Novation Launchpad mini or Akai APC mini?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 14-05-2016, 06:09 PM   #1
Sons of Achab
Radial Developer
Sons of Achab has a reputation beyond reputeSons of Achab has a reputation beyond reputeSons of Achab has a reputation beyond reputeSons of Achab has a reputation beyond reputeSons of Achab has a reputation beyond reputeSons of Achab has a reputation beyond reputeSons of Achab has a reputation beyond reputeSons of Achab has a reputation beyond reputeSons of Achab has a reputation beyond reputeSons of Achab has a reputation beyond reputeSons of Achab has a reputation beyond repute
Toulouse
MC Status: 2460
Icon5 Novation Launchpad mini or Akai APC mini?

Everything is in the title. Until now I didn't use much the Ableton Live session view, but new projects make me want to give it a try.

The two models seems really similar so I don't really know which one to choose, can anyone help me??

Advertisements

------------------
Sons of Achab is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 06:42 PM   #2
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1531827
Thanked 1,872 Times in 1,203 Posts
Re: Novation Launchpad mini or Akai APC mini?

functionality of these 2 devices will be similar, although the APC will give you faders.

I'm a Launchpad user, I like them I've got the Launchpad S and a Launchpad RGB to use to set up sessions for my clients (the Launchpad S is no longer being made, so i have to keep up)

I like the Launchpad for a set of controls/buttons that are user map-able, i rarely use it in "control surface" mode, where it automatically maps to clips in session mode.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to chasedobson
Jaded (15-05-2016)
Old 26-05-2016, 02:25 PM   #3
pavleas
Microknight
pavleas is a glorious beacon of lightpavleas is a glorious beacon of lightpavleas is a glorious beacon of lightpavleas is a glorious beacon of lightpavleas is a glorious beacon of light
Athens
MC Status: 460

i would recommend buying a midi keyboard which also has some pads in it, but it depends on what you want it for. If you want to do stuff like m4sonic, then go for launchpad mini. I was also researching about these items some months ago. If i had to choose i would get novation, never used it but has more good reviews.

------------------
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐ ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐ ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
https://soundcloud.com/pavleas/nosferatu
pavleas is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 06:02 AM   #4
Buzz BassDesign
Minor Glitch
Buzz BassDesign is a jewel in the roughBuzz BassDesign is a jewel in the roughBuzz BassDesign is a jewel in the roughBuzz BassDesign is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 310

I would say something like stop looking at the brands and look at the number of components you can use to map midi, for example if you need pads and faders go for Akai, if you needs loads of buttons go for the Launchpad.
If you want to play like finger drumming I don't recommend any of them, the pads are just way too small.
Buzz BassDesign is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: http://buzzbassdesign.weebly.com/
Old 17-07-2016, 01:43 PM   #5
Sepluva
Learning The Ropes
Sepluva is currently spamming hard
Amsterdam
MC Status: 10

Did you make up your mind yet? I own them both but I'm very used to my launchpad, you can map almost everything you like, I got the feeling that the APC is a bit more limited. But of course, it depends on what you want to use it for. I mostly use it when playing live, when recording at home i think the faders of the APC are easier to use.
Sepluva is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 10:28 AM   #6
Sons of Achab
Radial Developer
Sons of Achab has a reputation beyond reputeSons of Achab has a reputation beyond reputeSons of Achab has a reputation beyond reputeSons of Achab has a reputation beyond reputeSons of Achab has a reputation beyond reputeSons of Achab has a reputation beyond reputeSons of Achab has a reputation beyond reputeSons of Achab has a reputation beyond reputeSons of Achab has a reputation beyond reputeSons of Achab has a reputation beyond reputeSons of Achab has a reputation beyond repute
Toulouse
MC Status: 2460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepluva View Post
Did you make up your mind yet?
Yes, but I totally changed my mind, I thought that it worth spending a little bit more money and I bought an APC40 mk2 and a MPD218. I'm using them since a few month now, and I'm really happy with it!

------------------
Sons of Achab is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 12:29 PM   #7
foilmusiq
Granular Poster
foilmusiq has a spectacular aura aboutfoilmusiq has a spectacular aura aboutfoilmusiq has a spectacular aura about
Zg
MC Status: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sons of Achab View Post
Yes, but I totally changed my mind, I thought that it worth spending a little bit more money and I bought an APC40 mk2 and a MPD218. I'm using them since a few month now, and I'm really happy with it!
Just wanted to write that i would go to APC20/40 because of faders, i am using push, but i feel lack of noth having faders for chanells.

Advertisements

foilmusiq is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote