 1,977 Times in 1,304 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Histronics View Post
Why? Because they like it. Any time I produce a new genre my only reasoning for doing it is because I think it's fun.

People get so pretentious about music. Make what you want for whatever reason you want.
I think Lug's point was that if you don't even know what you like about (insert genre here), then it feels like you are just attached to the name of the genre. Like if I were just to say - I really want to make breakcore - please hold my hand and tell me how do breakcore?

You'd probably have some suggestions other than, set the tempo to 185, use X drum sample, and gate all the things. You'd probably be curious what sort of breakcore I enjoyed and encourage me to learn.

I don't think it's pretentious to discourage the idea of magic formulas to making paint by numbers (insert genre here) music.
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 01:07 AM   #16
hellscion
brraaiiinnsss
hellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MC
NJ
MC Status: 91357123

A lot of people get into music through bullshit genres like trap, or learning to play metallica songs. It is a way to learn about music and get into it.

Whether or not they evolve past that is a different story..

------------------
hellscion is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 01:19 AM   #17
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8519880
Thanked 6,579 Times in 4,697 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Histronics View Post

I really didn't mean it to sound pretentious in the slightest. I just think it might be useful to ask what is it I'm attracted to here? How can I incorporate those things into my sound palette/skill set. Just a suggestion really. I've got nothing against fun and that can certainly be reason enough.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 01:23 AM   #18
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellscion View Post
A lot of people get into music through bullshit genres like trap, or learning to play metallica songs. It is a way to learn about music and get into it.

Kind of a two-fold sucker punch diss there. That sort of snobbery is quite popular and I find myself indulging in it as well. We used to laugh at the sort of cheesy chart placing dance tunes that they used to play on the fairgrounds in the early nineties. We knew the real deal and they didn't. It's all a bit pretentious, really. It's just music and simple people either like or don't mind simple formulaic music. Clap here, blow a whistle here (remember those?), fist in the air here.

Every single one of these types of music started out as something original and rather obscure, not known to many. The death of any originality, unfortunately, is the gratuitous imitation of the same idea. Too often do we tend to forget that it was cool when we first heard it.

------------------

Old 04-07-2016, 02:56 AM   #19
hellscion
brraaiiinnsss
hellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MC
NJ
MC Status: 91357123

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
Kind of a two-fold sucker punch diss there. That sort of snobbery is quite popular and I find myself indulging in it as well. We used to laugh at the sort of cheesy chart placing dance tunes that they used to play on the fairgrounds in the early nineties. We knew the real deal and they didn't. It's all a bit pretentious, really. It's just music and simple people either like or don't mind simple formulaic music. Clap here, blow a whistle here (remember those?), fist in the air here.

Every single one of these types of music started out as something original and rather obscure, not known to many. The death of any originality, unfortunately, is the gratuitous imitation of the same idea. Too often do we tend to forget that it was cool when we first heard it.
IDM-forums.....

the thing about Trap though is that it's a bunch of white kids piggy-backing on a pre-existing genre from gangsta rap in the south because it was pointed out to them that their 'new genre called Trap' already existed and had been around for years..so they awkwardly try to connect their music with that.

------------------
hellscion is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 02:58 AM   #20
Histronics
Radial Developer
Bradenton, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oatbag View Post
I think Lug's point was that if you don't even know what you like about (insert genre here), then it feels like you are just attached to the name of the genre. Like if I were just to say - I really want to make breakcore - please hold my hand and tell me how do breakcore?

You'd probably have some suggestions other than, set the tempo to 185, use X drum sample, and gate all the things. You'd probably be curious what sort of breakcore I enjoyed and encourage me to learn.

I don't think it's pretentious to discourage the idea of magic formulas to making paint by numbers (insert genre here) music.
Everyone has to start somewhere. Just like learning the rule of thirds in video. Or your forms in martial arts. Knowing formulas and structures is essential to being a good musician. To expect someone with no knowledge to somehow learn to make music without a sense of structure is retarded. Everyone starts from somewhere. Regardless of the genre you make the same concepts still apply across the board. Whether or not you are an 'intelligent' dance music producer or some fifteen year old kid making hiphop like I was to fit in. The music he wants to make is an expression of who he is right now.

Learning the formulas has helped me immensely in defining my musical identity. My music has become a representation of who I am from learning to make different genres and styles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellscion View Post

See, this is the holier-than-thou attitude I'm talking about. Trap is as legitimate as any other genre of music. Just because you make IDM that doesn't mean somehow your genre is better than any others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post

Most hipser post award goes to you for that last line. That snobbery is what I hate. It comes from a place of feeling superior to your peers for some arbitrary reason. Not only does it belittle those around you, but also does a disservice to the individual participating in that behavior.

People imitate because they have similar feelings and want to express themselves in a similar way. "I like how this music makes me feel, I want to make other people feel this way too". There is plenty of originality in 'simple' EDM music. It's simply that your expectations are too high. Originality is much more subtle now.

I can feel hipsters being triggered before I even post this.
:shits torm:

Advertisements

------------------