What is the average age of IDM or EDM producers today?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 06-25-2016, 05:18 PM   #1
timekraftcanvas
Regular Freak
timekraftcanvas will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60
What is the average age of IDM or EDM producers today?

Geez I feel old....

Advertisements

timekraftcanvas is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 05:47 PM   #2
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 17160
Re: What is the average age of IDM or EDM producers today?

your new around here i get it but why the fuck is this in the music theory and composition section.
and to answer it, idm not sure edm however 10 years old dubstep 3 to 5 years old for bigroom house/trap.
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to joem
Taaz (01-15-2017)
Old 06-25-2016, 05:52 PM   #3
U-235
Sample Destroyer
U-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond repute
Fields of Gold
MC Status: 6410

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Average+age+of+...usic+producers
U-235 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 06:03 PM   #4
Benwaa

/thread
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 06:08 PM   #5
timekraftcanvas
Regular Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by joem View Post
your new around here i get it but why the fuck is this in the music theory and composition section.
and to answer it, idm not sure edm however 10 years old dubstep 3 to 5 years old for bigroom house/trap.
Because I don't know where to start. I'm an old school vet. I was posting and making tracks when breakbeat.co.uk or dogsonacid.com were around in 1998-2003. Back then forums and production were big. It's 2016!

Believe me I'm not trolling and I'm sorry if this thread doesn't correspond to the section... I don't see a problem. Where would I post such a question, which section?

I've been thinking of producing again, and I don't want to use computer based systems. I've been thinking of experimenting strictly with tape and used old analog rigs. I've found a limited but healthy community of Youtubers posting vids of such things, and their views go in the range of the double digit thousands.

Sorry if my posting came off as strange... just wanted to share general knowledge of music production theory.
Old 06-25-2016, 08:10 PM   #6
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 95000
Thanked 1,874 Times in 1,249 Posts

Well.... there are some older people and some younger people and that averages out to somewhere in the middle.

If you are really asking - can old people make some good tunes or is it for the young folks - the answer is age doesn't really matter.

If you are really just trying to introduce yourself and are insecure about your age or proud of your age - welcome to IDMF - we don't really worry about age too much here. I just kind of assume all the users are 25-35ish men and don't dig too much.
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 08:14 PM   #7
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8514530
Thanked 6,472 Times in 4,626 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timekraftcanvas View Post
Because I don't know where to start. I'm an old school vet. I was posting and making tracks when breakbeat.co.uk or dogsonacid.com were around in 1998-2003. Back then forums and production were big. It's 2016!

I've been thinking of producing again, and I don't want to use computer based systems. I've been thinking of experimenting strictly with tape and used old analog rigs. I've found a limited but healthy community of Youtubers posting vids of such things, and their views go in the range of the double digit thousands.

The Original Hardware Mega Thread

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 08:24 PM   #8
timekraftcanvas
Regular Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oatbag View Post
Well.... there are some older people and some younger people and that averages out to somewhere in the middle.

If you are really asking - can old people make some good tunes or is it for the young folks - the answer is age doesn't really matter.

If you are really just trying to introduce yourself and are insecure about your age or proud of your age - welcome to IDMF - we don't really worry about age too much here. I just kind of assume all the users are 25-35ish men and don't dig too much.
Thanks for the thoughts. I've seen teens nowadays producing crazy stuff from their phones or just a laptop and I'm like wtf! I feel so far behind. I miss the days of Myspace where you could find anybody around the world remotely and by genre to do collaborations. The site has gone rubbish it's changed its infrastructure 100%.
Old 06-25-2016, 08:31 PM   #9
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 159810
Thanked 3,196 Times in 2,389 Posts

Quote:

Believe me I'm not trolling and I'm sorry if this thread doesn't correspond to the section... I don't see a problem. Where would I post such a question, which section?

Sorry if my posting came off as strange... just wanted to share general knowledge of music production theory.

What Oatbag said..plus take the time to read this..it covers a lot of stuff you need to know in order to get the most out of this place.

To answer your question, the age of producers out there, I'm guessing, varies a lot..just like it does on here. But age really doesn't have all that much to do with producing, as I've known people who can mix with the best of them and people who couldn't find the spindle on a turntable even if you pointed it out to them..and their age had feck all to do with what they could or couldn't do.

Granted, some folks who've been around a while will naturally have picked up a bit more than those "of fewer years", but that doesn't automatically make them better producers..it just makes them old folks who know a little bit more than most of those younger than them.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 08:35 PM   #10
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 159810
Thanked 3,196 Times in 2,389 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for the thoughts. I've seen teens nowadays producing crazy stuff from their phones or just a laptop and I'm like wtf! I feel so far behind. I miss the days of Myspace where you could find anybody around the world remotely and by genre to do collaborations. The site has gone rubbish it's changed its infrastructure 100%.
Yeah..seeing shit like that IS impressive for sure, but don't ever let that kind of thing distract you from who YOU are and what YOU have to offer. This sounds kinda obvious, but just be yourself and have fun doing it. Don't think you need to conform to the way younger artists do things..just do things your own way and get on with it.

Somehow I don't think us old farts are going to be blowing anyone away these days..well, not musically anyway.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 08:51 PM   #11
timekraftcanvas
Regular Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
Yeah..seeing shit like that IS impressive for sure, but don't ever let that kind of thing distract you from who YOU are and what YOU have to offer. This sounds kinda obvious, but just be yourself and have fun doing it. Don't think you need to conform to the way younger artists do things..just do things your own way and get on with it.

Somehow I don't think us old farts are going to be blowing anyone away these days..well, not musically anyway.
I really appreciate the support guys. Thanks. Good to see my generation knows exactly what I'm on about.
Old 06-25-2016, 09:26 PM   #12
Knob Twiddler
666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute
#Quit IDMf
MC Status: 6860

I thought making music was cool for any age, young and old.

------------------
666 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 12:51 AM   #13
earthportal
Regular Freak
earthportal will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
I thought making music was cool for any age, young and old.
Totally agree. Some people have success at a young age, others find their footing later in life. Really depends on a million things including individual life circumstances that can be hard to control. Of course the music industry doesn't tell us this, as they feed the illusion that anyone can just decide to become a big star if they 'really want it'.
earthportal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 04:50 PM   #14
Xportmusic
Learning The Ropes
Xportmusic is currently spamming hard
Swansea (UK)
MC Status: 10

At the end of the day it's about the music..and if you're making awsome music. Who gives a shit how old you are?
Xportmusic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 05:38 PM   #15
Benwaa

I give a shit, cos if you're under 18 I need your mums permission to sign your music.
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:30 PM   #16
Xportmusic
Learning The Ropes
Xportmusic is currently spamming hard
Swansea (UK)
MC Status: 10

Can't see it being much of a problem asking someone's mum for permission to sign their child's track..
Xportmusic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:18 PM   #17
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 45060

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xportmusic View Post
Can't see it being much of a problem asking someone's mum for permission to sign their child's track..
You got to want that track really bad. Like really, really bad.

You want Whaaaat?

That shite noise?

He's only 12, he'll do something proper when he grows up. (weed, I'm guessing)

Um, no.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to liquid_air
A.M (07-10-2016)
Old 07-11-2016, 02:33 AM   #18
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 95000
Thanked 1,874 Times in 1,249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benwaa View Post
I give a shit, cos if you're under 18 I need your mums permission to sign your music.
It's also more complicated when they send nudies.
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:46 AM   #19
Schnork
Ghostly
Schnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MC
MC Status: 10510

Quote:
I've seen teens nowadays producing crazy stuff from their phones or just a laptop and I'm like wtf!
Ok, where do you see such things?!? 90s cartoons?
Schnork is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 10:31 AM   #20
Benwaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xportmusic View Post

It's an extra level of hassle and legal BS

Advertisements

Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Benwaa
lolirl (07-11-2016)