Ableton Link... Thoughts? Projects?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Workstation Center Digital audio workstations (DAW), trackers, sequencers and programming.

Old 04-02-2016, 11:33 AM   #1
agent
Deep Underground
agent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MC
SEATTLE
MC Status: 526270
Ableton Link... Thoughts? Projects?

Anyone get this today and start messing around with it?

I busted out my two old iPhone 4s' and my iPad and started messing around with iElectribe running through my filter bank and into Live.

Just got the apps Patterning and iMPC to fuck with.. needless to say I'll be dead at work tomorrow

I'm interested in the iMPC's ability to record loops and slice them to pads on the fly instantly via microphone or line input... that ran into some effects,, neat stuff

looking forward to improvements or third party vst/apps that might have ability to send MIDI would be cool

Last edited by agent; 04-02-2016 at 11:42 AM..

Advertisements

agent is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 11:45 AM   #2
professurreal
IDMf Artist
professurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MC
at the end of the tunnel
MC Status: 59060
Thanked 1,181 Times in 787 Posts
Re: Ableton Link... Thoughts? Projects?

I planning on trying it out. I also have the iElectribe and some other iPad Apps I want to test

------------------
professurreal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 06:51 PM   #3
agent
Deep Underground
agent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MC
SEATTLE

One thing I dont like right off, is that there is no start/stop ability... So hitting stop in live cant stop the "linked" devices and visa versa.

I get why you wouldnt want this active always, but it would be nice to be able to select a "master" device that would be able to start/stop the whole project
Old 04-02-2016, 09:21 PM   #4
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 24660

That's strange! I was using patterning and gadget in audiobus with link and I was using audiobus as the master

------------------
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 01:43 AM   #5
agent
Deep Underground
SEATTLE

And when stopping audiobus it stopped Ableton too? Or like when you stopped Ableton the "linked" apps stopped too?

Cuz I couldn't get that to happen.

In the demo videos for link, it does say "stop any app, while all others keep playing" or something like that. So I figured, it can't send stop and play commands
Old 05-02-2016, 03:09 AM   #6
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 24660

Nah I was just using apps, no live yet, but all the apps started and stopped at the same time
Seems like another thing on the iPad that isn't quite there yet maybe?

Oh but link to midi is appealing so I can run gadget along my mpc and sample that, that might end up being how I go about it! At least that's my thought process right now.

------------------
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 05:30 AM   #7
agent
Deep Underground
SEATTLE

currently I have my iPad going through a sherman filter bank and I have a little Alesis 18bit reverb for fun.. dusted off my old vcd and recording into tape then back into ableton for digital to analog to tape to digital weirdness..

I looked into Link for MIDI and didnt see it benefiting my workflow

But I really wanna send MIDI from my iPad easily into my mac, wirelessly via link would be super

Advertisements