external hard drive stopped working! :(
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 02-16-2016, 08:12 AM   #1
Mctoast
Savage Mad Cunt
Mctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MC
MC Status: 38697
external harddrive stopped working! :(

I had a lot of music I had made on it plus other not so important stuff, do you guys know a free recovery program? It doest show up on my comp and it ticks like a dead shit. I heard I can have it thru sata or something? what are my options, if I didn't go to expensive experts who took them out for me.

Last edited by Mctoast; 02-16-2016 at 09:02 AM..

Advertisements

------------------
Mctoast is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:43 AM   #2
lolirl
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 743999141
Thanked 6,634 Times in 4,153 Posts
Re: external hard drive stopped working! :(

Yeah, you can get a lead with 2 usb leads on one end, presumably one for power and one for data?
Anyway, yeah I borrowed one off a friend and managed to get all the info back from my knackered laptop by taking the HD out and plugging into my desktop.

Code:
Content visible to registered users only.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 03:55 PM   #3
Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
Stercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42346049
Thanked 4,241 Times in 2,764 Posts

Depends on type of computer you are using and OS.

Clicking sounds like the drive itself is dead and your options at this point are very limited unless you have a backup.

If you have a PC, you might be able to take the drive out of the external casing and plug it directly into your motherboard. Very much depends on type of drive and what connectivity you have onto your motherboard. A lot more detail required to be able to answer properly.

If its a laptop, forget it, all you can do is cable up externally via whatever method.

If its just the external housing or cables that are broken rather than the drive itself, then as suggested above by lolirl.

------------------
This mind intentionally blank.
Stercogburn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Stercogburn
lolirl (02-16-2016)
Old 02-16-2016, 05:59 PM   #4
ab
IDMf Artist
ab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MC
Duesseldorf
MC Status: 46079864
Thanked 1,224 Times in 824 Posts

often enough, its the controller. as mentioned earlier, rip it apart and connect it directly to the appropriate slot (usb, sata, eide or whathaveyou). if the disk itself is damaged, there is no program that can fix a motor

edit: hd producers may fuck that up for you. i have an (apparently) defective samsung 500 tb disk that has a proprietary connector and a welded-on controller chip, there is no way to "fix" this. trying to solder would fry the whole thing, probably.

------------------
ab is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 08:12 PM   #5
Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
Stercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42346049
Thanked 4,241 Times in 2,764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab View Post
often enough, its the controller. as mentioned earlier, rip it apart and connect it directly to the appropriate slot (usb, sata, eide or whathaveyou). if the disk itself is damaged, there is no program that can fix a motor

edit: hd producers may fuck that up for you. i have an (apparently) defective samsung 500 tb disk that has a proprietary connector and a welded-on controller chip, there is no way to "fix" this. trying to solder would fry the whole thing, probably.
Dress up as Doctor Horrible, cosplay the shit out of it and film the experience. Put it on Youtube, make more money than you lost on the drive and buy a new one with enough cash left over for hookers and booze.

------------------
This mind intentionally blank.
Stercogburn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 08:24 PM   #6
Benwaa

this http://www.r-studio.com/ has saved a few of my drives that went click click clik or whirrrr clunk, including those not recognized by the OS. you d need another drive with enough space to recover the files to though
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:53 AM   #7
jVs
IDMf Supporter
jVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MC
Scruffy City
MC Status: 105314889
Re: external harddrive stopped working! :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mctoast View Post
I had a lot of music I had made on it plus other not so important stuff, do you guys know a free recovery program? It doest show up on my comp and it ticks like a dead shit. I heard I can have it thru sata or something? what are my options, if I didn't go to expensive experts who took them out for me.

just throwing this out there, Was it a Western Digital HDD? Because I suffered the same fate back in 2013 when the damn thing was still fucking new! And like an idiot I didn't think to save any of the warranty info. Who does that anyway?! Needless to say, I hope to fuck that you are able to get your data recovered.

------------------
Make synths 1984 again.
jVs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 12:32 PM   #8
Mctoast
Savage Mad Cunt
Mctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MC
MC Status: 38697

Yeah it was a Western Digital one and yes, it was maybe 2-3 months old or something

I have the warranty, but they just give me a new one instead of data recovery (which is stupid, because no one cares about the drive, but the files.)

I also can't take the broken insides out, because that avoids the warranty and since I can't return it without the insides, I have to buy a new drive for the old files.

I'm going to try to plug it into a computer with my geekier friend and see what happens. Thanks for the help so far.

------------------
Mctoast is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 02:15 PM   #9
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 150360
Thanked 3,007 Times in 2,235 Posts

Quote:
Yeah it was a Western Digital one and yes, it was maybe 2-3 months old or something

I have the warranty, but they just give me a new one instead of data recovery (which is stupid, because no one cares about the drive, but the files.)

I also can't take the broken insides out, because that avoids the warranty and since I can't return it without the insides, I have to buy a new drive for the old files.

I'm going to try to plug it into a computer with my geekier friend and see what happens. Thanks for the help so far.
Do keep us updated here on how things work out for you..this is something we all should know about.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 03:45 PM   #10
RascalTechnoWar
Learning The Ropes
RascalTechnoWar is on a distinguished road
MC Status: 10

Have you tried unplugging it and putting it back in again? Otherwise i'm out of ideas :/
RascalTechnoWar is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: https://www.mixcloud.com/TechnoLiveSets/seth-troxler-b2b-the-martinez-brothers-time-w
Old 02-22-2016, 05:25 PM   #11
jVs
IDMf Supporter
jVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MC
Scruffy City
MC Status: 105314889

Quote:

This serves as proof that there is a flaw in the design of that western dickery. I still use my seagate 250 and I've had it for almost 10 years now. 10 fucking years of no data loss. It makes no sense.

Now my next and most important piece of advice to those who have just recently purchased that piece of shit, Back your files up on a different device and get your money back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RascalTechnoWar View Post
Have you tried unplugging it and putting it back in again? Otherwise i'm out of ideas :/
It's an exercise in futility. It will only build you up with a false hope.

------------------
Make synths 1984 again.
jVs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 07:59 PM   #12
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 150360
Thanked 3,007 Times in 2,235 Posts

Tbh, I'm leaning more and more to Cloud or Online back up as a means of storing my stuff. Lets face it..ALL drives are going to die on you sooner or later..but at least with online back up you know your stuff is always going to be there no matter what..well, that's the idea behind the model.

I know it's not the best if you need to access stuff in real time, but it's still a very workable setup if you plan ahead,,or just use it for long-term storage / safekeeping.

I'm currently looking into this and trying to find the best, yet cheapest way to go about this..and from what I can see it's still best on your pocket to just get yourself a web hosting account and use the space to store your stuff, rather than buying space directly from a storage service such as DropBox or one of the others companies like it.

For anyone interested in this, I used DropBox as a benchmark for plan prices (they offer a "basic" plan of 2GB for free and then a "Pro" plan of 1TB for around $10 per month) and the best I've found to date is offered by http://impwebhosting.net/, who offer a Business Package with "Unlimited Disk Space" for $6.25 per month. (EDIT: Worth pointing out you have to pay for a year up front and not month-to-month billing..but it's still not bad..even cheaper, if you plumed for the "starter" package they offer for $4.17 per month / $50 per year)

For the record, I don't know how good these people are or what their support is like, so you'd have to do your own investigating into them if you were thinking of using them as a storage option.

Obviously this is going to make a lot more sense to anyone who is thinking of setting up their own site, as this option kills two birds with one stone..your website and storage for your files.

This is obviously only one such choice an I'd love to hear of any others you guys know of or find. maybe we should have a thread on here for all of this kind of stuff..and my apologies to Mctoast if this reads like a hijack or derail..just running with what you started, buddy.

Last edited by A.M; 02-22-2016 at 10:09 PM..

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to A.M
U-235 (05-23-2016)
Old 05-22-2016, 11:34 PM   #13
NataliaZombie
Minor Glitch
NataliaZombie is a jewel in the roughNataliaZombie is a jewel in the roughNataliaZombie is a jewel in the rough
South Carolina
MC Status: 260
Re: external harddrive stopped working! :(

Quote:
do you guys know a free recovery program? what are my options, if I didn't go to expensive experts who took them out for me.
I also would like to know of any recovery programs.

But If I really wanted data from an external drive I wouldn't mind paying someone to recover it for me. You just gotta be willing to pay up for stuff you really want or need!

I have an SSD drive that I use just to store my music purchases, software and songs I make. I am going to get another one to back those files up and never touch it. That would be your best option. Backup your backup. And since I will probably always pay for internet connection I will always stream my music from now on just to get my money's worth.

Heck no, I would never pay a monthly fee on top of my internet service just to store sh*t.

Advertisements

NataliaZombie is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote