Good resources for learning music theory?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 11-04-2016, 10:03 AM   #1
uptick
Learning The Ropes
uptick will become famous soon enoughuptick will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110
Good resources for learning music theory?

a little backstory first:
I've been an avid music listener for longer than I can remember and have been exposed to and learned to appreciate music in various forms and from various regions. Though never really truly studied an instrument - have taken piano lessons when I was little, but I wouldn't really count that since i did not continue the studies and it was a rather brief experience.

However,ever since I was little, I have been whistling nonstop, to the point where now I can vibrato with ease, listen to a tune and whistle along; improvising as I go regardless of its genre. And basically just take the existing melody as the base and go wild with it and recreate it on the spot. In the same way, when it comes to music production, I'm much the same way.

Though, for me, it's ridiculously hard to come up with an original idea or score on my own. However, If i listen to a song and it catches my fancy, I am able to immediately hum it or whistle it along and freestyle it on the spot, manipulating it on the spot and just run with it so to speak after hearing its rhythm and melody. But coming up with something off the top of my head has always been difficult for me.

Also,just humming/singing/whistling a melody is one thing, however, being able to conceptualize a piece of multi-layer song with different sounds and instruments coming in and playing at different segments of the song is something that I have always find incredibly hard to do.

It just seems like without the proper understanding of music or enough practice,I am only able to be creative at a very one dimensional level, whereas the complexity of a song often times require you to be able to hear and visualize in multi-dimensions- to direct and lead an entire orchestra. That is something I'm having the hardest time with.

Sorry for such a lengthy post, but would Music Theory help in this department? Surely this is common problem for many as well! If so, does anyone have any good recommendations as to what would help ? Or know of any good materials for learning Music Theory? This can be dvds, books, websites, I'm opened to all options.

Lastly, I've been meaning to learn the Harmonica for the longest time- thinking that perhaps my skills in whistling would translate well into this wind instrument, and I certainly will begin my journey real soon, but when it comes to instruments, piano is probably the most versatile and commonly used tool for electronic music when it comes to inputting and laying out a melody right?

Advertisements

uptick is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 11:30 AM   #2
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 17860
Re: good resources for learning Music Theory?

Youtube
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 01:59 PM   #3
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269451908
Thanked 2,566 Times in 1,739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptick View Post
a little backstory first:
I've been an avid music listener for longer than I can remember and have been exposed to and learned to appreciate music in various forms and from various regions. Though never really truly studied an instrument - have taken piano lessons when I was little, but I wouldn't really count that since i did not continue the studies and it was a rather brief experience.

However,ever since I was little, I have been whistling nonstop, to the point where now I can vibrato with ease, listen to a tune and whistle along; improvising as I go regardless of its genre. And basically just take the existing melody as the base and go wild with it and recreate it on the spot. In the same way, when it comes to music production, I'm much the same way.

Though, for me, it's ridiculously hard to come up with an original idea or score on my own. However, If i listen to a song and it catches my fancy, I am able to immediately hum it or whistle it along and freestyle it on the spot, manipulating it on the spot and just run with it so to speak after hearing its rhythm and melody. But coming up with something off the top of my head has always been difficult for me.

Also,just humming/singing/whistling a melody is one thing, however, being able to conceptualize a piece of multi-layer song with different sounds and instruments coming in and playing at different segments of the song is something that I have always find incredibly hard to do.

It just seems like without the proper understanding of music or enough practice,I am only able to be creative at a very one dimensional level, whereas the complexity of a song often times require you to be able to hear and visualize in multi-dimensions- to direct and lead an entire orchestra. That is something I'm having the hardest time with.

Sorry for such a lengthy post, but would Music Theory help in this department? Surely this is common problem for many as well! If so, does anyone have any good recommendations as to what would help ? Or know of any good materials for learning Music Theory? This can be dvds, books, websites, I'm opened to all options.

Lastly, I've been meaning to learn the Harmonica for the longest time- thinking that perhaps my skills in whistling would translate well into this wind instrument, and I certainly will begin my journey real soon, but when it comes to instruments, piano is probably the most versatile and commonly used tool for electronic music when it comes to inputting and laying out a melody right?
Do you use Ableton Live?
You could record different clips of your whistling then convert the audio to midi.

------------------
Automageddon is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 05:54 PM   #4
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8524530
Thanked 6,672 Times in 4,759 Posts

Free: Ravespiral's guide to music theory.

Pay: Music Theory for Computer Musicians

Also look up the youtube channel/user "Art of Composing" they break things down into really small, useful lessons. You can do one thing at a time, use it in a couple songs, then come back for more. All the freeware stuff is pretty useful and "just enough" for most electronic music.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 08:04 PM   #5
stray medicine
Savage Mad Cunt
stray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MC
Minneapolis
MC Status: 19110
Re: Good resources for learning music theory?

Wikipedia in general is a nice resource, and it's also a nice resource to find resources.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

This is a book my brother has been referring to me for a few months, just found a free PDF for it

------------------
andrewchapmanart.com
stray medicine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 10:46 PM   #6
oDDgOD
Soundscaper
oDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond repute
Colorado Springs, CO
MC Status: 5360

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Music Theory, 2nd Edition (Complete Idiot's Guides (Lifestyle Paperback)): Michael Miller: 9781592574377: Amazon.com: Books [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

The Complete Idiots Guide to Music Theory...did wonders for me.

------------------
Anybody can be good at something but it takes real effort to suck as bad as I do.
oDDgOD is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 06:49 AM   #7
auregnas
Regular Freak
auregnas has a spectacular aura aboutauregnas has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160

Music Theory for Dummies is pretty good too! I did find the Ravenspiral guide on par though, so maybe check that out as a (free!) first taste and then get into Youtube tutorials etc. I'm keen to check out some electronic-specific music theory books just to see how much they depart from general music theory, though.
auregnas is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 06:09 AM   #8
Amarez
Learning The Ropes
Amarez will become famous soon enough
Colorado
MC Status: 60

IMO, I believe music theory is learned best through piano lessons. I've learned a lot about timing, notes, key signatures, and many more. The piano seems to be the foundation of all to me.
Amarez is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2016, 06:51 PM   #9
jcar
IDMf Supporter
jcar has a spectacular aura aboutjcar has a spectacular aura aboutjcar has a spectacular aura about
San Diego, CA
MC Status: 210

I'm currently in between week 3 and 4 of this class [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
with Ray Harmony and it has definitely been interesting.

I have been shopping around several sites and courses on theory, some paid and some free, and this one has has at least struck a chord with me. He may not produce the style of music that I want to learn, but he provides an excellent foundation to spring from.

Everyone learn's differently and like me you may have to hunt around until you find something that clicks.

------------------
jcar is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2016, 07:15 PM   #10
Scandra
Soundwave Mangler
Scandra has a reputation beyond reputeScandra has a reputation beyond reputeScandra has a reputation beyond reputeScandra has a reputation beyond reputeScandra has a reputation beyond reputeScandra has a reputation beyond reputeScandra has a reputation beyond reputeScandra has a reputation beyond reputeScandra has a reputation beyond reputeScandra has a reputation beyond reputeScandra has a reputation beyond repute
Milan
MC Status: 5260

series of videos was posted yesterday on reddit [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
. Haven't had time to check whether they are good or not but, they seem to cover a lot of topics, from time signatures to chords and chord progessions.

Advertisements

------------------
Scandra is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote