Rotten and best forgotten - or fresh again
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Techno Techno Techno Techno Techno

Old 05-07-2015, 11:05 AM   #1
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 52010
Thanked 1,040 Times in 767 Posts
Rotten and best forgotten - or fresh again

So, time for a little survey. For my 'Old School' project I was listening to a lot of early Techno again. And there are clearly sounds in these that you don't hear as much any more, And I'm not sure that is all deserved, as that sound - to me at least - is still as massive as it used to be. Not always as polished and refined as contemporary productions, but unrelenting in energy.

Hence... is it rotten and best forgotten - or fresh again. Put on you bell bottoms, groom your mutton chops and let us know. Here's a list (incomplete, I'm sure):

1. House music samples
2. Hoover sounds
3. Bare knuckles distorted TB-303
4. Blaring, unfiltered saw tooth synths
5. Sci-fi movie samples
6. TR-808/909 baselines
7. Air horns, whistles, air raid sirens, crowd cheers
8. Analog synths as main lead

Andy

Advertisements

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2015, 10:39 PM   #2
dgn0
Regular Freak
dgn0 is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Re: Rotten and best forgotten - or fresh again

You could put up some audible examples
dgn0 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 08:55 AM   #3
Esten Toreo
Microknight
Esten Toreo is a splendid one to beholdEsten Toreo is a splendid one to beholdEsten Toreo is a splendid one to beholdEsten Toreo is a splendid one to beholdEsten Toreo is a splendid one to beholdEsten Toreo is a splendid one to beholdEsten Toreo is a splendid one to beholdEsten Toreo is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 960
Re: Rotten and best forgotten - or fresh again

Alrite fella

Looking back, the fact it's not as polished and refined is exactly what's so great about it. But those sounds have also been explored a lot so to release stuff today using those sounds you really have to come up with something unique or special.

I've got a large back-catalogue of old-school Techno/Trance/House and for me there's no need really to seek any more new stuff. Sometimes I hear a tune and note the name to download it but since 2002ish I mostly seek out new unique music now like Clarke, Milanese, MGMT, Air, Black Moth Super Rainbow.

I'm not an everything was better back in the day moaner except for dance music. But like I said, have a great collection of old school, plenty of new cool music coming out and come across the occasional gem of a dance tune that has that old school vibe.

By the way have you heard Leftfield's new album Alternative Light Source? It's not the exact type of sounds you mentioned but I reckon you'd like it.

Advertisements

------------------
Industrial Glitch-Hop Psychofunk?

Esten Toreo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote