windows 10 drag and drop issue - really fucking me over
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Technology & Lifestyle Gadgets, gaming, computers and new inventions. This forum is not used for music production.

Old 14-01-2016, 08:42 PM   #1
Benwaa
windows 10 drag and drop issue - really fucking me over

ok this is quite aa serious issue for me as i use this function a fuck ton. the drag and drop works fine between all windows apps and functions. However i can suddenly with no reason at all no longer drag and drop into non windows progs such as live and traktor, firefox and chrome too. I can from the file browsers in either app, but i cant do it from an explorer window.
I've googled to fuck and searched forums loads and yet i can't find any solution that works. clicking escape seems to be a favourite answer but this doesn't work in any of the ways i've seen suggested, and neither do any there so called solutions.

any one else have the sae issue at all? if so did you fix it, or are you stuck like me?

Advertisements

Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 08:55 PM   #2
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214389848
Thanked 2,828 Times in 1,763 Posts
Re: windows 10 drag and drop issue - really fucking me over

I don't even have W10 and haven't used the shitty explorer in 10 years...but: Are the files you are trying to drag associated with the said program?

I use TotalCommander (free) for all files related. Yeah, I'm oldschool, but TotalCommander is fast!
I'm on W7. Sorry if I couldn't be much more of a help.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Evelon
Old 14-01-2016, 09:04 PM   #3
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 184510
Thanked 3,690 Times in 2,751 Posts

I don't use 10..went back to 7 again for a number of reasons, but one of them could be what's caused this in your case..basically auto-updating of the OS. There have been cases where shit happens or doesn't happen anymore after updates have been carried out in the background.

It might be worth checking to see if you can roll back your system to an earlier date/restore point. I could be wrong, but I don't think you can turn off these updates in 10..or at least you couldn't before..and that's one of the reasons I dumped it and went back to 7.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 10:50 PM   #4
Benwaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelon View Post
I don't even have W10 and haven't used the shitty explorer in 10 years...but: Are the files you are trying to drag associated with the said program?

I use TotalCommander (free) for all files related. Yeah, I'm oldschool, but TotalCommander is fast!
I'm on W7. Sorry if I couldn't be much more of a help.
so i tried total commander as i have that installed too - but tbh rarely use it. didn't work from there either.

However, the associated thing i changed the mp3 file type to now open with traktor as default. guess what? they now drag and drop into it! but it won't open in live that way, unless.... i change the file type to open as default in live... then it stops working in traktor etc. fucking permissions bollocks i have no idea how to solve right now.

@A.M man i wish i could go back to 7 right now only for ths issue alone. Alas it's been more than a month so that option is gone unless i do a fresh install again. and i'm not doing that again
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 10:56 PM   #5
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benwaa View Post
..Alas it's been more than a month so that option is gone unless i do a fresh install again. and i'm not doing that again
Yeah..I think at this stage MS has tied your reg OS reg code to 10..in effect meaning you can't do a fresh install of 7 anymore..just 10. Fuckers seem hellbent of getting everyone over to 10 and keeping them there..the obvious reason is follow-on app sales and shite like that..but I'm holding on to 7 for music production for as long as I can..and even then I'll move over to Linux push comes to shove..no fucking way am I using 10.

------------------
Old 14-01-2016, 10:58 PM   #6
Benwaa

EIT; it seems the drag and drop fix for traktor only works if i open traktor by clicking on an actual mp3 file. if i launch it using it's shortcut or direct .exe file it doesn't work
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 11:02 PM   #7
A.M

Quote:
EIT; it seems the drag and drop fix for traktor only works if i open traktor by clicking on an actual mp3 file. if i launch it using it's shortcut or direct .exe file it doesn't work
Bummer..don't really know what else you can try, dude, aside from the aforementioned rollback..and I don't even know if it will let you do that to a "pre-updated" date/point.

------------------
Old 15-01-2016, 11:50 AM   #8
Benwaa

Fixed IT!

so rather a fuck about trying ot find the issue. I first tried to run them from their exe files directly. no good. i then changed each prog to run as admin, that didn't work. so i unchecked them as run as admin. that didn't work. i then replaced the shortcuts to each one and guess what? it worked!

so i'm guessing the combo of changing the run as admin option back and forth reset the registry bs for it, and then renewing the shortcuts fixed the issue if i chose to start from them
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 12:43 PM   #9
A.M

Quote:
Fixed IT!

so rather a fuck about trying ot find the issue. I first tried to run them from their exe files directly. no good. i then changed each prog to run as admin, that didn't work. so i unchecked them as run as admin. that didn't work. i then replaced the shortcuts to each one and guess what? it worked!

so i'm guessing the combo of changing the run as admin option back and forth reset the registry bs for it, and then renewing the shortcuts fixed the issue if i chose to start from them
Cool..glad you got it sorted. Nothing worse than a flaky system when you're trying to get stuff done.

------------------
Thanks to A.M
vashima (10-02-2016)
Old 10-02-2016, 05:18 AM   #10
vashima
vashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MC
Pocatello, Idaho
MC Status: 13560

I'm glad you got that fixed man. I was just working on my little brothers W10 laptop last night. On a side note, I just realized that the welsh flag actually has a dragon on it. Fucking awesome
vashima is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2016, 04:56 PM   #11
SWIM_DEEP
Analog Lurker
SWIM_DEEP is a glorious beacon of lightSWIM_DEEP is a glorious beacon of lightSWIM_DEEP is a glorious beacon of lightSWIM_DEEP is a glorious beacon of lightSWIM_DEEP is a glorious beacon of lightSWIM_DEEP is a glorious beacon of light
Riga
MC Status: 510

windows 10 actually got stable now (for me), and its actually possible to disable windows updates in them windows services.

i enjoy it more than 8 at least.
SWIM_DEEP is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:44 PM   #12
D42K732202
IDMf Supporter
D42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond repute
My hell
MC Status: 8610

well i always wonder why people use windows 8\10 it has not any advantages over 7 neither performance wise neither interface and looks wise, and by the way a lot of you bitch about being tracked with backdoored phones, yet you use windows 10
D42K732202 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:49 PM   #13
Benwaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by D42K732202 View Post
well i always wonder why people use windows 8\10 it has not any advantages over 7 neither performance wise neither interface and looks wise, and by the way a lot of you bitch about being tracked with backdoored phones, yet you use windows 10

wtf? you got any supporting evidence for w10 being less advantageous performance wise over 7? and weirdly my w10 looks very much like w7 to me, just a couple of small graphical changes that make no difference at all.
no one in this thread has moaned about backdoor shit or security. In fact nothing of what you say is relevant to the thread at all.

Advertisements

Thanks Reply With Quote