Macbook Pro users?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 12-27-2015, 04:59 AM   #1
samk44
Radial Developer
samk44 is a splendid one to beholdsamk44 is a splendid one to beholdsamk44 is a splendid one to beholdsamk44 is a splendid one to beholdsamk44 is a splendid one to beholdsamk44 is a splendid one to beholdsamk44 is a splendid one to behold
New York
MC Status: 810
Macbook Pro users?

I'm thinking about investing in a macbook pro (don't know which model though) because I want to switch to Logic from FL. I have used both and I prefer Logic for my workflow.

I have tried running logic on my Macbook Air 2012, 1,7GHz Intel i5, 4gb ram. Its not too bad but it easily overheats the computer because it doesn't have a fan.

I haven't looked into this much at all, but as I have understood it, a Macbook Pro is the computer to get if you want to be able to produce while on the move, when traveling etc.

What are your thoughts? Are you satisfied?

How is a macbook pro working for you when producing with logic pro/x? Any problems at all? Anything you would wish was better or different? Would you rather buy a stationary iMac?

Thanks

Advertisements

samk44 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 06:06 AM   #2
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1527027
Thanked 1,776 Times in 1,153 Posts
Re: Macbook Pro users?

Get a Mac mini and 2 ice packs. One for the top and one for underneath. Wrap both in a towel cause moisture ain't so good for them.

Kidding

No, not kidding. The cheapest computer vs performance to money you can get from Apple is a Mac mini.

The ice pac part is a joke. Unless you live in an extremely hot climate.
My next dedicated recording computer will be a used Mac mini server. Quad core i7 and 2 1TB drives.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 07:16 AM   #3
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 42460

I'm using a 2013 MBP 15in retina with 8GB RAM and 750 MB SSD. I am running Maschine 2.3 inside Logic Pro X an have not had any issues. Setup of most everything was a breeze. You do eventually run into CPU limitations, but that depends on what plugins you use and on how many tracks. No problem running five instances each of Omnisphere and Serum simultaneously. For mix down and "mastering" I bounce to audio and do my edits using Ozone and other goodies separately.

The portability is great - if you need it.

You can take your MBP and some earbuds anywhere and get inspired. If you're mostly sitting down in a studio area, a desktop may be a better choice. For the above setup I came close to the price tag of a Mac Pro, which is what I'm thinking of getting some time in the future.

The MBP is running it's fan pretty high when at full load.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 09:03 AM   #4
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644068
Thanked 4,896 Times in 3,160 Posts

I'm running a late 2013 MBP and just recently my wife purchased one like a month ago when the motherboard on her PC took a dump. She went with a MacBook Air. If I had it to do over again that's what I'd get over a Pro. Only difference I can tell spec wise is the Retina display, the Air doesn't have it. Minor detail in my opinion looking at the two side by side. Hers is probably the most bad ass piece of computer hardware I've seen. Light, paper thin, awesome. That's what I'd do were I in the game today.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 01:56 PM   #5
samk44
Radial Developer
samk44 is a splendid one to beholdsamk44 is a splendid one to beholdsamk44 is a splendid one to beholdsamk44 is a splendid one to beholdsamk44 is a splendid one to beholdsamk44 is a splendid one to beholdsamk44 is a splendid one to behold
New York

Thanks for the responses people!

Chase:I have looked into the Mac minis, I might get one of these instead and save me about a thousand bucks! Still, For now though, the MBP is more alluring somehow. The portability and performance mostly, but also the look. If I were to go for a stationary one, I would most likely chose an iMac.

Liquid_air: Sounds great. Something that would be nice is to be able to work from anywhere, as I often find my studio boring and uninspiring. It should be good performance wise, however what bothers me with the thing you noted about the fan running high. When you write "No problem running five instances each of Omnisphere and Serum simultaneously", does the fan need to work at all in that case, or is it only when you push the computer to its limits? I ask this because my Macbook Air runs its fan like crazy and I sometimes think it might crash because the battery gets so hot. I don't want to worry about this with the MBP..

RFJ: I am not sure which specs you & your wife's computers have and what you are comparing. However, from what I know, the Macbook Air and Pro have major differences in performance. It doesn't show when doing simple tasks such as surfing the internet or watching a video, but the big differences show when e.g. running Logic. My Macbook air, as I mentioned earlier, overheats quickly and has CPU problems only after a couple of simple plugins.
Old 12-27-2015, 02:29 PM   #6
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 42460

Fan runs when you push it, but not going crazy. I tried running some intense graphics game once. That had the fan running with an audible whoosh- audible through the headphones. So, not like that.

You run into audio issues before it comes to that. So, there are definitive limitations, but that's to be expected. It's not something I am too concerned about.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 05:29 PM   #7
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644068
Thanked 4,896 Times in 3,160 Posts

I missed that one important bit about how you already had a MacBook Air and it wasn't working for you. Hadn't considered the lack of a fan being an issue but I can see how it would be. Maybe I should start reading OP's twice.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 05:00 AM   #8
samk44
Radial Developer
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
I missed that one important bit about how you already had a MacBook Air and it wasn't working for you. Hadn't considered the lack of a fan being an issue but I can see how it would be. Maybe I should start reading OP's twice.

Haha no worries, just advising you to stay away from the Macbook Air for music production. Stay with your MBP, its a downgrade.
Old 12-28-2015, 06:23 AM   #9
vashima
vashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MC
Pocatello, Idaho
MC Status: 13410

Can't go wrong with a MBP for a mobile work-horse. I currently have a late 2014 MBP with an i7, 16gb ram, and a GeForce GT 750m. I run my pro tools sessions pretty hard as far as plug-ins and virtual instruments go. I haven't really run into any problems yet. I run it with two additional monitors and depending on what I'm showing on the monitors, it can make my fan run pretty hard. This is GPU based though. Not super necessary for music production. In my opinion, the only way i could improve my computer situation would be to spend a lot of money on a custom desktop PC or a Mac Pro trashcan. (which I may do in the future)
vashima is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to vashima
samk44 (12-28-2015)
Old 02-05-2016, 12:26 AM   #10
stray medicine
Savage Mad Cunt
stray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MC
Minneapolis
MC Status: 18460

yeah I have an assload of programs for visual stuff, I run logic and ableton on both of my macbook pros and have a decent amount of plugins too
only got my second one because I was forced to by my school

no problems so far though, I'd suggest going with a SSD too. I use my newer SSD one a lot more because I can REALLY use it on the go, don't have to shut it off and turn it back on every time I move it like my other macbook pro

it's nice for having on the go, but looking back on it I would've rather spent that money on a nice custom desktop

Advertisements

stray medicine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote