FL Studio 12 - Tips & Tricks
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 05-29-2015, 01:24 PM   #1
DjRapitops
IDMf Supporter
DjRapitops has a reputation beyond reputeDjRapitops has a reputation beyond reputeDjRapitops has a reputation beyond reputeDjRapitops has a reputation beyond reputeDjRapitops has a reputation beyond reputeDjRapitops has a reputation beyond reputeDjRapitops has a reputation beyond reputeDjRapitops has a reputation beyond reputeDjRapitops has a reputation beyond reputeDjRapitops has a reputation beyond reputeDjRapitops has a reputation beyond repute
Helsinki
MC Status: 2010
Icon7 FL Studio 12 - Tips & Tricks

FL Studio 12 - Tips & Tricks

NEW Latest update: 06.08.2015
----
Hey, I thought about creating a new tips & tricks thread with tons of tips categorized into groups to ease use, and include pictures.

This thread is updated with new tips as I find them.
If there is a tip you know and it is not on the list, post it, and I will very likely add it to the list

All of the tips will also be on my webpage (Currently just Function part)
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Original FL Tips Thread (Almost all of the tips from there are also here with pictures )
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

----
Contents
  • Function
    - Cut Groups
    - Ducking/Sidechaining
    - Automate non native VST knobs/sliders
    - Varying drum (Snare)
    - Swing Loops
    - De-ess using Maximus NEW
  • Workflow
    - Organize Samplers/VSTs and Mixer tracks
    - Easy Arpeggiator
    - Split by Channel
    - Piano roll colors
    - Recover just played midi data
    - Copy Mixer tracks/Presets/Midi data/Ect easily
    - Undo multiple times
    - Swap drum samples quickly
    - Playlist Song start
  • Performance
    - Smart disable plugins
    - Zoom levels
  • Visual
    - Playlist Quick Zoom
  • Hardware
    - Override generic link (Midi knob/slider linking)
    - Tempo control with Joystick
  • Other
----
Function
----
Cut Open Hat when Closed Hat plays
We're going to use the closed hat to cut the tail of the open hat.

1. Click Cut Itself from the sampler settings window of the Closed hat.
2. Click Cut Itself from the sampler settings window of the Open hat and change the By to the value of the Closed hat

This can be used to cut any VST/Sample with any other VST/Sample

Ducking with the act of Sidechaining
There are three simple ways (might be others but these are the most common) to make a sound duck by sidechaining in FL Studio.

1/3 - Fruity Limiter
1. Route Kick to the Instrument with 0 volume (Sidechain to this track)
2. Open Limiter onto the Instrument's mixer channel
3. Select the Kick from the Limiter (in this case it is 1 - number is determined by the order of routed channels from left to the right)
4. Lower the Threshold and Raise the Ratio until you get the desired effect.
5. You can fiddle with these for optimal effect, but it is only optional

2/3 - Fruity Peak Controller
1. Open the Peak Controller onto the Kick's mixer channel
2. Right click the instrument's Fader and select Link to Controller (You can also do this with EQs as well)
3. Select the Peak Controller from the Internal Controller
4. Put the maximum value you want the Fader to reach to Base and the Volume as negative.
5. Fiddle with the Tension and Decay knobs for desired sidechain effect.
Remember to unmute! (Unless using different sidechain and kick channels)

3/3 - Gross Beat
1. Open Gross Beat onto the Instrument's mixer channel and select Sidechain
2. Change the tension of the graph for desired effect

Automate non native VST knobs/sliders
If right clicking a knob of a VST does not bring up the usual menu tweak it a little and then go
Tools>Last Tweaked to get the menu. Here you can for example create automation clip or link to controller.

Inside Patcher:
Fiddle the knob, right click the VST inside Patcher - Go Inputs>Parameters and at the top is Last Tweaked. This will activate the parameter and you can access the menu from the red dot in Patcher.

Varying drums (Snare)
If you have multiple varying samples of the same drum, you can randomize each hit with layer.

1. Set the snares as layer's children
2. Enable Random

Swing loops
Normally swing does not affect loops, but you can change that

1. Open Slicex and throw your loop in it.
2. Select Marker and Auto Slice. In my opinion Sharp auto slice creates the best swing.

De-ess using Maximus
De-essing using a regular EQ can change the properties of the vocals, by using a multi-band compressor you can focus just on the S

1. Select the S to be on the orange (Mid) section
2. Change the compression curve so that the S is as loud as the rest of the voices.

