[Tutorial] Finding Your Melody Using Chords!
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 12-02-2015, 09:30 PM   #1
Sacarious
Soundscaper
Sacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond repute
Vancouver Island
MC Status: 3310
[Tutorial] Finding Your Melody Using Chords!

So, I have been trying to explain this method to many people over the years and im confused as to why so many people don't understand it. So this will be my final attempt at explaining what I am doing

Now, we are all familiar with the piano roll editor (and if you are not, press "go back" until you are on a different website"

In this little gem is a rather large matrix of keys, which to the untrained eye looks like a never ending keyboard.

Now let's say we are working on a bitchin' track and you have your chord progression sexily laid out, and the bass is thumping that way that you like, and it is time to start on our "hook" or "melody" depending on how old you are hehe.

Now, this is the easiest thing you will ever do.

1. Copy your chord progression to a new midi track and label it "hook"

2. Put all the chords on the first beat of the song, so all the chords are over lapping.

3. Now shorten all the notes down to a 1/8th note or something small
4. Change the velocity of all of these notes to zero.

5. There you have it, all the notes being used in the scale of your song (with the exception of 7th's and stuff)
6. Copy your notes, and past them 2 or three times, select those tracks and move them back to the first beat of the song but move one of them an octave up, and the other an octave down, so you have lots of references for where your sexy ass notes are going to go.

7. Now start somewhere that sounds sexy, if you don't own or no how to play the keyboard this is one of the easiest and best ways to cheat the theory and get straight to making some cool melodies.
This works really well for finding harmonies as well!

This concludes my lesson on stuff.
Have a good day!

-Sacarious

Advertisements

------------------
Reason-AcidPro-Recycle

TUNEZ
Sacarious is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 10:59 PM   #2
victortello
Minor Glitch
victortello will become famous soon enough
Cusco
MC Status: 60
Re: [Tutorial] Finding Your Melody Using Chords!

idk how to play piano :c
victortello is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 01:48 AM   #3
Sacarious
Soundscaper
Sacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond reputeSacarious has a reputation beyond repute
Vancouver Island

Then its time to learn the mastery of humming sweet nothings to yourself along with your progressions to find your melody

------------------
Reason-AcidPro-Recycle

TUNEZ
Old 12-05-2015, 10:33 AM   #4
Evelon
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214387298
Thanked 2,777 Times in 1,735 Posts

I'm glad I know an even easier way than this.
Might be useful for others though.

------------------
Evelon is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Evelon
relic (12-05-2015)
Old 12-05-2015, 05:46 PM   #5
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8497630
Thanked 6,134 Times in 4,405 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelon View Post
I'm glad I know an even easier way than this.
Might be useful for others though.
Yea, hate to be a negative nancy but isnt it just easier to say "use the notes in your chords"

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 06:42 PM   #6
Evelon
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC

^ Very true

------------------
Old 12-05-2015, 09:04 PM   #7
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
The last of the last particles
MC Status: 6951633
Thanked 3,844 Times in 2,557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Yea, hate to be a negative nancy but isnt it just easier to say "use the notes in your chords"
LOL, this!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Muse-ic
Sacarious (12-05-2015)
Old 12-05-2015, 09:22 PM   #8
saneliv
Soundwave Mangler
saneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2510

I can sort of see the logic in this, since there are ways to get chord progressions like this generated for you and if one has no idea of what the notes in these chords are, or what notes sound good on top of them, then this might be a decent shortcut for people... Now what I don't understand is that in a lot of chord progressions, the notes of one chord won't sound good over notes of another chord, for example if I modulate from a C triad to an F# triad the C# and F# won't sound good over C... I also can imagine pretty easily a not-too-exotic chord prog where using this method, you'd end up with all 12 chromatic tones... OTOH in the brave new world where the Axis_Of_Awesome chords I-V-vi-IV are the catchiest thing known to the youth of the world... the notes in those chords won't conflict at all... in fact its just a major scale, so this method would work over that progression.

------------------
saneliv is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 10:44 PM   #9
Sacarious
Soundscaper
Vancouver Island

Quote:
Fair enough,.. I mean I just thought it would be a good cheat sheet for basic progressions and people looking for a quick way to find a melody.
Feel free to delete this thread any mod who reads this

------------------
Reason-AcidPro-Recycle

TUNEZ
Old 12-05-2015, 10:52 PM   #10
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
The last of the last particles
MC Status: 6951633
Thanked 3,844 Times in 2,557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacarious View Post
Fair enough,.. I mean I just thought it would be a good cheat sheet for basic progressions and people looking for a quick way to find a melody.
Why? I am sure there is some poor lost soul who is a techy and not a musician who might find this useful.

------------------
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Muse-ic
Sacarious (12-06-2015)
Old 12-05-2015, 11:17 PM   #11
Evelon

In a way I kind of miss studying dodecaphony (Schönberg). It was both liberating, annoying and fucked up all at the same time.

------------------
Old 12-06-2015, 04:23 PM   #12
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8497630
Thanked 6,134 Times in 4,405 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacarious View Post
Sorry man. I agree with MuseIc that a very techy person will probably find this useful. Just thought it was worth mentioning that what you were suggesting is actually pretty simple in concept. I apologize. I was kind of a dbag about it.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 08:29 PM   #13
absolutesound73
Learning The Ropes
absolutesound73 is on a distinguished road
MC Status: 10

Found the Ableton midi effects helpful for this.
absolutesound73 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 08:41 PM   #14
absolutesound73
Learning The Ropes
absolutesound73 is on a distinguished road
MC Status: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse-ic View Post
LOL, this!!!!!!!!!!!!
hahaha
absolutesound73 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 02:38 AM   #15
Sacarious
Soundscaper
Vancouver Island

Quote:
Sorry man. I agree with MuseIc that a very techy person will probably find this useful. Just thought it was worth mentioning that what you were suggesting is actually pretty simple in concept. I apologize. I was kind of a dbag about it.
All good yo, i know what you mean.
But its a good place to start for people gearing up to ask "how do i make a melody derppp"
ya know? maybe? lol

------------------
Reason-AcidPro-Recycle

TUNEZ
Old 12-22-2015, 02:50 AM   #16
ApexAudio
Banned
ApexAudio is a splendid one to beholdApexAudio is a splendid one to beholdApexAudio is a splendid one to beholdApexAudio is a splendid one to beholdApexAudio is a splendid one to beholdApexAudio is a splendid one to beholdApexAudio is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 710

Quote:
It's even easier than that.

if the note sounds wrong, just pitch bend up or down a half step and it goes from being a wrong note to being avant garde jazz brilliance.
ApexAudio is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 03:19 AM   #17
Sacarious
Soundscaper
Vancouver Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAudio View Post
It's even easier than that.

if the note sounds wrong, just pitch bend up or down a half step and it goes from being a wrong note to being avant garde jazz brilliance.
Well no its not easier to say "use the notes in your chords" because not all the chords you use will take advantage of all of the notes in the scale.
and if you are talking about jazz, you are in the wrong forum buds lol

Advertisements

------------------
Reason-AcidPro-Recycle

TUNEZ

[Tutorial] Finding Your Melody Using Chords! Tags
chords, ghost, melody, midi