The "Let's make some Techno thread..."
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Go Back Ľ Music By Genre Ľ Techno
Old 07-01-2015, 05:07 PM   #1
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 42160
The "Let's make some Techno thread..."

So, relic asked for a thread like this: http://www.idmforums.com/showthread.php?t=139415

I'm just too happy to oblige. All too often what goes for Techno these days is an insipid regurgitation of tired stereotypes that weren't that great in the first place. At least pick up one of the great ideas that are out there.

So, let me challenge you twofold:

1. Pick no more than four tracks that define to you beyond doubt what Techno should sound like

2. Show us what you got

Is that what you had in mind, relic?

Andy

Advertisements

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 05:12 PM   #2
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8507280
Thanked 6,327 Times in 4,543 Posts
Re: The "Let's make some Techno thread..."

Something like that. Out of no where I have recently found this passion for Techno (and House, but that's another story). There is a thread on another forum where people post tunes they like, talk production techniques and post their own tunes, give feedback etc. It's nice that it is all kind of self contained.

Its kind of like building a little scrapbook for the forum IMO. Also, spot on place to start the thread...I was going to ask a mod before hand where to put it...but I think this will do nicely.

The only thing I would caution here is that we don't post our tracks in multiple places--like if you post one here, don't also post it in the LB. That might get spam-ish pretty fast.

I'll be back with you shortly...

--------------------

I really love the rhythm of this even though it isn't that four to the floor beat. I also love two note bass that drives the track and some how doesn't get boring. The bass tone is just spot on. A lot of other great stuff going on : )

25 Best Dub Techno Tracks of All Time -FACT Magazine

^That might be of interest to people into the dubby side of things.

Last edited by relic; 07-01-2015 at 05:19 PM..

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:15 PM   #3
Mctoast
Savage Mad Cunt
Mctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MC
MC Status: 38747

I probably can record a techno jam on my modular for this, anyways:

I don't know much about techno, I like drexciya and whatnot.

------------------
Mctoast is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:32 PM   #4
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

^i like that attitude much more than "let me tell you what is and isn't techno...here is my really narrow definition". . can't wait to listen to your examples!

------------------
Thanks to relic
liquid_air (07-01-2015)
Old 07-01-2015, 10:47 PM   #5
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny

Haha, I know. That was intentional. I am really curious what everyone is into. I have been pondering the matter as the day went on. I think the tracks that I am going to select should be the ones that I have come back to over and over again, preferably a decade old or more so that they have stood the test of time, and they should represent a style or sound that generally resonates with me. Much of my short list also has very personal sentiment value, as I can often recall the exact moment I first heard it in the club and had my mind blown.

Andy

pls. see tagline for my narrow and specific definition

------------------

Thanks to liquid_air
relic (07-02-2015)
Old 07-01-2015, 11:11 PM   #6
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mctoast View Post
I probably can record a techno jam on my modular for this, anyways:

I don't know much about techno, I like drexciya and whatnot.
Last tune is right at home in my playlist. Ken Block as well. Drexciya is of course a staple.

Nice!

------------------

Old 07-01-2015, 11:31 PM   #7
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

Ok, so here we go. My picks:

1. Jam & Spoon - Age of Love (Watch out for Stella remix)

http://youtu.be/54r3UCzAlro

2. Ramin- Brain Ticket

http://youtu.be/vJXHvrrAMFE

3. Metal Master - Simply Metal

http://youtu.be/lnHznv1WUN4

4. Fuck the industry - This is B.U.G. (Dub Jumper Mix)

http://youtu.be/SbhX_vEWbf0

As you may note, all of this is from 90/91 and hence 25 years old. Some of it sounds dated, perhaps, but Age of Love has to be one of the all time greatest remixes. I still get goosebumps.

Simply Metal... well this thing was sported on Harthouse and Sven Všth was one of the producers. It's still amazing what such sparse instrumentation can achieve. I remember it like yesterday. It was around noon on a sunny summer day. I was standing a foot away from a massive speaker 6 ft tall and the system was blaring to deafening volume. This tune came on and I could feel the air pressure from the speaker on my skin. My only thought at that time was: louder! Can we please have the volume turned up some more.

Andy

Last edited by liquid_air; 07-02-2015 at 01:12 AM..

------------------

Thanks to liquid_air
relic (07-02-2015)
Old 07-02-2015, 01:16 AM   #8
Esten Toreo
Microknight
Esten Toreo is a splendid one to beholdEsten Toreo is a splendid one to beholdEsten Toreo is a splendid one to beholdEsten Toreo is a splendid one to beholdEsten Toreo is a splendid one to beholdEsten Toreo is a splendid one to beholdEsten Toreo is a splendid one to beholdEsten Toreo is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 960

I'm defo in, in a couple of posts' time

I really think forums can never have enough threads that spur people on to produce, like sound design challenges etc. It's good to chat but at the end of the day we all want to make music right?
Esten Toreo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 02:08 PM   #9
Esten Toreo
Microknight
Esten Toreo is a splendid one to beholdEsten Toreo is a splendid one to beholdEsten Toreo is a splendid one to beholdEsten Toreo is a splendid one to beholdEsten Toreo is a splendid one to beholdEsten Toreo is a splendid one to beholdEsten Toreo is a splendid one to beholdEsten Toreo is a splendid one to behold

Nice so I can post links now...

Here's what's widely considered the first hardcore techno track. I love it, think Aphex Twin remixed it but it'll be shit compared to the original for sure:

Then love this one:

Finally, RIP Mark Bell:

I still know fuck all about techno btw. Hardly listen to it other than the odd classic, but I love it and should listen more.

Inspired by a thread on another forum, I'm gonna make a track and post it here, even if it's shit, using only three samples... Kick, Hat, Bongo.

Here are the samples and a preview of the three sounds if you fancy giving it a go:

http://www.filedropper.com/estentoreo-07-02-06-14-38

Old 07-03-2015, 02:17 PM   #10
Esten Toreo
Microknight

Ok so I "Let's made some Techno"!

This is just a rough progress post, zero arrangement just an idea of where it's heading

So yeah only used the three sounds above, a kick, hat and bongo. I think you'll see I've changed them somewhat!

It's not a dark track, maybe you could call it ambient? Trying to find a balance between it sounding mellow but not cheesy. I'm gradually building loads of sounds and might ditch some of these as I go on.

Am focusing on the sound design first before doing anything with the beat.

Cool stuff I did with the sounds:

Made five oscillators in five separate ableton samplers, by cycling waveforms in the three samples. Then detuned them and filtered them independently. They all have a different pitch wheel range so the sound at the start goes from a single G note to a chord when you pitch up. Then the modwheel changes the filters to make it sound like another chord but really it's just the harmonics becoming more prominent in certain notes of the chord. 2 oscs have a slower attack time too which contributes to that.

The random plucky noisy atmos is tiny noise clicks taken from the bongo and then ran through about 25 plugins. Effectrix tone delay, abletons corpus and resonator all give the sound an in-key tone. Lots of subtle, slow modulation and effects mean that, for me personally, I can listen to it for ages without it getting boring.

Any critical comments on where it's at and where is should be going are much welcome.

Cheers

Thanks to Esten Toreo
liquid_air (07-04-2015)
Old 07-04-2015, 03:07 AM   #11
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

that's a pretty sweet piece you're building Esten.

------------------

Old 07-05-2015, 11:55 AM   #12
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

It's slow going for me. Wish I had something ready now, but it's taking time...

------------------

Old 07-05-2015, 04:56 PM   #13
relic
IDMf Supporter
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

The holiday weekend has me way behind o this thread. Should be catching up next week yall. Stoked for this.

------------------
Thanks to relic
Esten Toreo (07-13-2015)
Old 07-05-2015, 08:01 PM   #14
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

Ok, well, now with the Holiday weekend I had some time on my hands. I do have something now, but I'm not sure what y'all are going to think of this. I said it was gonna be Old School, but I may have gone a tad overboard. Now, I will say this, though. This is the first time I was trying to "tell a story line" in a song. It's so plainly obvious that I'm not going to belabor it further.

As I threatened, I wanted to make a track that was inspired by early 90s Techno. It had to have some SciFi theme to it and feature the sounds of the day. You have TR-808/909, TB-303, JU-1/2 based Hoovers, and - of course - robot and SciFi samples. Starting with the famous Berserk sample... "Humanoid Intruder Alert". It's all solidly vintage. The last minute is kind of nice, I think.

Let me know what you think.

Andy

iOS URL: http://soundcloud.com/liquid-air-2/l...reedom-edition

... man, the more I listen to this, the more terrible it sounds. This is pretty darn awful.

Last edited by liquid_air; 07-06-2015 at 01:47 AM.. Reason: Regret

------------------

Thanks to liquid_air
Esten Toreo (07-13-2015)
Old 07-13-2015, 12:55 AM   #15
Esten Toreo
Microknight

Aciiid!

That was fun hehe. I liked the parts where riffs were talking to each other, question and answer style. I'm sure if you refined some parts it could be worked into a sweet track but yeah I think you know yourself it's a bit rough round the edges. Good though.

You're ahead of me dude, I went back to the drawing board and now have most of the building blocks for arranging and mixing. Still sticking to my challenge and learning some cool shit in the process. Like relic have been busy as well.

Looking forward to posting my track, it's nothing special but I had a lot of fun doing it and it's nuts how with todays software all audio is like silly putty.
Thanks to Esten Toreo
liquid_air (07-13-2015)
Old 07-13-2015, 02:21 AM   #16
relic
IDMf Supporter
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

I'm still watching...need to catch up listening...working on something new...think I've felt out how I want to play it live

------------------
Old 07-13-2015, 02:56 AM   #17
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

Right on! I've been reworking the sounds from my last track and it has significantly evolved. I suffered quite a bit from over instrumentation (for lack of a better word). That is, my stuff has too much stuff going on. Trying to play a bit more with silence and dial back the 303. I think I like where it's headed. Ah... the cheesy robot samples will be gone, too.

Andy

------------------

Currently Listening To: https://soundcloud.com/adambeyer/dcr257-drumcode-radio-live-adam-beyer-live-from-awak
Old 07-13-2015, 05:17 AM   #18
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

Ok... done with my re-work: http://www.idmforums.com/showthread.php?t=139557

Let me know what you think. The final mix is still rough, but I quite like where it's headed.

Andy

------------------

Old 07-15-2015, 12:07 AM   #19
Mctoast
Savage Mad Cunt
Mctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MC
MC Status: 38747

https://soundcloud.com/satannoidi_1/techno-live
Too lazy to put it on listening booth, no one listens shit there anyways.

This is probably too boring to listen to, skip around if you must. I guess it's techno, right?

------------------
Mctoast is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 12:36 AM   #20
Esten Toreo
Microknight

http://www.idmforums.com/showthread....03#post1344303

^ My effort

I wish I was into production and the right age when the old school techno scene was alive and kicking.

That's pretty filthy McToast! Gabba style. Awesome, like the timing. I'm gonna try something a bit more brutal next time. Balls on the table style.

Are you using modular gear McToast? I had some sweet gear but moved and can't use it now.

Advertisements