affordable synths and/or other instruments
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 24-02-2016, 02:59 AM   #1
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ
mute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MC
a garden with a cassette player
MC Status: 19860
affordable synths and/or other instruments

anyone know any very VERY low priced instruments or diy projects that don't cost much? I am a low budget producer and have about $100 to spend on new instruments or parts for one, if there are any synths, I prefer polyphonic ones, thanks guys.

Advertisements

mute machine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 03:03 AM   #2
Tsachi
i don't understand
Tsachi has a reputation beyond reputeTsachi has a reputation beyond reputeTsachi has a reputation beyond reputeTsachi has a reputation beyond reputeTsachi has a reputation beyond reputeTsachi has a reputation beyond reputeTsachi has a reputation beyond reputeTsachi has a reputation beyond reputeTsachi has a reputation beyond reputeTsachi has a reputation beyond reputeTsachi has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 9860
Re: affordable synths and/or other instruments

Nope :^)

------------------

Lol wut happened to the chatbox
Tsachi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 03:04 AM   #3
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ
mute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsachi View Post
Nope :^)
thanks bud.
Old 24-02-2016, 03:15 AM   #4
Tsachi
i don't understand
Tsachi has a reputation beyond reputeTsachi has a reputation beyond reputeTsachi has a reputation beyond reputeTsachi has a reputation beyond reputeTsachi has a reputation beyond reputeTsachi has a reputation beyond reputeTsachi has a reputation beyond reputeTsachi has a reputation beyond reputeTsachi has a reputation beyond reputeTsachi has a reputation beyond reputeTsachi has a reputation beyond repute

Lol I'm sorry to do that to you.

Just found this thing called the MIDIvampire, but it's supposedly out of stock. Sounds pretty neat tho:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Then there's this website that has a bunch of kits you can look at:

Mebbe that helps you on your search for cheap goodness?

btw the synthcube site is a bunch of modular stuff so maybe not the best route for one-stop synths

------------------

Old 24-02-2016, 03:17 AM   #5
jVs
IDMf Supporter
jVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MC
Scruffy City
MC Status: 105317589

Man you should top up to at least $400 if you're going to realistically succeed in finding something decent. The Korg Micrologue is $500 and from what I've read/listened to, It could change your life forever.

You could probably get a cheap Yamaha and components around the $200 possibly.

------------------
Make synths 1984 again.
jVs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 03:23 AM   #6
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8524530
Thanked 6,672 Times in 4,759 Posts

That is a pretty low price point. Maybe you could get a used Korg Volca for around that. I'm sure there are all kinds of DIY projects...have you tried google for that (sorry to be that guy...)? Personally I don't know which end of a hammer to hold so I'm no good in that regard.

jVs is right that if you could possible save up some more money there are some entry into the hardware game has become very cheap. A used Arturia MicroBrute should go for nicely under 300USD. I'm not a huge fan, but bang for buck factor is high.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 03:24 AM   #7
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 23860

Yup saving up and eBay is your answer

------------------
jbvdb493 is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 03:36 AM   #8
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
That is a pretty low price point. Maybe you could get a used Korg Volca for around that. I'm sure there are all kinds of DIY projects...have you tried google for that (sorry to be that guy...)? Personally I don't know which end of a hammer to hold so I'm no good in that regard.

jVs is right that if you could possible save up some more money there are some entry into the hardware game has become very cheap. A used Arturia MicroBrute should go for nicely under 300USD. I'm not a huge fan, but bang for buck factor is high.
I have the arturia microbrute, I didn't just start my adventure, but I'm looking to get another instrument to add into my "wide collection of expensive synths that I have been collecting since I was 14"
Old 24-02-2016, 03:37 AM   #9
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jVs View Post
Man you should top up to at least $400 if you're going to realistically succeed in finding something decent. The Korg Micrologue is $500 and from what I've read/listened to, It could change your life forever.

You could probably get a cheap Yamaha and components around the $200 possibly.
I'm thinking about getting one of the casiotones, and/or a casio, they are pretty cheap, and I like that lo-fi sound
Old 24-02-2016, 03:42 AM   #10
jVs
IDMf Supporter
jVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MC
Scruffy City
MC Status: 105317589

Quote:
Originally Posted by mute machine View Post
I'm thinking about getting one of the casiotones, and/or a casio, they are pretty cheap, and I like that lo-fi sound
I would suggest local pawn shops/thrift stores. They often have older Casio keyboards. Damn man if you find an SK-1, You're set.

------------------
Make synths 1984 again.
jVs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 03:43 AM   #11
Tsachi
i don't understand

Get an otamatone

------------------

Old 24-02-2016, 04:15 AM   #12
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mute machine View Post
I have the arturia microbrute, I didn't just start my adventure, but I'm looking to get another instrument to add into my "wide collection of expensive synths that I have been collecting since I was 14"
That's cool man. MeeBlip has a few cool little gadgets in your price range. There are also the Teenage Engineering Pocket Operators. If you look for a sale or buy them used you might get two for your money.

------------------
Old 24-02-2016, 04:31 AM   #13
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
That's cool man. MeeBlip has a few cool little gadgets in your price range. There are also the Teenage Engineering Pocket Operators. If you look for a sale or buy them used you might get two for your money.
if you know what equipboard is, check mine out, it lists all of my equipment, just search up equipboard and search my username, I have two pocket operators, also, thanks guys I will look these up

Last edited by mute machine; 24-02-2016 at 03:00 PM..
Old 25-02-2016, 05:56 AM   #14
opticaloutcast
Minor Glitch
opticaloutcast has a spectacular aura aboutopticaloutcast has a spectacular aura aboutopticaloutcast has a spectacular aura about
Shanghai
MC Status: 210

Korg Volca series can't be beat on low price to usefulness and flexibility. They do retail for a little over a hundred though so you would need to up your budget unless you can get one second hand.
opticaloutcast is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 11:23 AM   #15
Keef Baker
Keef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MCKeef Baker is a savage MC
Leeds
MC Status: 10176330

You could have a look at the teenage engineering pocket stuff. That's quite fun.

You could also go the volcas. I mean, I have the volca keys and I think it's absolutely wank but some people like them.

------------------
Updated spotify list of all the stuff I've been involved with here:
And bandcamp for stuff I wouldn't even go to a record company with here: https://keefbaker.bandcamp.com/
There's other stuff out there but I can't be fucked to list it.
Keef Baker is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 03:23 AM   #16
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644118
Thanked 4,897 Times in 3,160 Posts

- 139.00 - video is for last years Kickstarter campaign but it's funded and readily available on eBay.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 03:51 AM   #17
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1530377
Thanked 1,843 Times in 1,190 Posts

find a DX21 on ebay.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 04:06 AM   #18
relic
IDMf Supporter
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

You might find a MeeBlip Anode for around 100USD

------------------
Old 26-02-2016, 04:31 AM   #19
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO

my bad. DX27

------------------
Old 26-02-2016, 04:31 AM   #20
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
Denver, CO

Advertisements

------------------