Hi-res audio folk to introduce new rules and weed out impure noises
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 06-26-2015, 12:26 PM   #1
Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
Stercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42346049
Thanked 4,241 Times in 2,764 Posts
Hi-res audio folk to introduce new rules and weed out impure noises

Deliberately putting this in tech section, not one of the music sections, as its specifically about Ze Science. Well, at least it aims to be

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/06...on_guidelines/

I'm surprised that it makes news at all in The Register and that this type of discussion makes it into the semi-mainstream.

Probably more for the 'listening' types of people than the 'making' types of people unless you're someone who works in the delivery of such material.

I did chuckle at the last 2 paragraphs.

Figured I'd flag this up since it may be of passing interest to IDMf denizens

Advertisements

------------------
This mind intentionally blank.
Stercogburn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Stercogburn
A.M (06-26-2015)
Old 06-26-2015, 02:31 PM   #2
Esten Toreo
Microknight
Esten Toreo is a splendid one to beholdEsten Toreo is a splendid one to beholdEsten Toreo is a splendid one to beholdEsten Toreo is a splendid one to beholdEsten Toreo is a splendid one to beholdEsten Toreo is a splendid one to beholdEsten Toreo is a splendid one to beholdEsten Toreo is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 960
Re: Hi-res audio folk to introduce new rules and weed out impure noises

What's the point? Hardly anyone has any respect for music quality now anyway, listening on in-ear headphones and laptop speakers. Is part of the reason for the loudness war, and why nothing can be just subby bass anymore, it has to have loads of high end to compensate for shit playback systems.
Esten Toreo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 08:53 AM   #3
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153360
Thanked 3,067 Times in 2,150 Posts

The average dickhole couldn't tell a 128 stream from a 320. How do I know? I'm that dickhole
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 10:10 PM   #4
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65210
Thanked 1,304 Times in 984 Posts

I thought it was an interesting article, but not surprising. I think the issue is gear towards audiophiles who buy and collect DSD's and 24-bit 96 kHz FLAC's. I had a friend who was like that and it was hard trying to convince him that a lot of that technology was overkill.

But at the same time, I also resent low-fidelity audio. I grew up with high-fidelity audio playback systems (not top of the line, but good enough and better than what is common now). But essentially any of us who own good studio monitors,.... we are the new generations of hi-fi whether you want to be or not. Cause we're the only ones listening on systems that sound good enough to mix on (hopefully).

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:35 AM   #5
Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
Stercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42346049
Thanked 4,241 Times in 2,764 Posts

That's pretty much it. Its aimed at audiophiles, not those who don't care about the quality so long as they can get it for free.

Advertisements

------------------
This mind intentionally blank.
Stercogburn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote