Interesting read on forms in music - narrative and psychological rather than harmony
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 04-02-2016, 11:20 PM   #1
TL072
Master of the LFO
TL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 6110
Interesting read on forms in music - narrative and psychological rather than harmony

This 58 page book I stumbled across on the internet might be of interest to some of you on here.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

The author uses examples from classical music, but not be a classical musician, I just skipped the examples and enjoyed the reading.

Basically the writer talks about the way in which musical ideas are connected to a narrative structure in our memory. Rather than talking about harmony, the writer gives a simple (not too academic) overview of how we tend to perceive music over a time period.

The writer then gives some nice simple ideas of how to create continuity, contrast, transitions, variety, climaxes, and so on.

I think many of the ideas would be very familiar to electronic musicians and this writing might inspire some ideas if you are feeling a bit stuck on a track.

For a while I have been thinking about what vocabularies could be used for explaining changes and structures of tracks. This author explicitly sets out to avoid talking about harmony (in anything but the most general terms) and talks about these units of music - so quite nice.

Advertisements

TL072 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:26 AM   #2
exatoh
Learning The Ropes
exatoh is on a distinguished road
Burgas
MC Status: 10
Re: Interesting read on forms in music - narrative and psychological rather than harm

Quite interesting, thank you!
exatoh is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 12:42 AM   #3
U-235
Sample Destroyer
U-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond repute
Fields of Gold
MC Status: 6410
Re: Interesting read on forms in music - narrative and psychological rather than harm

Very interesting, I plan on checking it out. As I have a classical background I find this interesting.
U-235 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 02:02 AM   #4
Moppy
Granular Poster
Moppy is on a distinguished road
Cairns
MC Status: 10

An excellent read and is proving to be very useful! Thanks for sharing
Moppy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:51 PM   #5
N-BDY
Regular Freak
N-BDY has a spectacular aura aboutN-BDY has a spectacular aura aboutN-BDY has a spectacular aura about
Helsinki
MC Status: 210

Seems like a cool little book. Already got a few ideas just browsing through it.
N-BDY is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:28 PM   #6
Luke_Nukem
Granular Poster
Luke_Nukem is just really niceLuke_Nukem is just really niceLuke_Nukem is just really niceLuke_Nukem is just really nice
MC Status: 360

Definitely gonna give this one a read, although I do really struggle with long reads on screen. Maybe I need to find a printer...
Luke_Nukem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 02:07 AM   #7
Son of Akira
IDMf Artist
Son of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MC
over yonder, behind them old railroad tracks
MC Status: 47684920

I agree, but I'd add that anybody with expertise in harmony/western harmony will and should say the same thing: harmony is not and should not be mistaken as part of the essential definition of 'what music is'. To me, somebody that's studied harmony a fair amount, it's actually a way to tell if a person knows what they're talking about .

The basic definition is 'music is rhythm and melody' and that falls in line with the linear time/narrative/horizontal process...

Wait, I know what you're thinking!

Isn't rhythm and melody a rigid definition, especially for some electronic music?!! Well, no, because it allows the lack of rhythm and/or melody to be considered anti-rhythm and anti-melody, still maintaining the proper context. In fact, much of what might be considered anti-rhythm/melody is actually rhythm and melody. If we hold down a single key of an organ so it drones, that IS a rhythm and a melody, albeit a very simple (or super abstract and complicated ) example of both

Advertisements

------------------
Son of Akira is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote