Strategies to gain SoundCloud audience?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 06-05-2016, 02:11 PM   #1
pineapplefunn
Minor Glitch
pineapplefunn is currently spamming hard
New Jersey
MC Status: 10
Strategies to gain SoundCloud audience?

Any suggestions as to how I can build a soundcloud audience so real people listen to my music? I understand that my soundcloud is relatively new, but let me know if you have any ideas.

Advertisements

pineapplefunn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 02:57 PM   #2
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644068
Thanked 4,896 Times in 3,160 Posts
Re: Strategies to gain SoundCloud audience?

Find people with less than 500 followers. Listen to their tracks. Make an insightful comment. Follow. Chances are, they'll follow back.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to RFJ
NataliaZombie (06-27-2016)
Old 06-05-2016, 03:40 PM   #3
ms_
Biscuits
ms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MC
MC Status: 111060
Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,298 Posts

create 5000 free sc accounts and follow yourself.

tell people if they won't follow you back, you gonna come to their house and break their knees, same if they decide not to share/like/comment your track.

hire a group of monkeys so they could sit and listen to your tracks all day long (they don't accept paypal payment, just letting you know).

A classic "nice track, check me out" method where you can pretend that you like someone' music while expecting that this person do the same in return (pretends that he/she likes your music and maybe even leaves a comment as well!).

------------------
ms_ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 04:02 PM   #4
Evelon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214388298
Thanked 2,797 Times in 1,748 Posts

"Real people" usually listen to YouTube, Spotify, etc. Not Soundcloud (mostly producers, artists, etc there).
Other than that, go with the suggestions above.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Evelon
relic (06-06-2016)
Old 06-05-2016, 04:12 PM   #5
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7236379

Make a deal where you promise to suck the cock of anyone that follows you if they ever meet you in real life.

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Blingley
mnkvolcno (06-07-2016)
Old 06-05-2016, 05:12 PM   #6
Sobia6464
Soundwave Mangler
Sobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1260

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_ View Post
create 5000 free sc accounts and follow yourself.

tell people if they won't follow you back, you gonna come to their house and break their knees, same if they decide not to share/like/comment your track.

hire a group of monkeys so they could sit and listen to your tracks all day long (they don't accept paypal payment, just letting you know).

A classic "nice track, check me out" method where you can pretend that you like someone' music while expecting that this person do the same in return (pretends that he/she likes your music and maybe even leaves a comment as well!).
+1 I couldn't give better advice if I wanted to.

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by joem View Post
Its not the vst that makes the man but the man, that makes the vst.
Sobia6464 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 05:37 PM   #7
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 44910

Hire a service that manages your social media presence.

Date Kim Kardashian.

Go on a reality TV show.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 06:04 PM   #8
U-235
Sample Destroyer
U-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond repute
Fields of Gold
MC Status: 6410

Set up a facebook /youtube page and use your soundcloud links.
U-235 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 01:20 AM   #9
Orray
Soundscaper
Orray is a splendid one to beholdOrray is a splendid one to beholdOrray is a splendid one to beholdOrray is a splendid one to beholdOrray is a splendid one to beholdOrray is a splendid one to beholdOrray is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 860

I see lots of people using toneden or similar sites for a 'follow to download' option. Not sure how effective it is vs how much it annoys people.

------------------
Orray is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 01:34 AM   #10
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 159710
Thanked 3,194 Times in 2,388 Posts

I know this is easy to say, but forget about the followers..just focus on making the best music you can. If you're music is good enough then it will catch on with people.

Aside from that, what RFJ said.

------------------
A.M is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 05:51 AM   #11
ab
IDMf Artist
ab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MC
Duesseldorf
MC Status: 46079964
Thanked 1,226 Times in 826 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelon View Post
"Real people" usually listen to YouTube, Spotify, etc. Not Soundcloud (mostly producers, artists, etc there).
to be fair, 80%* of people who buy idm at least dabble in producing themselves.

its the same with modern jazz and classical music

*- i pulled that number out of my ass

------------------
ab is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to ab
Evelon (06-06-2016)
Old 06-06-2016, 07:56 AM   #12
U-235
Sample Destroyer
U-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond repute
Fields of Gold
MC Status: 6410

I actually listen to Soundcloud.
U-235 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:37 AM   #13
Somn
Minor Glitch
Somn is a name known to allSomn is a name known to allSomn is a name known to allSomn is a name known to allSomn is a name known to allSomn is a name known to all
Stockholm
MC Status: 560

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
I know this is easy to say, but forget about the followers..just focus on making the best music you can. If you're music is good enough then it will catch on with people.
I believe this should be your main goal and purpose but there will be little happening unless you get people to listen to your tracks. Spreading your music needs to be a part of your work. There is a much bigger chance of them hearing your music if its brought to them, instead of just stumbling over it by chance.

But I agree, the main purpose is to make music so good that there is no chance of getting it denied when you start marketing it.
Somn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:42 AM   #14
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 44910

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab View Post
to be fair, 80%* of people who buy idm at least dabble in producing themselves.

its the same with modern jazz and classical music

*- i pulled that number out of my ass
That seems unintuitive. How about all those bedroom DJ's. Hardly any home improvement show these days where the 10yo kiddo ain't got some "rig".

For decades I just bought and listened.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:46 AM   #15
professurreal
IDMf Artist
professurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MC
at the end of the tunnel
MC Status: 58460
Thanked 1,169 Times in 782 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
That seems unintuitive. How about all those bedroom DJ's. Hardly any home improvement show these days where the 10yo kiddo ain't got some "rig".

For decades I just bought and listened.
Quote:
i pulled that number out of my ass
You should learn to read between the lines

------------------
professurreal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 12:02 PM   #16
ab
IDMf Artist
ab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MC
Duesseldorf
MC Status: 46079964
Thanked 1,226 Times in 826 Posts

wat. i didnt write anything between the lines

Code:
Content visible to registered users only.

------------------
ab is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 12:03 PM   #17
professurreal
IDMf Artist
professurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MC
at the end of the tunnel
MC Status: 58460
Thanked 1,169 Times in 782 Posts

Quote:
wat. i didnt write anything between the lines

Code:
Content visible to registered users only.

------------------
professurreal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 05:11 PM   #18
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7236379

Quote:
Just like it did with less-known names such as Bach and Scarlatti during their lifetimes, right?

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Blingley
A.M (06-07-2016)
Old 06-06-2016, 05:35 PM   #19
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8514530
Thanked 6,472 Times in 4,626 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelon View Post
I agree 100% here. Soundcloud is just a place to store/stream your music. But YouTube and Spotify work equally well when combined with social media.

Quote:
Not that one shouldn't strive to make the best music they can, but these days I think it is very necessary to actively seek an audience and interact with them. There is so much music (and other distractions) out there on the web just because something is "good" doesn't mean it will rise to the top like cream.

I assure you that if you make a groundbreaking electronic album and all you do is upload it to soundcloud no one will hear it. Because honestly, even if a few people stumble across it and love it, it is really hard to get people to click that "repost" button.

All that being said, I don't really know how to get people's attention. I think consistently providing people with new content on a predictable schedule is huge.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 12:33 AM   #20
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65310
Thanked 1,306 Times in 985 Posts

There was a time in the past when I was one of the top SoundClick artists for my subgenres.
I did make good tunes, but I have to admit alot of the attention came from me manually advertising my tracks on about 12 different audio forums every time I released a track.

That was back in the days before SoundCloud. But it is still relevant as a concept. If you spread the word manually you can kick your plays up a bit. But you have to put forth the effort.

The nice thing was, after people learned of my tunes, some of them became regular fans.
I miss the early days of SoundCloud though.
The current incarnation of SoundCloud has too much social networking and too much "RADIO" style nonsense.

I abandoned SoundClick, but there are still some good artists there.

Advertisements

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote