Need help / advice with sound issue
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 11-10-2015, 05:59 PM   #1
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 155710
Thanked 3,114 Times in 2,319 Posts
Need help / advice with sound issue

I've got this problem I need help with sorting out / resolving. In short, I'm getting this strange corruption of audio lately and I can't seem to track down the cause. First off, my system is not maxed out or anything like that..and latancy doesn't seem to be the issue either, as it just appears on one track / synth at a time..not the over-all track in general.

If you listen to this recent track of mine, you can hear it at 2.06 and again at 2.15 and probably more later in the track.

It's really starting to bug the hell out of me, as it's messing up everything I'm trying to and slowing things down no end! It happens even if there is nothing else loaded on any of the track buses..just the synth. At first I thought it might be due to some conflict caused by a reverb unit I was using or something like that..but it happens no matter what I seem to have load..or not.

If any of you have run into this before and know how to sort it out..or even can offer some ideas I really would appreciate it no end.

Advertisements

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 06:15 PM   #2
Evelon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214387348
Thanked 2,778 Times in 1,736 Posts
Re: Need help / advice with sound issue

First of all, try to gain-stage it so that it peaks around 0dB or just below (or normalize it) before uploading it to Soundcloud. Then we might actually hear what the problem might be.

edit: I downloaded and normalized it myself. You have some bad clicks throughout and some interference (just after each series of clicks) it seems. Not sure what might be causing this (hardware issue?). But I would really look into gain-staging first and foremost, as the track is really low, and somewhere along the line you seem to get interference (shitty cables, bad usb cable, etc).

Last edited by Evelon; 11-10-2015 at 06:28 PM..

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Evelon
A.M (11-10-2015)
Old 11-10-2015, 06:29 PM   #3
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelon View Post
First of all, try to gain-stage it so that it peaks around 0dB or just below (or normalize it) before uploading it to Soundcloud. Then we might actually hear what the problem might be.

edit: I downloaded and normalized it myself. You have some bad clicks throughout and some interference (just after each series of clicks) it seems. Not sure what might be causing this (hardware issue?). But I would really look into gain-staging first and foremost, as the track is really low, and somewhere along the line you seem to get interference (shitty cables, bad usb cable, etc).

OK..I was hoping it wouldn't be something like that..as i did notice I never had this issue before until I started using the NI stuff I got a few months back..the Komplete Kontrol s-61 and all the NI software plugs. I'm not saying they are the cause..just it seems strange this started the same time I started using them.

Edit: about those clicks..they're in there by design..the issue seems to happen at other intermittent times, without any clicks or anything..just the audio seems to start dropping out or going from stereo to mono, like in the track I posted above.

Last edited by A.M; 11-10-2015 at 06:36 PM..

------------------
Old 11-10-2015, 06:47 PM   #4
Evelon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC

It looks really weird in spectral view, like strange sustained "bad aliasing" notes from 6kHz and above. There's even some weird stuff that is marking the tempo in there. Odd. Never seen anything like that.

------------------
Old 11-10-2015, 06:54 PM   #5
A.M

Quote:
It looks really weird in spectral view, like strange sustained "bad aliasing" notes from 6kHz and above. There's even some weird stuff that is marking the tempo in there. Odd. Never seen anything like that.
Fock..that's what I get for using layered plugins from 3rd parties, I guess.

------------------
Old 11-10-2015, 07:25 PM   #6
ms_
Biscuits
ms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MC
MC Status: 111010
Thanked 2,220 Times in 1,297 Posts

have you tried bouncing every layer separately? You could track which one might cause this, but I'm still not sure what's going on here. Phasing problems, maybe?

------------------
ms_ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to ms_
A.M (11-10-2015)
Old 11-10-2015, 07:37 PM   #7
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_ View Post
have you tried bouncing every layer separately? You could track which one might cause this, but I'm still not sure what's going on here. Phasing problems, maybe?
Yeah..I thought that, too..and haven't totally discounted it either. The funny thing is it seems to happen at random..sometimes effecting one synth..and then not effecting it at other times..really got me puzzled.

------------------
Old 11-10-2015, 08:00 PM   #8
Evelon
IDMf ArtistModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
Fock..that's what I get for using layered plugins from 3rd parties, I guess.
I don't think that is the cause. But let us know what is causing it when you figure it out.

------------------
Thanks to Evelon
A.M (11-10-2015)
Old 11-10-2015, 08:35 PM   #9
ms_
Biscuits
ms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MC
MC Status: 111010
Thanked 2,220 Times in 1,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
Yeah..I thought that, too..and haven't totally discounted it either. The funny thing ois it seems to happen at random..sometimes effecting one synth..and then not effecting it at other times..really got me puzzled.
does it only appear after final bounce? I noticed that there's some stuttering going on, is this the problem or was this some cool A.M.'s sound effect? This could be hardware, but I'm also guessing (might be very wrong on this one) that some plugin or sample has a way lower sample rate than your i/o sample rate. I'm mentioning this because I used to get crazy amplitude peaks after bouncing that can't be heard in track but can be seen in waveform every time I used low quality audio samples I decoded from video games (teh old days).

------------------
ms_ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to ms_
A.M (11-10-2015)
Old 11-10-2015, 09:03 PM   #10
A.M

Quote:
I don't think that is the cause. But let us know what is causing it when you figure it out.
Thanks for trying to help, E..will do.

------------------
Old 11-10-2015, 09:09 PM   #11
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_ View Post
does it only appear after final bounce? I noticed that there's some stuttering going on, is this the problem or was this some cool A.M.'s sound effect? This could be hardware, but I'm also guessing (might be very wrong on this one) that some plugin or sample has a way lower sample rate than your i/o sample rate. I'm mentioning this because I used to get crazy amplitude peaks after bouncing that can't be heard in track but can be seen in waveform every time I used low quality audio samples I decoded from video games (teh old days).
Yeah..as the track posted above shows..but it's there from the get-go, when I actually playing. Everything could be fine one moment, then the next I get this fecking stereo/mono thing going on!

I think the stuttering you're referring to is what I'm actually talking about. To me it sounds like the sound is going from stereo to mono, while dropping out as it does..usually happens at the end of a note or chord..that's while I originally thought it might be a conflict with one of the reverbs I use..a harmonic thing, if you know what I mean..maybe even a compounded effect of preset/reverb/EQ..don't know and that's the problem.

I'm still trying to discount things one at a time, but I thought I'd try the lazy way and ask on here in the meantime..maybe get lucky?

That sample rate issue you mentions sounds like a real contender, too..must check that out and see if lowering the sample rate in my DAW does anything to improve matter..cheers.

------------------
Old 11-15-2015, 04:10 AM   #12
A.M

OK..I think I've tracked it down, though I'm not really sure 100% yet. It seems to trace back to a plug-in I use on most tracks in a mix to help create the stereo stage of a track. This plug-in has a setting that I had unknowingly set to "on" and when I turned it off, the issue vanished.

I've tried to replicate it a few times and the only time it shows up is when that feature is turned on and set to a certain frequency..373Hz to be exact. I'm emailed the maker of the plug-in to find out if this is a fault or..more likely..am I using the plug-in wrong to begin with...will let you guys know what he says.

------------------
Old 11-16-2015, 07:57 AM   #13
White Noise
Ghostly
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 14960

Does it have anything to do with A1 Stereo Control? I picked that up a bit ago based on what I saw about it over on the free plugs thread (or was it your reviews thread?). I haven't used it much, but I'd like to know what it's doing if it turns out to be related to that.
White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to White Noise
A.M (11-16-2015)
Old 11-16-2015, 05:28 PM   #14
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Noise View Post
Does it have anything to do with A1 Stereo Control? I picked that up a bit ago based on what I saw about it over on the free plugs thread (or was it your reviews thread?). I haven't used it much, but I'd like to know what it's doing if it turns out to be related to that.
Yeah, you're spot on..I think it was my review you saw on it, as I don't remember seeing it mentioned anywhere else on here, but don't hold me to that..I could have missed a post about it.

Like I said, I emailed Alex about this and am waiting for him to get back to me about it. I searched online about this to see if anyone else had run into the same issue, and I couldn't find anything at all, which makes me think it's just a screw-up on my end..me doing something half-arsed that I shouldn't.

Anyway, keep an eye on this thread and I'll post back here when I hear from him.

------------------
Old 11-17-2015, 01:51 AM   #15
JohnnyRocket
Regular Freak
JohnnyRocket will become famous soon enough
San Francisco
MC Status: 60

Some good tips that are helpful. Thanks for all the info

Advertisements

JohnnyRocket is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote