Mixing Kick and Bass in Trap music?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 02-05-2016, 04:15 AM   #1
AsherPostman
Learning The Ropes
AsherPostman is on a distinguished road
MC Status: 10
Mixing Kick and Bass in Trap music?

I'm trying to figure out how Trap and Drum and Bass artists get kick and bass to mix so well without using sidechain. Their kicks have a nice punch, and yet the sub bass still manages to come through really clearly. I know it matters what kick sample you use, but there's got to be some trick to how you EQ it so that it doesn't screw up you sub every time it hits. Anyone have some advice for me?

Advertisements

AsherPostman is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 04:23 AM   #2
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8508180
Thanked 6,345 Times in 4,551 Posts
Re: Mixing Kick and Bass in Trap music?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsherPostman View Post
I'm trying to figure out how Trap and Drum and Bass artists get kick and bass to mix so well without using sidechain. Their kicks have a nice punch, and yet the sub bass still manages to come through really clearly. I know it matters what kick sample you use, but there's got to be some trick to how you EQ it so that it doesn't screw up you sub every time it hits. Anyone have some advice for me?
My guess is that they are using side chain compression or some kind of volume automation. More than likely they are dialing in the parameters so that you don't get that obvious "pumping" effect. It is possible they might be using some kind of "side chain" EQ or filtering as well.

Usually part of what I do is to use a notch EQ on the bass to cut out the fundamental frequency of the kick. Also you can low cut the kick up until the point that it looses too much weight. You can even then automate this so when the bass isn't playing the kick can cover the lack of low end.

Also, make sure you are cutting the lows out of everything else that doesn't need it so you have plenty of headroom for that big kick and bass. And just as an aside, IMO a lot DnB doesn't acutally employ very bass-y kicks. Like you wouldn't want a huge boom-y 808 in DnB, more-so something that is punchy around 150hz.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 04:25 AM   #3
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1527027
Thanked 1,776 Times in 1,153 Posts

kill yourself.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 04:27 AM   #4
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1527027
Thanked 1,776 Times in 1,153 Posts

otherwise, subtly sidechain that kick so its not trance/electro house style ducking and go from there.

when i do halftime beats where the kick is the sub-bass line i have a synth for the bassline, and a more mid range kick that ducks the bassline... but i ensure that the kick and the bass hit on the same beats, so that the "kick" is the punchy bit, and the bass is the low end.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to chasedobson
relic (02-05-2016)
Old 02-05-2016, 04:29 AM   #5
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8508180
Thanked 6,345 Times in 4,551 Posts

Chase makes a great point, much of this can be solved purely by arrangemetn and composition : )

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 04:30 AM   #6
AsherPostman
Learning The Ropes
AsherPostman is on a distinguished road
MC Status: 10

Thank you, that's very helpful!

Advertisements

AsherPostman is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote

Mixing Kick and Bass in Trap music? Tags