----
Workflow
----
Organize Samplers/VSTs and Mixer channels
Select VST/Sampler (or multiple) and press ALT+Up/Down to move them in the Channel rack
Select a mixer channel (or multiple by holding Ctrl) and press ALT+Left/Right to move them in the mixer.
- Please note that Seperators appear left of a mixer channel and therefore move with that channel

Easy Arpeggiator
There are two ways to easily arp a chord. (Important! You need to have the chords to arpeggiate!)

1. In the settings tab there is an Arpeggiator. This, unfortunately, can not be seen in the Piano roll.
2. To open this window go Tools>Arpeggiator from the piano roll window or press ALT+A. The effect can be seen on the piano roll window.

Split by Channel
Open the pattern options menu and click Split by Channel. This will put each piano roll/step sequencer data of each instrument to corresponding patterns.

Piano roll colors
You can slide 2 notes to 2 different notes to different directions with colors like so:
The 16 colors are the 16 different midi-channels
(Sidenote, this sounds awful)

Recover just played midi data
Have you ever played something and then moment later don't know how you played it? No worries.

Make a new pattern and Dump score log to selected pattern - and there it is!

Copy Mixer tracks/Presets/Midi data/Ect easily
Anything with this icon can be dragged to another instance to quickly copy it.

A whole mixer effect chain for example.

Undo multiple times
If you have not noticed you can actually undo more than once.
Ctrl+Alt+Z will allow multiple undos and Ctrl+Z will act as redo afterwards.

Swap drum samples quickly
Select the sampler and middle click the new sample, this will replace the old sample.

Playlist Song Start
Place a timemarker on the playlist (Menu>Time markers>Add one OR Alt+T)
Right click the marker and select Start
Now when you click stop it will bring you to this point (And render starting from this point)
----
Performance
----
Smart disable plugins
Go to Tools>Macros>Swich smart disable for all plugins
This will enable disabling of VSTs when they are not in use to save processing power.

Zoom levels
----
Visual
----
Playlist Quick Zoom
Use Shift+1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 to quickly change the zoom of the playlist.
Shift+0 Focuses on the current location of the play marker. If you hold it while the project is playing the zoom will move smoothly with the marker.

----
Hardware
----
Override generic link (Midi knob/slider linking)
1. Click the override generic link button. Move the knob/slider you want to link to the real knob/slider
2. Click the override generic link button again.
3. Move the real knob/slider and it will automatically link. (When you have auto detect enabled)

Tempo Control with Joystick
1. Open Fruity Envelope controller or X-Y controller
2. Override the generic links of the X and Y (instructions above) to the joystick's directions
(3. On the Envelope controller select Modulation X/Y mapping and change the graph)
Note: There can be 8 different envelopes for the same X and Y knobs, so be creative!
4. Right click the Tempo display and link it to the Y or X controller of your choice.
(You can of course, just override the generic link of the Tempo by itself)

Additional tip: You can copy one of the samples and just adjust the pitch

NEW Latest update: 06.08.2015

Last edited by DjRapitops; 08-13-2015 at 11:12 AM..

Advertisements

DjRapitops is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 01:51 PM   #2
DjRapitops
IDMf Supporter
DjRapitops has a reputation beyond reputeDjRapitops has a reputation beyond reputeDjRapitops has a reputation beyond reputeDjRapitops has a reputation beyond reputeDjRapitops has a reputation beyond reputeDjRapitops has a reputation beyond reputeDjRapitops has a reputation beyond reputeDjRapitops has a reputation beyond reputeDjRapitops has a reputation beyond reputeDjRapitops has a reputation beyond reputeDjRapitops has a reputation beyond repute
Helsinki
Re: FL Studio 12 - Tips & Tricks

Credits (For original tips):
napalmbob
lonewolf
redfive
Thomas
etonloupe
Thomssen

Last edited by DjRapitops; 06-03-2015 at 11:41 AM..
Old 05-31-2015, 11:16 AM   #3
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 16310

my fl 12..... tip dont bother with 12 stick to 11 till they sort there shit out with it.
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:56 AM   #4
DjRapitops
IDMf Supporter
Helsinki

Quote:
Originally Posted by joem View Post
my fl 12..... tip dont bother with 12 stick to 11 till they sort there shit out with it.
I don't see anything wrong with it. Sure it took some time to get used to the new UI but after that it is much smoother than 11 and the mixer functions are way better for the workflow (like routing multiple mixer channels to a submix with a single selection).

I left 11 on my pc just incase something would be wrong with 12. I have not opened it after installation of 12.

Plus, they said that there is no going back to the old UI, so sooner you get used to the new UI, the better.
-Rapitops

------------------

[url]https://soundcloud.com/djrapitops/arrival/url]
Thanks to DjRapitops
jVs (07-30-2015)
Old 06-03-2015, 12:03 PM   #5
DjRapitops
IDMf Supporter
Helsinki

Alright, I have taken all tips I thought would be most valuable.
Not to worry though, there will be more tips. (I just have to remember where they were)
-Rapitops

------------------

Old 07-28-2015, 12:02 AM   #6
SoaP_Music
Learning The Ropes
SoaP_Music is on a distinguished road
MC Status: 10

Thank you so much for posting this. Gating with the limited has helped me so much. I just wish I knew what MIDI Learn means in VSTs.
SoaP_Music is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 03:40 PM   #7
DjRapitops
IDMf Supporter
Helsinki

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoaP_Music View Post
Thank you so much for posting this. Gating with the limited has helped me so much. I just wish I knew what MIDI Learn means in VSTs.
I had to google what that meant - It is in there under Hardware - Override generic link
To use it in VSTs check Function - Automate non native VSTs knobs/sliders, you can access it from the same menu.
I hope this helps

------------------

Old 09-21-2015, 10:08 PM   #8
ALR7
Granular Poster
ALR7 is on a distinguished road
Panamá

This is super useful man! Thanks! Ill definitely be looking to learn this tricks.
One question, what do you guys feel about the Fl studio ASIO in comparison with the regular ASIO4ALL? Is there any major difference?
ALR7 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 04:56 PM   #9
DjRapitops
IDMf Supporter
Helsinki

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR7 View Post
This is super useful man! Thanks! Ill definitely be looking to learn this tricks.
One question, what do you guys feel about the Fl studio ASIO in comparison with the regular ASIO4ALL? Is there any major difference?
FL Asio does not "steal" sound from other programs - ie, you can listen other stuff from chrome from the same output device.

Also it seems that sometimes it causes cracking noises when you press play - but nothing else I've noticed.

------------------

Old 09-22-2015, 07:10 PM   #10
ALR7
Granular Poster
ALR7 is on a distinguished road
Panamá

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjRapitops View Post
FL Asio does not "steal" sound from other programs - ie, you can listen other stuff from chrome from the same output device.

Also it seems that sometimes it causes cracking noises when you press play - but nothing else I've noticed.
Yep, that´s what seemed a little strange to me. I did notice that you can use youtube and stuff while using it, yet I havent noticed any particular differences as far as sound goes.
Ill try asking at image line, I dont know, i just got curious. It seems to me that they could have improved something else besides the "cant listen to other stuff while using fl studio" thing.
ALR7 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 02:58 AM   #11
apo11omusic
Regular Freak
apo11omusic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR7 View Post
Yes, the interface is quite different and I do find the asio4all can boost performance more the FL Studio asio. In my opinion, FL Studio asio is a waste of space on your computer and you should really just stick to ASIO4ALL.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
apo11omusic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 10:11 AM   #12
Horace
Minor Glitch
Horace is a splendid one to beholdHorace is a splendid one to beholdHorace is a splendid one to beholdHorace is a splendid one to beholdHorace is a splendid one to beholdHorace is a splendid one to beholdHorace is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 810

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjRapitops View Post
This is a revelation.
Horace is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Horace
Nystagmus (11-23-2015)
Old 11-23-2015, 06:45 AM   #13
DotDotDotEllipsis
Minor Glitch
DotDotDotEllipsis is a jewel in the roughDotDotDotEllipsis is a jewel in the roughDotDotDotEllipsis is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260

I think the most useful thing in this tutorial is the click-and-drag presets. I've used this for quite a while but know people who had no idea this existed until I explained it to them. It's SO USEFUL!
DotDotDotEllipsis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 04:28 PM   #14
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65260
Thanked 1,305 Times in 985 Posts
Icon4 Re: FL Studio 12 - Tips & Tricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by apo11omusic View Post
Yes, the interface is quite different and I do find the asio4all can boost performance more the FL Studio asio. In my opinion, FL Studio asio is a waste of space on your computer and you should really just stick to ASIO4ALL.
On my system, FL Studio ASIO actually works better than all the other options. So it's not a waste of space for everyone.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 01:36 AM   #15
Civy
Minor Glitch
Civy will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

why would you wanna increase the zoom?
Civy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:01 AM   #16
DjRapitops
IDMf Supporter
Helsinki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civy View Post
why would you wanna increase the zoom?
In the case where you are doing incredibly precise audio cutting for example

Advertisements