Sharing a second bedroom, need acoustic treatment / setup advice
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 01-24-2016, 11:06 PM   #1
Syllix
Deep Underground
Syllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MC
MC Status: 1095897
Sharing a second bedroom, need acoustic treatment / studio setup advice

Hey guys,

I find myself in a sticky situation and hope you guys can offer some assistance.

My girlfriend and I moved into a new apartment and I no longer have my own room to have as a studio. We both need a space to work so we're sharing a second bedroom.

This was my before setup:
http://www.syllixmusic.com/uploads/1...19538_orig.jpg

This is my current setup:
http://oi66.tinypic.com/5mg6qu.jpg

And a template of the current room:
http://oi63.tinypic.com/i40k8k.jpg

Obviously, my new mix position is way less than ideal. I'm off-centre, there's a big glass window behind the desk, and the ceilings are now 9ft high. I also cannot use my monitor stands so the monitors have to go on the new desk I bought.

There is little I can do with the arrangement of the desks and bed, and there is no position where I can be centred between the walls (we cannot get rid of the bed either).

I know it's not as good as my last setup, but I'm wondering what I can do to improve it. Currently there is no acoustic foam on the walls, and I have 4 bass traps I will put in the top corners eventually. There's also a nasty echo / buzz when you clap your hands and the early reflections are not hitting my ears equally from the mix position.

What do you guys recommend I do with the acoustic foam? Since the mix position is not centre, where should the foam placement be? I know the position is still terrible but at least having the acoustic foam on the walls somewhere will help with the nasty echo and buzz. I gotta make due for now.

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

------------------
SyllixMusic.com
Find me on Facebook | SoundCloud | YouTube | Bandcamp
Latest project: Daft Punk - Doin' It Right remake!
Syllix is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 01:58 AM   #2
White Noise
Ghostly
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 13510
Re: Sharing a second bedroom, need acoustic treatment / setup advice

I can't find it right now, but we have a thread for this sort of thing. I will link to it here if I come across it.

Outside of that, (and I'm pretty sure I put this in that thread), the trick I've heard of is to sit in the listening position and have someone go around the walls of the room with a mirror. Wherever you can see either of the speakers in the mirror is where you should put foam. I personally just mix on headphones, but that comes with it's whole own set of limitations. So that's a possibility as well, but I can see why you'd want to avoid it.
White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 01:31 PM   #3
DrovesProBona
Learning The Ropes
DrovesProBona is on a distinguished road
MC Status: 10

I'm in a similar sort of situation as you, I now have a very small room with a window behind my desk.
First thing I would think about is putting a lunp of wood on the higher shelf to widen the range of your near fields.

Always have a pair of cans set up to check detail. And get to know your room, put some music on that you are very familiar with and wonder around the room to see how certain elements in music sound sound.
For example I know majority of snares sound crap in my room whilst I am sat at my desk but sound ok if I stand up and take 1 step backwards. I check bass rumble on my cans from kick and bass.

Like me I guess you just make the best out of what you have, don't let let it hold you back though'

I would also recommend getting a pair of those IsoAcustics desktop speaker stands , I previously used foam isolation pads but these are a league of their own.
DrovesProBona is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 01:45 PM   #4
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6893359
Thanked 3,283 Times in 1,994 Posts

I don't have any advice other than to say that you're a very brave man. Hope the relationship survives the noise

Had a loft studio once. We broke up six months into the lease

------------------
For reference:
Quote:
Originally Posted by God*

satan = f i d
my master, my god, my lord and savior = f i d d y
my boner = f i d e l i u m

* I am not God.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 09:25 PM   #5
makrsamples
Regular Freak
makrsamples will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

I feel you man. I'm living in a sub-600 sq. ft. house with my gf and a housemate. Headphones in a lot of the time, unfortunately... more about scheduling studio time than soundproofing.
makrsamples is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 07:23 PM   #6
Syllix
Deep Underground
Syllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MC
MC Status: 1095897

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
I don't have any advice other than to say that you're a very brave man. Hope the relationship survives the noise

Had a loft studio once. We broke up six months into the lease
Thanks, but unfortunately it didn't survive lol. Lasted a bit longer than yours :p

In a new location now with an ideal setup again!! Yay!

Advertisements

------------------
SyllixMusic.com
Find me on Facebook | SoundCloud | YouTube | Bandcamp
Latest project: Daft Punk - Doin' It Right remake!
Syllix is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote