good sound?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 01-11-2016, 02:11 AM   #1
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ
mute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MC
a garden with a cassette player
MC Status: 18160
Icon4 good sound?

I am using an arturia microbrute, pocket operater op-12 and op-16
my daw is ableton live 9 and I also own an akai mpk mini mk2, does this equipment sound sufficient enough to make good emotional sounding synths? I want to have a certain feeling when you listen to my music that just makes your hair stand up but I feel like my music sounds generic and too much like edm,
think hot sugar, xxyyxx, or flume, is there a way to do this well?

Advertisements

mute machine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 02:34 AM   #2
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
The last of the last particles
MC Status: 6952383
Thanked 3,859 Times in 2,566 Posts
Re: good sound?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm???? Too many thoughts for my tipsy mind.

Emotional content is something that comes from your soul. Your techniques may help the sound but emotional content can be expressed without any equipment. You either have it or don;t. You can't practice being original.
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 03:27 AM   #3
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153410
Thanked 3,068 Times in 2,151 Posts

That all depends on how you use your gear, and who likes your music. You could use a four-track in a cave and someone's hair would stand on end.
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 05:25 AM   #4
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 41960

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse-ic View Post
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm???? ... You can't practice being original.
Dang... truth laid down.

Practice may help in that the tweaking and sound mangling becomes more focused and purposeful. It's an eye opener when you for the first time realize you're doing it. The more effortless this part becomes, the more the focus can be on the the rest of the creative process.

Looking through my music collection, I'd wager that I'd categorize as original. I mean that in the sense of creating a sound that's unique and gives us something we have never heard before. Sound that is so unique that it is immediately recognizable. That takes more than a few original ideas. Often you get the idea that, gee, everything that's to create has already been created. And just then you find another nugget and stand corrected.

... and, ditch presets, be inspired but don't imitate artists you like. Take elements, ideas, and concepts but add new flavors to it.

Last edited by liquid_air; 01-11-2016 at 05:34 AM..

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:43 AM   #5
Sons of Achab
Microknight
Sons of Achab has much to be proud ofSons of Achab has much to be proud ofSons of Achab has much to be proud ofSons of Achab has much to be proud ofSons of Achab has much to be proud ofSons of Achab has much to be proud ofSons of Achab has much to be proud ofSons of Achab has much to be proud ofSons of Achab has much to be proud of
Toulouse
MC Status: 1260

Quote:
Originally Posted by mute machine View Post
does this equipment sound sufficient enough to make good emotional sounding synths?
Nathan Fake makes emotional music with absolutely no gear (at least on his first albums). Jean Michel Jarre makes boring music with hundreds of synths! (Sorry for the ones who likes JMJ, it's just my opinion...).
Sons of Achab is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 05:59 PM   #6
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ
mute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sons of Achab View Post
Nathan Fake makes emotional music with absolutely no gear (at least on his first albums). Jean Michel Jarre makes boring music with hundreds of synths! (Sorry for the ones who likes JMJ, it's just my opinion...).
I like fakes music but It's not really what I mean.
I really like some of the sounds they have in washed outs music.
how might I go about doing this???
Old 01-11-2016, 06:29 PM   #7
Evelon
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214387348
Thanked 2,778 Times in 1,736 Posts

Dude! No one can really tell how to personally use synths, samples, samplers, DAW, monitors, tape recorder, mic and chair. That comes with practice.
Or are you talking about specifics?
edit: spellcheck

Last edited by Evelon; 01-11-2016 at 08:42 PM..

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 06:54 PM   #8
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 144110
Thanked 2,882 Times in 1,735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mute machine View Post
I am using an arturia microbrute, pocket operater op-12 and op-16
my daw is ableton live 9 and I also own an akai mpk mini mk2, does this equipment sound sufficient enough to make good emotional sounding synths? I want to have a certain feeling when you listen to my music that just makes your hair stand up but I feel like my music sounds generic and too much like edm,
think hot sugar, xxyyxx, or flume, is there a way to do this well?

Wow we live in fuck up times. People are very, very confused.

You need an emotion chip upgrade for your microbrute.
thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 08:00 PM   #9
Mindsweeper
★VIP MEGA EURO STAR★
Mindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MC
BUTTFUCKSVILLE
MC Status: 262785979
Thanked 2,926 Times in 1,769 Posts

Your gear is just a bunch of soulless tin cans that you order around with your advanced meat brain. Whether or not a song sounds "emotional" usually depends on the melodic and harmonic content, which is something the meat brain provides, not the tin cans. (At least not yet )

If your music sounds too much like generic edm, maybe you're using generic edm chords and melodies.
Mindsweeper is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:02 PM   #10
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 84350
Thanked 1,661 Times in 1,117 Posts

You should probably buy some more stuff. If nothing else, it's good for the economy.
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:43 PM   #11
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 41960

Yes, more gear! And the more expensive it is, the more professional the sound.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 01:55 AM   #12
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ

[quote=thom;1377787]Wow we live in fuck up times. People are very, very confused.

You need an emotion chip upgrade for your microbrute.

I have that, waste of money...
Old 01-12-2016, 02:08 AM   #13
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ

Is there a good way to patch my stuff?
I get it now that there is no way to do emotional stuff by advice, but I would like to know is there something that I need to try doing that sounds really slow and hard to listen to I want it to be effective
Old 01-12-2016, 03:24 AM   #14
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153410
Thanked 3,068 Times in 2,151 Posts

Just make noise
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 04:10 AM   #15
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8502780
Thanked 6,237 Times in 4,477 Posts

If you are really just using those three hardware synths for all your sounds, I feel like you are going to have a fairly limited and "basic" sound palette.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 04:22 AM   #16
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC

If you make your music sing like Freddie Mercury.
Thanks to Muse-ic
vashima (01-12-2016)
Old 01-12-2016, 08:02 AM   #17
vashima
vashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MC
Pocatello, Idaho
MC Status: 13410

vashima is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 07:41 PM   #18
Lepstok
Knob Twiddler
Lepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond reputeLepstok has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2360

The notes are more important than the synth patch. Mozart's Funeral March is going to sound emotional whether patched by the best designer in the world or on standard midi.

------------------
Lepstok is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 08:16 PM   #19
Muse-ic
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepstok View Post
The notes are more important than the synth patch. Mozart's Funeral March is going to sound emotional whether patched by the best designer in the world or on standard midi.
Fantastic point!

Advertisements

good sound? Tags
music, synth