Creating music for movies (like Hans Zimmer but in my own style)
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 03-06-2015, 11:19 PM   #1
submish
Learning The Ropes
submish is on a distinguished road
MC Status: 10
Creating music for movies (like Hans Zimmer but in my own style)

Hi! My name is Georg and I'd like to start to learn a music production for movies (which I always dreamt of). My dream is to create the music/soundtracks for movies and games. I'm still in high school, but I'd like to start right now. I've been saving money for some time and I'd like to invest it in a necessary software and gear.
Could you tell me, please, if it's possible to create such a music using just software and plugins ( plus maybe some hardware synthesizers )? I watched many videos & interviews with Hans Zimmer and what I noticed is that he uses a really LOT of equipment (not to mention he works with composers and records sounds from a real instruments).
So I'd like to ask you for help, is it even possible to start with an average budget (I've saved 5000 euro which is around 5500 dollars). I have just a really fast PC (i7, 16gb ram). I'm a total newbie and I don't really know where to start, so I'd really appreciate your help.

P.S I hope it's a proper forum to ask this question

Greetings!

Advertisements

submish is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 01:02 AM   #2
jVs
IDMf Supporter
jVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MC
Scruffy City
MC Status: 105314889
Re: Creating music for movies (like Hans Zimmer but in my own style)

Film scoring has always been really high up on my things to do before I die list. Of course it's possible to create it with just software. With music of this nature the only thing you really need a whole lot of is imagination and creative drive. Best of luck to you on this endeavor and you've plenty of time ahead of you to achieve your goal.

------------------
Make synths 1984 again.
jVs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to jVs
Alert (03-07-2015)
Old 03-07-2015, 07:28 AM   #3
Evelon
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214387298
Thanked 2,777 Times in 1,735 Posts

I know a lot of composers use Kontakt libraries (VSL, EWQL, Spitfire, 8dio, Soundiron, etc) to get their work done (quickly) in TV, film and games.

Once you are up and running with libraries, midi controller, audio interface, monitors, lots of RAM, etc then contact indie film-makers and send them some samples of your work.

Good luck!

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 01:42 PM   #4
submish
Learning The Ropes
submish is on a distinguished road
MC Status: 10

Thanks guys! It's really helpful and motivating! Wetty Bhite cheers, I'm sure you'll achieve it.
What DAW software do you recommend to start with?

Last edited by submish; 03-07-2015 at 02:11 PM..
submish is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 02:12 PM   #5
Evelon
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214387298
Thanked 2,777 Times in 1,735 Posts

Hans Zimmer (and many others) uses Cubase. Others uses Logic, Sonar, Pro Tools, Reaper, etc etc. Start checking out some demos.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 03:12 PM   #6
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153360
Thanked 3,067 Times in 2,150 Posts

Kontakt libraries definitely seem like the way to go. Lots of epic rock / metal bands do the same as well. Any DAW will get you similar results, depending on how familiar you are with it.
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 05:46 PM   #7
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199643768
Thanked 4,890 Times in 3,157 Posts

Well I think Hans Zimmer could probably compose an award winning film score with a Casio and a tape recorder but that'd be because he's an expert at theory. I'd suggest starting there because, while Zimmers tools are second to none, its his knowledge that makes the magic.

Edit: That's not to say don't start having fun with software just saying that the other component is just as important if not more.

Last edited by RFJ; 03-07-2015 at 05:54 PM..

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 05:05 AM   #8
jVs
IDMf Supporter
jVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MC
Scruffy City
MC Status: 105314889

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
Well I think Hans Zimmer could probably compose an award winning film score with a Casio and a tape recorder but that'd be because he's an expert at theory. I'd suggest starting there because, while Zimmers tools are second to none, its his knowledge that makes the magic.

Edit: That's not to say don't start having fun with software just saying that the other component is just as important if not more.
That's true, A knowledge of theory and composition is something that one cannot have too much of. Kind of like coffee and money if that's what drives you.

------------------
Make synths 1984 again.
jVs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to jVs
RFJ (03-09-2015)
Old 03-09-2015, 01:35 PM   #9
Stich
Savage Mad Cunt
Stich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MC
Keep Colorado Springs Lame
MC Status: 46760

Take some scenes from films you enjoy and strip out the sound. Then dub your own score over the scene, trying to match the visuals and pacing with your music. I think this is a very important part of scoring a film, as I can think of no other way of doing it. But yes, I think having a vast library of sounds is useful if you want to use instrumental ques to reference themes in the film. Think of the soundtrack to the original 1968 film "Planet of the Apes." There are instruments to mimic ape calls, the horns used in the hunt, and then there is this echo to suggest the wide open spaces of the desert. It's pretty immersive and distinctive work, and I still enjoy listening to it outside of the film.
Stich is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 03:05 PM   #10
lebeux
IDMf Artist
lebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MC
Madrid
MC Status: 59126926

About theory, Zimmer actually has no formal training and it's rather obvious when you compare him to people with a classiclal background.
lebeux is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 07:56 AM   #11
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6892609
Thanked 3,268 Times in 1,985 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
Well I think Hans Zimmer could probably compose an award winning film score with a Casio and a tape recorder but that'd be because he's an expert at theory.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebeux View Post
About theory, Zimmer actually has no formal training and it's rather obvious when you compare him to people with a classiclal background.
In Hans' own words, he speaks fluent piano roll.Can't arrange or conduct - he can't read music, thus these tasks would be impossible for him. He writes something in Cubase and then someone else does the arrangement etc.

That doesn't mean to say that he hasn't formed theories on his own. Everyone forms their own theories. But he's certainly not an expert in the classical sense.

------------------
For reference:
Quote:
Originally Posted by God*

satan = f i d
my master, my god, my lord and savior = f i d d y
my boner = f i d e l i u m

* I am not God.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 07:59 AM   #12
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC

Quote:
3) HANS IS THE BEST FILM MUSIC PRODUCER IN THE BUSINESS.

We’re not talking about technical music skills. Hans is a so-so pianist and guitarist and his knowledge of academic theory is, by intention, limited. (I was once chastised while working on The Simpsons Movie for saying “lydian flat 7″ instead of “the cartoon scale.”) He doesn’t read standard notation very well, either. But no one reads piano roll better than he does. Which gets to the heart of the matter: Hans knows what he needs to know to make it sound great.

Sometimes, that is the right musicians. Sometimes it is the right sample library. Sometimes it is the right room, or engineer, or recording technique, or mixing technique. All that counts is the end result. And it always sounds spectacular.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
Word

------------------
For reference:
Quote:

satan = f i d

* I am not God.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:23 AM   #13
professurreal
IDMf Artist
professurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MC
at the end of the tunnel
MC Status: 56310
Thanked 1,126 Times in 763 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
Word
To be honest I prefer Thomas Newman as a film composer but Hans Zimmer ist pretty amazing too and it's kinda funny because in Germany he wasn't getting good jobs because he didn't study music or had an equivalant certification...

Pretty ironic and soooo German....

Anyway, welcome and good luck!

------------------
professurreal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 09:53 AM   #14
lebeux
IDMf Artist
lebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MC
Madrid

Hans Zimmer is to scoring as Tom Cruise is to acting.

Not the germans' fault they didn't see it.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:55 PM   #15
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.

Okay everyone...

Looks like I was wrong.

Be that as it may I still wouldn't expect to pick up a copy of cuebase and be able to Zimmer any time soon.

------------------
Thanks to RFJ
Jaded (03-12-2015)
Old 03-12-2015, 04:30 PM   #16
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153360
Thanked 3,067 Times in 2,150 Posts

Well, at least he doesn't use FL Studio. Then I'd really shit my pants.
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 05:07 PM   #17
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
I live in California.

Loopmasters.

------------------
Thanks to RFJ
Jaded (03-12-2015)
Old 03-12-2015, 05:20 PM   #18
Jaded
Total mad cunt

Vengeance presents: Zimmerman House

------------------
For reference:
Quote:

satan = f i d

* I am not God.
Old 03-12-2015, 05:22 PM   #19
Jaded
Total mad cunt

Oh fuck. We have to do a community project where we all remake VMH samples using samples from Zimmerman's recordings!

------------------
For reference:
Quote:

satan = f i d

* I am not God.
Old 03-12-2015, 05:25 PM   #20
lebeux
IDMf Artist
Madrid

BWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMMMMM

would be fun but we can't do illegal sampling in community projects

Advertisements