Computer Specs
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 18-04-2016, 02:56 PM   #1
Z4dok
Regular Freak
Z4dok is a glorious beacon of lightZ4dok is a glorious beacon of lightZ4dok is a glorious beacon of lightZ4dok is a glorious beacon of lightZ4dok is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 460
Computer Specs

SO I have grown tired of getting creative about extensive operations to manage a laptop not built for music production and I'm looking to get into building my first custom PC, (on a budget).

Can anyone share some insight to building a custom computer for under $1,000 CAD? Is it possible to get perfect performance with no lags with these prices? What kind of specs would you prioritize over others?

I've been looking at some motherboards supporting up to 64gb of ram. Not sure if it'd be overkill, but working on 8gb when my computer doesn't even use it all (x64 software and os), I almost want to go overboard so I never run into these issues. Can't even complete mixes!

Advertisements

Z4dok is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 02:57 PM   #2
Z4dok
Regular Freak
Z4dok is a glorious beacon of lightZ4dok is a glorious beacon of lightZ4dok is a glorious beacon of lightZ4dok is a glorious beacon of lightZ4dok is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Computer Specs

Or if there are any useful links or threads you're aware of, please let me know of them
Old 18-04-2016, 05:36 PM   #3
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 19660

trust me your going to still get lag etc im running a very powerful system (overclocked intel 5930k 6 core to 4.5 ghz 64 gigs of 3000mhz corsair platinium ddr4 ram 2 gtx 980ti in sli and around 18 terrabyites of harddrive space set across various ssds solid state hard drives and an intel nvme ssd.) and i still do thats what bouncing to audio is for.
Also look at this site
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
(my rig )
you can build your pc there and see what you can get.
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 05:38 PM   #4
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 25810

Mac book pro!
But yeah, what @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
said!

------------------
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 05:39 PM   #5
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC

fuck macs
Old 18-04-2016, 06:03 PM   #6
Z4dok
Regular Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by joem View Post
trust me your going to still get lag etc im running a very powerful system (overclocked intel 5930k 6 core to 4.5 ghz 64 gigs of 3000mhz corsair platinium ddr4 ram 2 gtx 980ti in sli and around 18 terrabyites of harddrive space set across various ssds solid state hard drives and an intel nvme ssd.) and i still do thats what bouncing to audio is for.
Also look at this site
you can build your pc there and see what you can get.
Damnnn, that is a beast setup! I guess there are limitations in the software then that still cause issues. Surely it still makes a massive difference, though. Does it use all of your ram?

Also yeah, not interested in a mac lol
Old 18-04-2016, 06:22 PM   #7
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 25810

Yeah it's cool on the Mac thing, I just like fanning those flames if you will
But seriously I don't think you can expect to run 20 tracks of vsti's and a ton of effects regardless of your computer's specs. Just my own experience tho someone might correct me!

------------------
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to jbvdb493
jVs (20-04-2016)
Old 18-04-2016, 08:42 PM   #8
joem
Savage Mad Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4dok View Post
Damnnn, that is a beast setup! I guess there are limitations in the software then that still cause issues. Surely it still makes a massive difference, though. Does it use all of your ram?

Also yeah, not interested in a mac lol
no not in music i do in video editing sometimes as i use it for work to i have my own website making business so i also edit video to on it for companys who want video.
But on the muisc front i go for a less is more approach all you realistically need is dab of eq slight compression and route to busses with some bus compression/ limiting on them do reverb and delays on sends or set up fx channels and route stuff to them to. that is it.
Old 19-04-2016, 06:33 PM   #9
joem
Savage Mad Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTD View Post
I built my own PC. Never experienced any lag and I've throw a lot at it. Never had to bounce down tracks and I edit GoPro footage on it no problem. My system is fairly low grade in the gaming, overclocking world too.

Cooler Master tower, simple one that had power supply and fan built in.
Standard Asus motherboard
IntelCore i7,
16GB Kingston Ram (Since upgrade to 32 but not needed, just being indulgent)
Asus Graphics card, cheapest one they did. My only criteria was that it did two monitors.
60GB SSD - The SSD is a must but bit of a mistake with the size. I was hoping to run Windows 7 and key applications from it but 60GB is only big enough for Windows 7 64 Bit and Ableton. I would have got a bigger one if doing it again.
Standard 1TB HDD, cant remember the brand. I've since added a 500GB SDD that I keep all music production on and everything else on the normal HDD.

Motu Audio Express external soundcard. This is the only thing I'd struggle to recommend. It's great and sounds great when it plays fair, which is 99% of the time. But I had a nightmare installing it - it took me 2 days to figure out I had to disable USB3 in the Bios. And it crackles sometimes after extended periods of use and I need to reset the card and computer. An annoyance more than anything to be fair.

Just to give you an idea. I can run 15 tracks in FL Studio 5-6 of them VST's I can have up to 5-6 FX on each channel and the same again on say 4 busses and 3 FX on the sends. I could probably have more, never tested it but the above is a typical track for me. And of them third party and not native to FL Studio too.
it all depends on gere though i make dnb and im exceeding the 99 channel track limit in fl

Last edited by joem; 20-04-2016 at 07:14 PM..
Old 19-04-2016, 07:16 PM   #10
Ap0C552
Digital Surfer
Ap0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to behold
Winnipeg
MC Status: 848

This is the end all be all answer to your question.

CPU CPU CPU CPU!!

Get the best CPU, or get a set up and cooling that allows for overclocking.

CPU is what does ALL the work when doing signal processing!

Running 4 instance of U-he diva won't scratch the surface of ram using, obviously won't touch your gpu, won't require IO work from your hard drive............but it will pin your CPU to 100% for sure!

Get the best CPU you can, learn about overclocking, get an all in one water cooling solution.

Invest in an amazing CPU, and a high end noise isolation case, so you can overclock if you want.

Whatever it takes to get more CPU!

------------------
Ap0C552 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 01:08 AM   #11
EdenC
EdenC is a splendid one to beholdEdenC is a splendid one to beholdEdenC is a splendid one to beholdEdenC is a splendid one to beholdEdenC is a splendid one to beholdEdenC is a splendid one to behold
UK
MC Status: 660

The CPU is the most important part of getting decent performance for your daw. Most mobos support at least 32GB of ram, so that or a gpu (for "multitasking") can be bought later. Also don't buy a cheap PoS psu if you like having a PC that works. So...

1. Focus on the CPU
2. Don't skimp on the PSU
3. 8Gb of ram will be fine
4. Don't skimp on the PSU

------------------
I fondle FL Studio until things come out.
https://soundcloud.com/edenscoming
EdenC is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 08:24 PM   #12
makrsamples
Regular Freak
makrsamples will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

In my experience with budget laptops, -HQ cpus are the best option under $1000, and if you're building your own computer, use a -k cpu, if Intel.
makrsamples is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 01:11 AM   #13
equilibr1um
Learning The Ropes
equilibr1um will become famous soon enoughequilibr1um will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

I use reason 4 and my computer is:

OS: 64 bit Windows 10 Home (Version 10.0 Build 14393), CPU: 4 x Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-5010U CPU @ 2.10GHz @ 2095 MHz 256 KB Cache, MEM: 4009 MB, DISKS SSD: total 118 GB, GFX: Intel(R) HD Graphics 5500 1024 MB, SCREEN: Generic PnP Monitor, 1920 x 1080 @ 32 bit, 60 Hz, AUDIO: Realtek High Definition Audio

Soh in resume, my pc is more then capable of doing insane stuff with reason 4.

Advertisements

equilibr1um is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote