Making a studio for cheap - require soundproofing
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 20-06-2016, 12:00 AM   #1
devilz_soul1979
Learning The Ropes
devilz_soul1979 is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Making a studio for cheap - require soundproofing

Good afternoon all

I'm a newbie who is trying to create a studio for playing classical music (violin, viola, piano) and also teaching classical music.

I have leased a space that has dry walls and carpet flooring (your average northern california house space basically) and is almost 200 ft..

My first priority at this stage is to understand how to soundproof the studio in a way that there is no one outside the studio can hear the music and also that the sound of instrument inside the studio is as close to the level of recording studios or larger Symphony Hall. The reason I am trying to create that level of soundproofing is that I would like to audition for professional position in classical music and having a good soundproofing will not only help the neighbors but also my playing by creating just the right note for practice by not reverbing/echoing

The studio is in Northern California and needless to say that I have a limited budget for soundproofing. I looked into the acoustic foam but wasn't sure how to use it so what I am hoping to get help from the community is as follows:

- good Reading material on soundproofing basic and how to go about
- suggestion on the materials that I can use on the drywall to make it a soundproof space
- where to buy this material for cheap/good price
- any other resource link that you think I should be reading to create a very good space

i will be extremely thankful for your help

Regards

Advertisements

devilz_soul1979 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 01:05 AM   #2
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 175060
Thanked 3,501 Times in 2,614 Posts
Re: Making a studio for cheap - require soundproofing

First thing you need to do is tell us a little more about this space your working with..what you've already said is pretty basic in terms of details. What I mean is there's a difference between a brick wall with dry wall fixed to it and a cavity wall, compared to a stud partition dry wall. Each kind would need to be treated differently in order to get the level of soundproofing you're talking about..which means the costs involved are going to be different, too.

You say you've leased this space..it might be worth your while in the long term to relocate to a basement-type setting, as a basement will usually cut your soundproofing costs for obvious reasons.

Also something to keep in mind is the floors and ceiling..are they concrete, timber or tiles? Is it a false ceiling..likewise, is there a crawlspace under the floor? All these things will have a big impact on your budget..and even if you had to cut your losses and relocate, it might be worth doing so if you find the right place that will offer a good level of natural soundproofing.

No matter what you do..stay put or move..it's going to cost you a lot to get the level of SP you're aiming for..even though you can use everyday things like furniture and bedding to dull down some sound, you're still going to have to splash out a lot.

My suggestion would be that you take a good look at this location you mentioned and see just what you have to work with before you start asking how much it's going to cost, as you can't really get the answer to that until you really know what you are dealing with.

[EDIT] You should also check out [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
for a more detailed account of what's what about soundproofing.

Best of luck.

Last edited by A.M; 20-06-2016 at 01:17 AM.. Reason: Added link

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 09:13 AM   #3
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214389798
Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,762 Posts

Sounds like you need BOTH sound proofing and sound treatment.
So, maybe you need to build a room within a room (google it for more info/tutorials/videos) and then put up sound treatment within it (absorbers, diffusers and maybe some basstraps, etc). The idea with a room within a room is to reduce transplantation of vibration/sound by creating a floating floor (or on sand) and air between the walls.
For cheap and effective sound treatment materials, Paroc and Rockwool comes to mind (broadband absorbers). You can make skyline diffusers (to break up flutter echo, etc) with 2"x2" studs.

Last edited by Evelon; 20-06-2016 at 04:58 PM..

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Evelon
A.M (20-06-2016)
Old 30-08-2016, 03:01 PM   #4
SadSandwich
Minor Glitch
SadSandwich is a splendid one to beholdSadSandwich is a splendid one to beholdSadSandwich is a splendid one to beholdSadSandwich is a splendid one to beholdSadSandwich is a splendid one to beholdSadSandwich is a splendid one to beholdSadSandwich is a splendid one to behold
Plano, TX
MC Status: 760

I think you would benefit a lot with changing your expectations of what soundproofing is. Even VERY good studios with excellent acoustic treatment are not soundproof. Many areas that are soundproof are not acoustically treated and things don't sound very good in there.

If you are looking to control the sound and reduce the neighbor annoying frequencies, I would suggest looking into building some rock wool acoustic panels. They are easy to build, cost effective, and can even end up looking pretty sweet. Wish I could share a helpful link, but I am sure you could find good stuff by Googling 'rock wool acoustic panels DIY']
SadSandwich is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to SadSandwich
floydianslip (19-09-2016)
Old 03-09-2016, 02:40 AM   #5
jimmusician
Deep Underground
jimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8798

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilz_soul1979 View Post
Good afternoon all

I'm a newbie who is trying to create a studio for playing classical music (violin, viola, piano) and also teaching classical music.

I have leased a space that has dry walls and carpet flooring (your average northern california house space basically) and is almost 200 ft..

My first priority at this stage is to understand how to soundproof the studio in a way that there is no one outside the studio can hear the music and also that the sound of instrument inside the studio is as close to the level of recording studios or larger Symphony Hall. The reason I am trying to create that level of soundproofing is that I would like to audition for professional position in classical music and having a good soundproofing will not only help the neighbors but also my playing by creating just the right note for practice by not reverbing/echoing

The studio is in Northern California and needless to say that I have a limited budget for soundproofing. I looked into the acoustic foam but wasn't sure how to use it so what I am hoping to get help from the community is as follows:

- good Reading material on soundproofing basic and how to go about
- suggestion on the materials that I can use on the drywall to make it a soundproof space
- where to buy this material for cheap/good price
- any other resource link that you think I should be reading to create a very good space

i will be extremely thankful for your help

Regards
I was watching a tutorial on soundproofing where it was concluded that towels are the most sound absorbant fabric, so a guy took picture frames, took 3 ply of towels, and sewed them together and mounted them on the picture frames and to the walls. Greatly reduces ambient sound. I'll try to find the link but I think that'd be the way.
jimmusician is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to jimmusician
A.M (03-09-2016)
Old 19-09-2016, 07:02 AM   #6
floydianslip
Radial Developer
floydianslip is a glorious beacon of lightfloydianslip is a glorious beacon of lightfloydianslip is a glorious beacon of lightfloydianslip is a glorious beacon of lightfloydianslip is a glorious beacon of lightfloydianslip is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 510

Everything said so far is spot on. In regards to treatment of a room (not soundproofing), a quick way to figure out where to place acoustic padding (regardless of the medium you are using to make it) without using math equations (math is recommended by many online resources I have viewed about sound treatment) is to simply use your ears. Walk around the room and clap or whoop and listen to where in the room the sound is reflected back to you in an undesirable way, and put up padding in those places. Once you have done that, try walking around the room while playing your instrument in order to fine-tune your arrangement. If you can, walk around the room playing instruments that take up different spaces in the frequency spectrum, too.

Advertisements

------------------
floydianslip is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote