Bending and chip tune leads
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 02-02-2016, 09:53 AM   #1
Crude_beats
Banned
Crude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MC
Rocking my boat across the seven seas
MC Status: 115728
Bending and chip tune leads

Just started bending notes more, first time since I started working with ableton. I loved it in fruity, just make them slider notes that could control volume, filter and other things at same time, was awesome and powerful. Ability to group notes to colors and only bend or bend notes differently withing the same midi clip.

Right now I bind a midi slider to synths pitch in someway and try make my slides and bends like that recording and then fine tuning drawing the envelope. If I want different effects on different notes from same instrument I need to make a new layer for that/those notes. DUnno if this is efficient.

This is new to me and I have trouble getting the bends like I want them / how I hear them in my head.

This particular problem arose when I'm working on a chip tuneish song. I realized you cannot get a nice classic chipish lead without some cool bending. Bending bass seems easier for me then more highpitched leads.

I'm just looking for tips really to get the bends as nice as possible if you have any. I guess it is mostly a matter of edit, rerecord, try again until I get it right. But yeah tips are welcome.

Also if you have any tips on those classic low freq organish sounds I'm all ears. I found that wobbling the pitch either with LFO or just the slider adds a lot of nice movement which I think is classic chip effect. I also automate the PW of the osc and it works to get a nice effect. Just feels like I am missing something for this sound, particularly when making fast progressions or arps like smth that sounds like "leveling up" or a powerup sound, they feel a bit thin and my normal EQ treatment doesn't do enough work. Maybe I need some kind of layering. I also tried 2 osc detuned from another but I do not like that effect at all when bending.

Advertisements

Crude_beats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 06:22 AM   #2
Son of Akira
IDMf Artist
Son of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MC
over yonder, behind them old railroad tracks
MC Status: 47684920
Re: Bending and chip tune leads

Are you talking portamento or vibrato or both?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

I've found when emulating this in a DAW you always use way less automation than you think. Like, a violin player for example LOOKS like they're going hard and fast with it but that's because the top of the finger is moving much faster than the tip contacting the string... I hope that makes sense... fulcrum points and etc.

I've never actually made a chiptune sound from scratch; I really like the waveforms but don't use them in a "chiptunish" way. When I've had I used VSTs that usually have portamento and vibrato built in.

------------------
Son of Akira is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:41 PM   #3
Crude_beats
Banned
Crude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MC
Rocking my boat across the seven seas
MC Status: 115728
Re: Bending and chip tune leads

I mean both really.

The portamento is crucial for getting classic chip sounding leads. SO my question is how to I go about making these bends in the best way? I could use portamento settings yeah but it is so fiddely if you want anything else but the same portamento all the time. If I wanna make it go up and down I gotta sit there and try length of notes at various pitches to get the effect I want, and maybe I want linear for one and a more exponential shift for another note. That is why I am more drawn to automate it with a controller then I have better control and its not as fiddly.

I also mean vibrato when talking about those low organish sounds, they wobble quite a lot in many old games and new chip tunes. I know how to get the wobble but there is some part I miss to get the sound I want. I guess its a matter of using more then one layer (and arps) for this sound but I can't really get my head around how to combine to get the sound I want. Example of this sound right at start in this clip:
There is a bit to much going on with the vibrato and progression for me to understand what I lack to get it. Mine sounds for a lack of better word less "authentic", mine sounds more stale.

Last edited by Crude_beats; 08-02-2016 at 12:52 PM..

Advertisements

Crude_beats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote