The MTV Music Generator / Music 2000 Thread
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 10-03-2015, 07:31 PM   #1
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153360
Thanked 3,067 Times in 2,150 Posts
The MTV Music Generator / Music 2000 Thread

For those who use / want to use the classic DAW known as MTV Music Generator, I'm attempting to make a master thread for FAQ, tutorials, general setup, and song / video sharing. If this doesn't gain traction, I'll delete it as per usual.

This program came out under three separate names: MTV Music Generator (US), Music 2000 (Rest-of-the-world), and simply Music for both the PSX and PC, and can be easily found for either platform. Although it has a reputation for being strictly cut-and-paste, this isn't the case at all; Music featured a full sampler, a sample editor, and tons of preloaded synth samples, one-shot drums, and a host of sound FX to load into it. Retro nerds: this was 1998. On a Playstation.

I've successfully figured out how to capture the audio of the PSX / PC versions, video of the PSX port, and even old game saves from your old and dusty memory cards for easy transporting to your PC. Thus far, the PC port crashes horribly in Windows 7, even running through an emulated XP, and I'm trying to find a workaround.

PSX Versions (see Benwaa's post below):

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

These will require ECM tools for burning. A quick google search will show you where to get those, but further explanation can be provided.

PC Versions:

(my upload, no BS)

Last edited by Kvlt O))); 10-03-2015 at 09:18 PM..

Advertisements

Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 08:20 PM   #2
Benwaa
Re: The MTV Music Generator / Music 2000 Thread

emulator rom right here: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

don't think it's illegal to share an emu rom so there it is! (music 2000/mtv)

and here's it's full version history

Quote:
Sony PlayStation
  • 1998 Music: Music Creation for the PlayStation
  • 1999 Music 2000 aka MTV Music Generator in North America
Sony PlayStation 2
Microsoft Xbox
  • 2004 MTV Music Generator 3: This Is The Remix
Microsoft Windows
  • 2000 Music 2000 aka MTV Music Generator in North America
  • 2002 Music 2002 Club Edition

Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 08:38 PM   #3
Benwaa

oh also, i have nothing but awesome memories of these progs. they were essentially my first DAW. still to this day when we talk about how long and far i've been with music, friends still bring up they remember me endlessly fucking with that prog in sesh's doing my best to provide some tunes hehe fond memories indeed
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 08:38 PM   #4
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benwaa View Post
emulator rom right here: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

don't think it's illegal to share an emu rom so there it is! (music 2000/mtv)

and here's it's full version history

[/I][/LIST]
Awesome!

There are .exe's of the PC version floating around on abandonware sites. Would hosting the CD image elsewhere (for people who already own the game, of course) be out of the question?
Old 10-03-2015, 08:45 PM   #5
Benwaa

if it's completely legal to distro it then it's fine. just no malware links or stuff that is counted as illegal
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 08:47 PM   #6
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benwaa View Post
if it's completely egal to distro it then it's fine. just no malware links or stuff that is counted as illegal
Awesome. That's why I want to host it; I don't want to direct anyone to weird .exe links that may or may not contain bundled shit.
Thanks to Kvlt O)))
Old 10-03-2015, 10:02 PM   #7
jVs
IDMf Supporter
jVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MC
Scruffy City
MC Status: 105314889

The DAW that started it all on the Playstation console. The visuals that a user could set to music was just as awesome!

------------------
Make synths 1984 again.
jVs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to jVs
Kvlt O))) (10-03-2015)
Old 10-03-2015, 10:51 PM   #8
Mctoast
Savage Mad Cunt
Mctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MC
MC Status: 38697

There used to be forum for this game, but it died few years back. I'll try to make acid breakcore on it tonight and fail miserably.

------------------
Mctoast is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Mctoast
Kvlt O))) (10-03-2015)
Old 10-04-2015, 07:26 AM   #9
Schnork
Ghostly
Schnork has a reputation beyond reputeSchnork has a reputation beyond reputeSchnork has a reputation beyond reputeSchnork has a reputation beyond reputeSchnork has a reputation beyond reputeSchnork has a reputation beyond reputeSchnork has a reputation beyond reputeSchnork has a reputation beyond reputeSchnork has a reputation beyond reputeSchnork has a reputation beyond reputeSchnork has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 9510

Haaah! I played that, too! Got it from one of those Demo CDs, that came with those magazines. Actually spent a whole summer with it

My first DAW
Schnork is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:07 PM   #10
vashima
vashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MC
Pocatello, Idaho
MC Status: 13410

Oh man, it must have slipped through my childhood. I don't remember ever hearing about it. I'll have to check it out. Certainly would have been fucking awesome back in '98.
vashima is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to vashima
Kvlt O))) (10-07-2015)
Old 10-07-2015, 12:05 AM   #11
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard

I found a copy of Music 2000 on ISO Zone that I'm going to check for the same glitch / crash problem that MMG has on Windows 7. If it works, I'll upload it and post it in the OP. Apparently everyone's been having the same issue, but the last time I ran it on XP, it worked great (this was 2006, so I don't know).

I'm going to post a quick capture process on the emulated version sometime if anyone's interested (and maybe a memory card-to-PC transfer if anyone's interested in extended nerdery). I can't believe so many people on here used this back when it was cool.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:19 AM   #12
vashima
vashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MC
Pocatello, Idaho

Yea man, I would be way down to try her out. On my PC system I'm running Windows 7 Pro. Hopefully there is a working version on it. I'd love to fiddle around with the program, see what I was missing out on while I was playing FF7 and Tony Hawk. Thanks for looking into it.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:37 PM   #13
Optimal Prime
Ghostly
Optimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond repute
Greater Manchester
MC Status: 5460

This is where it literally began for me when it comes to music production, back in Christmas 98 when I got the original "Music" before Music 2000 which came out about a year later and was the superior version. By the time Music Generator for the PS2 came out I'd just started Uni doing my Music Tech Degree so moved onto PC with the likes of Reason and Acid. That one was also odd how they had the vertical arrangement screen like a tracker.

------------------
Newest Track: Optimal Prime - Apollo

Optimal Prime is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Optimal Prime
vashima (10-09-2015)
Old 10-09-2015, 04:40 AM   #14
vashima
Pocatello, Idaho

Oh man! This thread just made me remember playing this game at my cousins house when I was pretty young. Awesome haha. I think it came out in like 1992 or 1993.

Advertisements