Glitchy Clicky Drum Sound FX
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Intelligent Dance Music / Electronica IDM, braindance, ambient techno, electronica or whatever else you call Warp/Skam/Schematic/Planet-Mu/Rephlex/Raster-Noton type music goes here.

Old 10-01-2016, 06:38 PM   #1
fenman4
Learning The Ropes
fenman4 will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60
Icon5 Glitchy Clicky Drum Sound FX

A long time a go I discovered an artist called Ocoeur.It's sort of glitchy, ambient IDM. I love the clicks and the static sounds that he's got going on. I've been trying to figure out for the life of me how he's accomplished such beautiful sounds. "A Parallel Life" by Ocoeur. Sorry, it's not allowing me to post links as this is my first ever post. It can be found on Soundcloud and Spotify among others.

Another one, maybe not quite as good but still very pleasant. "freq001" by Monstafa Onsy. It can be found on Soundcloud

I'm on a Mac and I've tried many things but I can't get it to sound nearly as nice. I've tried sidechaining with noise gate, I've tried adding a weird and wacky delay to a vinyl crackle sound, I've tried making a drum beat with lots of fast high hats and then duplicated the track as a .wav and then flexing it/time stretching it and time shortening it.

I tried some forums but couldn't find anything. I found one from 2006 and it included some old VST's that have been abandoned and that are Windows only, which is a bit daft if you ask me.

Obviously I wouldn't expect anybody to know exactly how they've done it. I'm wondering if anyone can take a listen and analyse it for me and give me some idea?

Thanks in advance.

--Harry

Advertisements

fenman4 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to fenman4
professurreal (10-01-2016)
Old 10-01-2016, 06:53 PM   #2
candlesayshi
Imperfect
candlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 39281249
Thanked 1,174 Times in 754 Posts
Re: Glitchy Clicky Drum Sound FX

Oh boy, I love that album. I've bought it twice now, and now have the ltd.ed. clear blue vinyl.

Mostly just wanted to mention that, since I love that album. So, I can't really offer much specific advice. Though I would recommend designing the little specific sounds first then figuring out how to work them into your groove before trying to go further effects-crazy.

------------------
candlesayshi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 07:42 PM   #3
Scandra
Soundwave Mangler
Scandra has a reputation beyond reputeScandra has a reputation beyond reputeScandra has a reputation beyond reputeScandra has a reputation beyond reputeScandra has a reputation beyond reputeScandra has a reputation beyond reputeScandra has a reputation beyond reputeScandra has a reputation beyond reputeScandra has a reputation beyond reputeScandra has a reputation beyond reputeScandra has a reputation beyond repute
Milan
MC Status: 5260

I think there are many ways to accomplish what he does.
The first thing that comes to my mind is to acquire some good field recordings (i'd say recordings of water or grain), process them (ie pitch+grain delay+reverb etc etc) and then cut out very small pieces from the result.
Another thing that can be done is some sort of databending, even though results may be too harsh for what you are trying to accomplish.

And by the way, A Parallel Life is one of the best album I recently bought.

EDIT:

Forgot to say that this is somewhat similar to the process I usually go through to create those kind of sounds (see signature track for an example)

------------------
Scandra is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 08:14 PM   #4
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214389848
Thanked 2,828 Times in 1,763 Posts

I hear alot of found sounds going "multiband distortion->filtering-> multiband distortion". Then added some short reverb (room-ish).
I need to listen to it more, as I seem to totally have missed this artist/album. Thanks for the musical suggestion!

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 08:24 PM   #5
professurreal
IDMf Artist
professurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MC
at the end of the tunnel
MC Status: 59410
Thanked 1,188 Times in 790 Posts

Sorry , no advice from my side. Just wanted to say thanks for pointing me toward his music. Will have to check it out in more detail

------------------
professurreal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 09:08 PM   #6
fenman4
Learning The Ropes
fenman4 will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

Wow everyone's replying so quickly. Thanks a bunch for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scandra View Post
I think there are many ways to accomplish what he does.
The first thing that comes to my mind is to acquire some good field recordings (i'd say recordings of water or grain), process them (ie pitch+grain delay+reverb etc etc) and then cut out very small pieces from the result.
Another thing that can be done is some sort of databending, even though results may be too harsh for what you are trying to accomplish.

And by the way, A Parallel Life is one of the best album I recently bought.

EDIT:

Forgot to say that this is somewhat similar to the process I usually go through to create those kind of sounds (see signature track for an example)
One important question I forgot to ask is do you think this is possible within Logic Pro? Everyone else I know uses Reason or Ableton and such but I just love the things you can do in Logic which you can't do with other DAW's. However I don't have a granulator which I'm guessing is the key element?

Quote:
Originally Posted by professurreal View Post
Sorry , no advice from my side. Just wanted to say thanks for pointing me toward his music. Will have to check it out in more detail
No worries. One of my hugest musical inspirations are from that album. Ocoeur is a genius.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelon View Post
I hear alot of found sounds going "multiband distortion->filtering-> multiband distortion". Then added some short reverb (room-ish).
I need to listen to it more, as I seem to totally have missed this artist/album. Thanks for the musical suggestion!
Multiband distortion you say? Sounds very interesting. Could you possibly explain what that is and does or perhaps point me to some examples?
fenman4 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 09:27 PM   #7
Scandra
Soundwave Mangler
Scandra has a reputation beyond reputeScandra has a reputation beyond reputeScandra has a reputation beyond reputeScandra has a reputation beyond reputeScandra has a reputation beyond reputeScandra has a reputation beyond reputeScandra has a reputation beyond reputeScandra has a reputation beyond reputeScandra has a reputation beyond reputeScandra has a reputation beyond reputeScandra has a reputation beyond repute
Milan
MC Status: 5260

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenman4 View Post
Wow everyone's replying so quickly. Thanks a bunch for that.

One important question I forgot to ask is do you think this is possible within Logic Pro? Everyone else I know uses Reason or Ableton and such but I just love the things you can do in Logic which you can't do with other DAW's. However I don't have a granulator which I'm guessing is the key element?
I don't exactly know Logic but I think is completely possible as all you need is a couple of fx (ie reverb,delay,multiband compressor,filter) which I guess are all available.
You would also need a sampler or something to manipulate the source field recordings which, I guess, natively comes with Logic.

------------------
Scandra is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 10:55 AM   #8
ms_
Biscuits
ms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MC
MC Status: 115710
Thanked 2,314 Times in 1,352 Posts

Logic comes with EXS24 sampler which is pretty decent, but way more clumsy comparing to, for example, Live's Sampler. To get glitchy click you need to set no attack and pick weird sample offset so it could start in such position when it creates a click in the beginning. Scandra mentioned databending; it's opening any sort of file and converting it to audio. You can use Audacity and import RAW data, but beware of super loud results, but some results can be very cool glitches and crackles.
I checked that track and I feel M4L Granulator's vibe, but that's only exclusive for Live users. You also can do it by hand chopping tiny bits and running them through various effects, such as saturation and reverb (plate could work). Otherwise you need to look more into granular synthesis. One VST that comes in my mind is Alchemy, and I'm sure Alchemy now comes with newer Logic version (you got lucky). It has this fantastic granular engine. While importing a sample you can set a very small grain size and density and then pick weirder window mode, like "trapezoid" or "needle", then mess with bunch of other parameters Alchemy has. Just one of many suggestions.

------------------
ms_ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to ms_
liquid_air (11-01-2016)
Old 11-01-2016, 11:57 AM   #9
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269462608
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,849 Posts

Quote:
"A Parallel Life" by Ocoeur. Sorry, it's not allowing me to post links as this is my first ever post. It can be found on Soundcloud and Spotify among others.
Can't help you, but great stuff, reminds me of Access To Arasaka

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 12:11 PM   #10
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214389848
Thanked 2,828 Times in 1,763 Posts

Quote:
Multiband distortion you say? Sounds very interesting. Could you possibly explain what that is and does or perhaps point me to some examples?
Multi-band, as in multiple bands (frequency bands) of distortions. Google it.
I don't have any example yet, but I might add that to the list of "Youtube tutorials I wanna make".

As a crappy example below, I made a track (sound design assignment at university) made up with only found sounds (all recorded in the kids room - toys, lego, glockenspiel, plastic bags and such). Even the "synth" is made with found sound, looped granually. Found sounds are lovely! Get a portable digital recorder and start recording all sorts of crap. Some of the best sounds are things that you wouldn't expect making a cool sound.
Here it is:

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 12:38 PM   #11
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269462608
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,849 Posts

I was listening to Ocoeur on Spotify and clicked on related artists, there's at least 3 IDMfers...
Code:
Content visible to registered users only.

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 01:24 PM   #12
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 51960
Thanked 1,039 Times in 766 Posts

Good stuff. Reminds me of Pole. He famously got his start using a broken Wladorf Pole-4 filter that started making weird crackles and hissing sounds. He took that as his inspiration and also for his artist name.

Great tips for sound design here. Thanks a lot! I've become quite fond of granular synthesis as of recent. Soundguru The Mangle is a great little sample based synth for that purpose. I sampled my cat snoring and it makes for some very nice organic sounding vocal effects now.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 09:31 PM   #13
candlesayshi
Imperfect
candlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 39281249
Thanked 1,174 Times in 754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post
I was listening to Ocoeur on Spotify and clicked on related artists, there's at least 3 IDMfers...
One of us.... one of us.... one of us...

------------------
candlesayshi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2016, 03:01 PM   #14
WRENofficial
Learning The Ropes
WRENofficial will become famous soon enoughWRENofficial will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

Im chasing grain, patterns and glitch too! Had a conversation with Ruxpin about the subject as well, this is what he said to me:

The patterns are mostly made manually. I don't know what I was working with at that time, but I normally work with 1/32 for those patterns (and sometimes triplet patterns). In "Routine .. " there was the same workflow.

I'm now listening to those tracks for the first time in years.

I've always been fond of clashes of genres and mood. Harsh vs mellow. Chaos vs order. Normally there was some repetition - a sort of mantra going on, but with underlining tension and chaotic experimentation in percussion. I was also interested in the presence of "dance with the mind". It's should not really be home listening and not for dancefloor - rather something in between that. Interesting that you mention Vespertine, because my studio was rented out for that one. I don't think that I have other philosophy going on rather than making something that I would personally want to hear and listen to. After all, that what is should be really about, isn't it?

Advertisements

WRENofficial is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Ametsub