This new Redux VST thing...
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Workstation Center Digital audio workstations (DAW), trackers, sequencers and programming.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:32 PM   #1
lectrixboogaloo
Minor Glitch
lectrixboogaloo is just really nicelectrixboogaloo is just really nicelectrixboogaloo is just really nicelectrixboogaloo is just really nicelectrixboogaloo is just really nice
MC Status: 410
This new Redux VST thing...

Are you playing with it? Is it good for you? I put it in my DAW a few times.

Advertisements

lectrixboogaloo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 06:28 PM   #2
lectrixboogaloo
Minor Glitch
lectrixboogaloo is just really nicelectrixboogaloo is just really nicelectrixboogaloo is just really nicelectrixboogaloo is just really nicelectrixboogaloo is just really nice
Re: This new Redux VST thing...

Ya, ya, I like it. Didn't think I would like it much, but... seems like nice stuff.
Old 07-06-2015, 04:52 PM   #3
agent
Deep Underground
agent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MC
SEATTLE
MC Status: 525520

Seems pretty in depth.. Almost like a slimmed down, tweaked version of Renoise as a vst.

I'm keeping my eye on bc I could never get me brain around Renoise rewired into Live
agent is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 08:40 PM   #4
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153410
Thanked 3,068 Times in 2,151 Posts

Does someone feel like filling in an idiot? Is this a tracker VST or something? Sounds pretty cool, will google.
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:41 PM   #5
agent
Deep Underground
agent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MC
SEATTLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
Does someone feel like filling in an idiot? Is this a tracker VST or something? Sounds pretty cool, will google.
Yeah it's basically like a mini version of renoise as a vst
Thanks to agent
Kvlt O))) (08-06-2015)
Old 08-06-2015, 02:15 AM   #6
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 163910
Thanked 3,278 Times in 2,446 Posts

That looks really interesting..even to someone like me, who usually runs a mile whenever he hears the word "tracker". I don't have anything against them or those who use em..it's just I could never get my head around using them I guess.

But I really like the way they seem to have successfully merged both types of models together..the usual synth-type and the tracker, into the one program/instrument/vst..

Yeah..I think I might get this myself..and I had to look again at the price..thought it was going to cost a LOT more than it does..which is also a cool thing going in its favor. Given Renoise's track record, I think this is one everyone should have in their toolbox.

------------------
A.M is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 03:34 PM   #7
laser
Microknight
laser is a splendid one to beholdlaser is a splendid one to beholdlaser is a splendid one to beholdlaser is a splendid one to beholdlaser is a splendid one to beholdlaser is a splendid one to beholdlaser is a splendid one to beholdlaser is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 960

So this is basically Renoise for people who can't into ReWire or want to save some cpu ressources etc.?

I don't see the difference between this and Renoise. Except that Redux can't be standalone as Renoise and probably has some missing capabilities.
laser is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 06:09 PM   #8
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser View Post
So this is basically Renoise for people who can't into ReWire or want to save some cpu ressources etc.?

I don't see the difference between this and Renoise. Except that Redux can't be standalone as Renoise and probably has some missing capabilities.
Yeah..you could be right, but I guess we need somebody whose used to Renoise and who has used this to comment on that.

Like I said already, I'm not a Renoise user, so I can't really offer anything in regards to its feature set..but it's certainly handy given you can play it like a standard synth..with the added capability of dragging and dropping sound files into it to work on within your DAW.

I don't know if you could do that in the standalone Renoise, but being able to do the things this offers in just one instance in your DAW makes this pretty cool thing to have. It kind of looks to me like a half-way thing between a tracker and the no defunct Camel Audio's "Alchemy" , in the way it lets you play with sounds in real time.

Maybe I took it up completely wrong, but if this is the case, then it's a really useful program to have, even if you already use Renoise..and even if you don't.

------------------
Old 08-06-2015, 06:28 PM   #9
Evelon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214388898
Thanked 2,809 Times in 1,753 Posts

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Evelon
A.M (08-06-2015)
Old 08-06-2015, 06:32 PM   #10
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8519230
Thanked 6,566 Times in 4,686 Posts

I don't get what the argument is here...the Renoise website specifically states that it is just the sampler instrument with some extras from Renoise. : )

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
A.M (08-06-2015)
Old 08-06-2015, 06:36 PM   #11
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
I don't get what the argument is here...the Renoise website specifically states that it is just the sampler instrument with some extras from Renoise. : )
Is that a good or a bad thing? I mean, would somebody who already has Renoise be bothered buying this..don't they already have everything it offers..or am I missing something..aside from the whole vst thing?

Personally I think I might get it..but I could understand Renoise users thinking they might give it a miss.

------------------
Old 08-06-2015, 06:49 PM   #12
A.M

Just found this posted over on the KVR forum..

"Redux will be an instrument plugin (VST on Windows, OSX and Linux - Audio Unit on OSX - all in 32 and 64 bit flavors), which brings the sample-mangling and pattern hacking capabilities of Renoise to any DAW which is capable of hosting VST or AU plugins. Redux is NOT intended to be Renoise as a plugin – we have ReWire for that – but it has been developed based on Renoises's new sampler and phrases to be an instrument. Redux has its own identity, and is more like Renoise's little brother.

This means that, without resorting to tricks like Rewire, the sample-mangling capabilities of Renoise will soon be available to any DAW, too. We hope this is useful for everyone to try out the Renoise tracking workflow without leaving your favorite DAW, or for Renoise users to bring your Renoise way of composing into other DAWs. Any instruments created in Renoise will be fully compatible with Redux, and vice versa."

------------------
Old 08-06-2015, 07:06 PM   #13
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8519230
Thanked 6,566 Times in 4,686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
Just found this posted over on the KVR forum..

"Redux will be an instrument plugin (VST on Windows, OSX and Linux - Audio Unit on OSX - all in 32 and 64 bit flavors), which brings the sample-mangling and pattern hacking capabilities of Renoise to any DAW which is capable of hosting VST or AU plugins. Redux is NOT intended to be Renoise as a plugin we have ReWire for that but it has been developed based on Renoises's new sampler and phrases to be an instrument. Redux has its own identity, and is more like Renoise's little brother.

This means that, without resorting to tricks like Rewire, the sample-mangling capabilities of Renoise will soon be available to any DAW, too. We hope this is useful for everyone to try out the Renoise tracking workflow without leaving your favorite DAW, or for Renoise users to bring your Renoise way of composing into other DAWs. Any instruments created in Renoise will be fully compatible with Redux, and vice versa."

That is exactly what I was referring to. And yes, I see no reason a Renoise user would buy this. That is unless they wanted to switch to another DAW and only have these abilities. I'm sure this is much less CPU intensive than ReWire.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 06:50 AM   #14
lectrixboogaloo
Minor Glitch

I use renoise but not all the time. It's cool being able to use all my kits and other stuff in any DAW. Redux is currently a little more advanced than the sampler in Renoise until they update it.

It's really just the sampler, though, with tracker control of the samples. It's not really a plug-in tracker. You can't sequence other VSTs with it. But you can use the tracker style 'phrases' to program your beats, arps, melodies whatever for your samples plus do all the Sxx stretching, retrigs, scrubs all that shit. Pretty cool. Makes an awesome drum machine plug in for me, anyway. It uses more cpu than it seems it should, though. Damnit... i mean, wtf? Still cool with it, though.
Old 09-06-2015, 05:59 PM   #15
agent
Deep Underground
SEATTLE

If it has midi out then I'm game... using a tracker vst to control VSTs and VSTi would be da'bomb... and I never say "da'bomb" so you know I'm excited
Thanks to agent
A.M (09-06-2015)
Old 09-06-2015, 06:26 PM   #16
lectrixboogaloo
Minor Glitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent View Post
If it has midi out then I'm game... using a tracker vst to control VSTs and VSTi would be da'bomb... and I never say "da'bomb" so you know I'm excited
Well, I'm pretty certain it does not do that. Could have missed somethin', I hope so, but I don't think so...

It's not reVisit. Maybe you want to check that one out, if ya haven't. (what's with all these 're' this and 're' thats...)
Old 10-06-2015, 12:20 AM   #17
agent
Deep Underground
SEATTLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by lectrixboogaloo View Post
Well, I'm pretty certain it does not do that. Could have missed somethin', I hope so, but I don't think so...

It's not reVisit. Maybe you want to check that one out, if ya haven't. (what's with all these 're' this and 're' thats...)

What I mean... is, many VSTs that dont fully come out and say it have midi out abilities so that you can use its sequencer and so on.. So if this has MIDI out that you can route to other MIDI channels via your host application then that would be awesome as its the sequencer (or tracker actually) from Renoise that makes all the difference. Sample players are a dime a dozen
Old 25-08-2015, 01:21 PM   #18
Straylight
Straylight will become famous soon enoughStraylight will become famous soon enough
North Las Vegas, USA
MC Status: 110

As a Renoise user/fanboy myself, I will admit, midi routing (from VSTs into Renoise and vica versa) is a bit of a headache for me sometimes.

Currently I build my drum tracks in Maschine stand alone, and then when I'm ready to import them into Renoise, it's easy enough to just drag the midi data over and drag the audio over into separate tracks. But if I'm already working on a project, then I have to create a new blank project in a second instance of Renoise, copy everything over from Maschine into that instance, and then copy everything from that instance over to my other project I already had going. Which is... kinda dumb. It's been years and they still haven't fixed this, though, maybe that's next on the list in 3.1 or something later this year?

Not exactly holding my breath for it though. Also, would be cool if anyone who owns Redux could post an update in this thread mentioning if they had any problems getting midi note data into/out of the Redux sequencer from either another VST or a separate program like Maschine. That's something I've been curious about but nobody on the official forum has talked about it yet.

Advertisements

Straylight is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote