Creating ghostly voice effects out of random speech
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Tutorials Section Found or written an interesting tutorial recently? Share it here.

Old 03-01-2016, 05:32 PM   #1
SMHERTZ_Music
Granular Poster
SMHERTZ_Music is a splendid one to beholdSMHERTZ_Music is a splendid one to beholdSMHERTZ_Music is a splendid one to beholdSMHERTZ_Music is a splendid one to beholdSMHERTZ_Music is a splendid one to beholdSMHERTZ_Music is a splendid one to behold
Italy - UK
MC Status: 660
Creating ghostly voice effects out of random speech

Dear all,
now that I can post links here on IDMf, I'm happy to share with you my videoblog on creative sound design. Basically that's how I make music, I sample weird stuff (or in general sources that are not musical per se) and I try to get something musical from there.
In this video I focus on creating textures and weird stutter ghostly effects by processing random voices and speech. Hopefully some interesting inputs for Reaktor users, no matter if experts or newbies, and maybe it can encourage you to see all the other episode on my channel. Have fun!

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Advertisements

SMHERTZ_Music is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 06:09 AM   #2
Sacarious
Soundscaper
Sacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond repute
Vancouver Island
MC Status: 3310
Re: Creating ghostly voice effects out of random speech

You produce videos like JJ Abrams! LENSE FLAIR!

Cool fuckin video man, you seem to know what you're talking about. I have never used reaktor but it seems like a neat tool.

------------------
Reason-AcidPro-Recycle

TUNEZ
Sacarious is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Sacarious
SMHERTZ_Music (05-01-2016)
Old 06-01-2016, 01:32 AM   #3
Madd Rod
Learning The Ropes
Madd Rod will become famous soon enough
Lisbon
MC Status: 60

Hey man! Really nice effect I don't use neither Ableton (only for live stuff sometimes) neither Reaktor, but I got the main ideas thank you!
Madd Rod is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Madd Rod
SMHERTZ_Music (06-01-2016)
Old 06-01-2016, 01:02 PM   #4
SMHERTZ_Music
Granular Poster
SMHERTZ_Music is a splendid one to beholdSMHERTZ_Music is a splendid one to beholdSMHERTZ_Music is a splendid one to beholdSMHERTZ_Music is a splendid one to beholdSMHERTZ_Music is a splendid one to beholdSMHERTZ_Music is a splendid one to behold
Italy - UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacarious View Post
You produce videos like JJ Abrams! LENSE FLAIR!

Cool fuckin video man, you seem to know what you're talking about. I have never used reaktor but it seems like a neat tool.

Thank you! also for the comparison with JJ Abrams

------------------
Old 06-01-2016, 01:03 PM   #5
SMHERTZ_Music
Granular Poster
Italy - UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madd Rod View Post
Hey man! Really nice effect I don't use neither Ableton (only for live stuff sometimes) neither Reaktor, but I got the main ideas thank you!
You're welcome! I'm happy that you get the "general" idea beyond the specific instruments one can use, that's what I try to do ! ;D

------------------
Old 06-01-2016, 01:33 PM   #6
Mctoast
Savage Mad Cunt
Mctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MC
MC Status: 38897

I've used this effect a lot lately too. I like to use feedback to make a nice tone and then I freeze it and pitch it to create these choir like effects. I like making the freeze flicker over the original sound to create more textured sound, then I play with the freeze and feedback for live ambient stuff.

------------------
Mctoast is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 01:36 PM   #7
SMHERTZ_Music
Granular Poster
Italy - UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mctoast View Post
I've used this effect a lot lately too. I like to use feedback to make a nice tone and then I freeze it and pitch it to create these choir like effects. I like making the freeze flicker over the original sound to create more textured sound, then I play with the freeze and feedback for live ambient stuff.
Sounds interesting, I'm curious to listen

------------------
Old 06-01-2016, 10:33 PM   #8
Spawn_Music
Regular Freak
Spawn_Music will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

Thanks so much for the tutorial I learned a lot from it about creating very unique soundscapes. Also took the time to check out some of your music and I got to say it's really well done. Keep doing what you're doing!
Spawn_Music is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:57 PM   #9
SMHERTZ_Music
Granular Poster
Italy - UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn_Music View Post
Thanks so much for the tutorial I learned a lot from it about creating very unique soundscapes. Also took the time to check out some of your music and I got to say it's really well done. Keep doing what you're doing!
Thank you so much man, really happy that you found it useful , and thank you for having a glance to my Music too!

------------------
Old 10-01-2016, 12:04 PM   #10
TL072
Master of the LFO
TL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 6660

Hi, some very nice ideas about sound for sure.

I have 'discovered' similar techniques to some of the ideas in your videos, but I really like the way you explain them and you have put more thought into the essence of the technique or idea so that you are able to get more out of the idea than I have. Quite inspirational. I wish I had a little more time at the moment, as I would immediately pull out the mic and start bashing things around the home.
TL072 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to TL072
SMHERTZ_Music (10-01-2016)
Old 10-01-2016, 01:25 PM   #11
SMHERTZ_Music
Granular Poster
Italy - UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL072 View Post
Hi, some very nice ideas about sound for sure.

I have 'discovered' similar techniques to some of the ideas in your videos, but I really like the way you explain them and you have put more thought into the essence of the technique or idea so that you are able to get more out of the idea than I have. Quite inspirational. I wish I had a little more time at the moment, as I would immediately pull out the mic and start bashing things around the home.
Thank you man, I'm happy that you find these tutorial inspirational, I really hope you find the time to record stuff and experiment with it, i'd be more than happy to listen :-)

------------------
Old 10-01-2016, 04:20 PM   #12
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 52760
Thanked 1,055 Times in 779 Posts

Very cool, thanks!

I found that The Mangle and Flesh are some very unique ways to get textures and sounds out of vocal samples.

Working on a project that'll make good use of these.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 04:23 PM   #13
SMHERTZ_Music
Granular Poster
Italy - UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
Very cool, thanks!

I found that The Mangle and Flesh are some very unique ways to get textures and sounds out of vocal samples.

Working on a project that'll make good use of these.
I never heard about The Mangle and Flash, is it a sampker? thanx :-)

------------------
Old 10-01-2016, 10:11 PM   #14
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny

The Mangle is a sample based grain synthesizer. It will take any wav and has an easily accessible set of parameters and plenty of modulation (LFO, step sequencer, envelope).

Flesh is harder to describe. It's a performance oriented synthesizer with four sound generators. Two more conventional sounding sources (synth lo/hi), one sub, and one sample based. The latter will load any sample. Each sound source has a number of settings for sound mangling, multiple modulation sources, and there is one fx send for all four sound generators. What may turn some off is the limited depth of modulation. You get a range of presets, each with quite a number of settings that globally influence the output, but it's not surgical. Still, the sonic palette is quite broad.
Where this thing shines is in the performance dimension. It has three banks of 12 triggers: harmonics, samples, and patches. The harmonics trigger different chord progressions that can be recorded, patches are specific combinations of sound source settings, and samples trigger one of 12 samples. These are all nicely mapped onto your MIDI keyboard over three octaves and you can trigger different harmonics, samples, and patches together for good variety. The way it utilizes the samples is similar to a grain synthesizer. Despite not being very surgical in the sound modulation, I find the results to be quite pleasing. Pick some of the presets it comes with, add your own samples, tune to match your sound, maybe resample some of the output, mangle, and repeat.

------------------

Old 10-01-2016, 10:17 PM   #15
SMHERTZ_Music
Granular Poster
Italy - UK

Quote:
The Mangle is a sample based grain synthesizer. It will take any wav and has an easily accessible set of parameters and plenty of modulation (LFO, step sequencer, envelope).

Flesh is harder to describe. It's a performance oriented synthesizer with four sound generators. Two more conventional sounding sources (synth lo/hi), one sub, and one sample based. The latter will load any sample. Each sound source has a number of settings for sound mangling, multiple modulation sources, and there is one fx send for all four sound generators. What may turn some off is the limited depth of modulation. You get a range of presets, each with quite a number of settings that globally influence the output, but it's not surgical. Still, the sonic palette is quite broad.
Where this thing shines is in the performance dimension. It has three banks of 12 triggers: harmonics, samples, and patches. The harmonics trigger different chord progressions that can be recorded, patches are specific combinations of sound source settings, and samples trigger one of 12 samples. These are all nicely mapped onto your MIDI keyboard over three octaves and you can trigger different harmonics, samples, and patches together for good variety. The way it utilizes the samples is similar to a grain synthesizer. Despite not being very surgical in the sound modulation, I find the results to be quite pleasing. Pick some of the presets it comes with, add your own samples, tune to match your sound, maybe resample some of the output, mangle, and repeat.

Thank u man, sounds really interesting, i ll look for both right now :-)

------------------
Old 10-01-2016, 10:50 PM   #16
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

This here is a good video to illustrate what Flesh can do:

------------------

Thanks to liquid_air
SMHERTZ_Music (10-01-2016)
Old 11-01-2016, 12:09 AM   #17
Sacarious
Soundscaper
Sacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond repute
Vancouver Island
MC Status: 3310

Quote:
This here is a good video to illustrate what Flesh can do:

I have never heard of flesh before but i can already think of so many wicked applications

------------------
Reason-AcidPro-Recycle

TUNEZ
Sacarious is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 12:44 AM   #18
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacarious View Post
I have never heard of flesh before but i can already think of so many wicked applications
It's pretty cool, if you're comfortable to let the synth do quite a bit of the sound design.

------------------

Old 12-01-2016, 04:05 PM   #19
SMHERTZ_Music
Granular Poster
Italy - UK

Did you guys ever used Trax v3 by IRCAM? It's been the Christmas present I did for myself, quite expensive but probably the best tool I 've ever used to process vocals. I thought I needed a vocalist for a track on which I've been sitting for a while, now that I can morph voice gender and doing cross synthesis, I'm having great time in creating my imaginary vocalists out of my voice Ultra recommended

------------------
Thanks to SMHERTZ_Music
liquid_air (12-01-2016)
Old 13-01-2016, 04:37 AM   #20
WhoIs
Regular Freak
WhoIs has a spectacular aura aboutWhoIs has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160

Going to download the mangle and check it out. Great thread.

Advertisements

WhoIs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to WhoIs
SMHERTZ_Music (13-01-2016)