Opinions on The Prodigy upcoming album
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 23-02-2015, 02:26 PM   #1
Mizuchi
Savage Mad Cunt
Mizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MC
Beertown
MC Status: 2147483647
Opinions on The Prodigy upcoming album

Honestly I've always been a huge fan of The Prodigy, by far one of my favorite electronic music bands. I've seen them a couple of times and they will be back in Belgium at Rock Werchter so I'm syked as fucked. I was also really syked when they announced 8 years ago or so that they were working on a new album, so for it to finally come out this year has me absolutely pumped.

However that "Nasty" song they sent out for us to gobble up leaves me a bit worried. I still like it, but it really feels like one of their weaker tracks. I mean it's supposed to be a promo song, so not their best, but not their worst either, I usually love all the tracks on their albums but that "Nasty" song has got to be my least favorite of their tracks so I'm a bit worried.

Also excited as it might rekindle that dirty UK style Garage's spark, and hear a bit more of it in clubs and at festivals. So yeah, thoughts on this, anyone?

Advertisements

------------------
Mizuchi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 03:24 PM   #2
Shepartone
Granular Poster
Shepartone has a spectacular aura aboutShepartone has a spectacular aura aboutShepartone has a spectacular aura about
Louisville
MC Status: 210
Re: Opinions on The Prodigy upcoming album

I have heavily mixed feelings on it, tipping in the favor if eager anticipation. Nasty sounded almost too much like their old stuff to be believed the first time I heard it. Like everyone's sound has changed somehow since 2010 and then they pop this thing out in 2015 and it sounds like it could have just been leftovers that hadn't made the cut for the last album. If the other tracks sound like that one it's going to be a black sheep on the shelves.

I'd love to see the album received well though I thought Nasty sounded rightly trashy and would kill to be able to go to a sold out Prodigy show.

------------------
Shepartone is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 03:50 PM   #3
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744015591
Thanked 6,963 Times in 4,342 Posts

Chinese Democracy 2.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 03:56 PM   #4
Mizuchi
Savage Mad Cunt
Mizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MC
Beertown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepartone View Post
I have heavily mixed feelings on it, tipping in the favor if eager anticipation. Nasty sounded almost too much like their old stuff to be believed the first time I heard it. Like everyone's sound has changed somehow since 2010 and then they pop this thing out in 2015 and it sounds like it could have just been leftovers that hadn't made the cut for the last album. If the other tracks sound like that one it's going to be a black sheep on the shelves.

I'd love to see the album received well though I thought Nasty sounded rightly trashy and would kill to be able to go to a sold out Prodigy show.
Still not too late to get a ticket for Werchter Only thing is a ticket to Belgium from the US ca be expensive

------------------
Old 23-02-2015, 07:07 PM   #5
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65360
Thanked 1,307 Times in 986 Posts

I am still wondering why I couldn't buy Take Me to the Hospital or Thunder from Amazon.com...

strange but true!

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 07:41 PM   #6
Mizuchi
Savage Mad Cunt
Beertown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nystagmus View Post
I am still wondering why I couldn't buy Take Me to the Hospital or Thunder from Amazon.com...

strange but true!
Honestly you are the first person I've "met" that likes Thunder more than than the rest of the album (dunno if that's really the case, but it is for me ^^)

------------------
Old 25-02-2015, 12:48 AM   #7
amalm34
Minor Glitch
amalm34 is a glorious beacon of lightamalm34 is a glorious beacon of lightamalm34 is a glorious beacon of lightamalm34 is a glorious beacon of lightamalm34 is a glorious beacon of lightamalm34 is a glorious beacon of light
Melbourne
MC Status: 510

Yeah I feel the same. Nasty was boring and frankly sounded like music people would put to a Motocross competition.

However when "the day is my enemy" showed up I loved it again, and the new song wild Frontier I was impressed again.

I am seeing them in Aus on march 9 when they will play a lot of the new album so hopefully Nasty is the only disappointment on the album.
amalm34 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 01:02 AM   #8
Smile_Price
Soundwave Mangler
Smile_Price is a splendid one to beholdSmile_Price is a splendid one to beholdSmile_Price is a splendid one to beholdSmile_Price is a splendid one to beholdSmile_Price is a splendid one to beholdSmile_Price is a splendid one to beholdSmile_Price is a splendid one to beholdSmile_Price is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 960

I can't believe they worked with Flux Pavilion of all people. That should be interesting. Nasty was a bit boring, but after I heard how good some of the other stuff was, Nasty just became like a throwback to their old stuff for me. I am happy with the direction they are going and I have that new album pre-ordered.

------------------
Smile_Price is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 09:58 AM   #9
CallAndResponse
Soundscaper
CallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 4210

Much like the Daft Punk album I rate it will be an average piece of work which everyone will hype out to be the best electronic music album ever made. Any old school artists who release music in the current EDM scene are automatically labelled as gods who can do no wrong, the real "pioneers" showing the scene what "real" electronic music is (not). These artists could release anything and it will be well received by the masses. I do sincerely hope though that this album will be good but I have my doubts that it will end up just like that overrated Daft Punk Album.
CallAndResponse is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 10:02 AM   #10
badmotor
Savage Mad Cunt
badmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MC
MC Status: 31160

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
Chinese Democracy 2.
Brutal.

------------------
badmotor is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 07:04 PM   #11
fidelium
IDMf Artist
fidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MC
¯\(°_o)/¯
Thanked 3,361 Times in 1,853 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallAndResponse View Post
Much like the Daft Punk album I rate it will be an average piece of work which everyone will hype out to be the best electronic music album ever made.
Where was this said?

------------------
banewaker.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTD View Post
A few months back I noted this place was taking a turn for a worse, too much 4Chan and not enough Autechre.
fidelium is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to fidelium
thom (28-02-2015)
Old 28-02-2015, 08:28 PM   #12
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
Vlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MC
In the corn.
MC Status: 421869379
Thanked 4,828 Times in 2,790 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallAndResponse View Post
Much like the Daft Punk album I rate it will be an average piece of work which everyone will hype out to be the best electronic music album ever made. Any old school artists who release music in the current EDM scene are automatically labelled as gods who can do no wrong, the real "pioneers" showing the scene what "real" electronic music is (not). These artists could release anything and it will be well received by the masses. I do sincerely hope though that this album will be good but I have my doubts that it will end up just like that overrated Daft Punk Album.
Hey now, it's not THEIR fault that EDM sucks.

------------------
Pay-what-you-want albums at bandcamp.
Soundcloud
Facebook
Vlantis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 10:46 PM   #13
Mctoast
Savage Mad Cunt
Mctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MC
MC Status: 38897

I liked Evil lurks and Experience, but all their other stuff is just garbage. I bet this will be shit as well.

------------------
Mctoast is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 01:44 AM   #14
Mizuchi
Savage Mad Cunt
Beertown

I only ever heard about Daft Punk being great producer during their whole Technologic/Around the World moment. Get Lucky was awesome and it got charted, but no one was calling them genius. The only time they've been overhyped was for the soundtrack of Tron: Legacy. I fucking loved the soundtrack, but some critics called it revolutionary and that was pushing it, it was just really good.

As for The Prodigy, yeah, I have a feeling they might get overhyped. It's what happened with Aphex's Syro, kinda ruined it for me. I honestly hope The Prodigy give us a more novel voice of their music than fucking "Nasty"!!!

------------------
Thanks to Mizuchi
fidelium (01-03-2015)
Old 01-03-2015, 08:01 AM   #15
fidelium
IDMf Artist
fidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MC
¯\(°_o)/¯
Thanked 3,361 Times in 1,853 Posts

It's so easy for people like us to be disappointed in new things by people some of us used to love, but for some reason I feel this perspective is skewed and jaded.

Tbh I'm neither hyped or expecting much from prodigy. Now if it were Chem bros....

------------------
banewaker.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTD View Post
A few months back I noted this place was taking a turn for a worse, too much 4Chan and not enough Autechre.
fidelium is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to fidelium
Mizuchi (01-03-2015)
Old 01-03-2015, 12:59 PM   #16
Stich
Savage Mad Cunt
Stich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MC
Keep Colorado Springs Lame
MC Status: 47360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banewaker View Post
It's so easy for people like us to be disappointed in new things by people some of us used to love, but for some reason I feel this perspective is skewed and jaded.

Tbh I'm neither hyped or expecting much from prodigy. Now if it were Chem bros....
Agree on all points.
Stich is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:40 AM   #17
CallAndResponse
Soundscaper
CallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 4210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banewaker View Post
Where was this said?
Its the mainstream consensus. You're not going to find it being said on this forum. That being said I probably should have phrased it as "one of the best" as "the best" is probably exaggerating a little.
CallAndResponse is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 11:32 AM   #18
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6898609
Thanked 3,388 Times in 2,052 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizuchi View Post
I only ever heard about Daft Punk being great producer during their whole Technologic/Around the World moment. Get Lucky was awesome and it got charted, but no one was calling them genius. The only time they've been overhyped was for the soundtrack of Tron: Legacy. I fucking loved the soundtrack, but some critics called it revolutionary and that was pushing it, it was just really good.
I don't know what press you were reading but the general consensus on Get Lucky was that Giorgio Moroder Daft Punk are geniuses. As for Tron, well it was revolutionary of Disney to employ Daft Punk to produce a soundtrack for a family film. Have you even listened to the original Tron score?

This soundtrack to a blockbuster sci-fi movie is the very definition of revolutionary as it did away with over the top John Williams symphonic arrangements and instead went back to the roots of science fiction scoring: electronic music. On the one hand, you have Vangelis' Blade Runner score and on the other you have Daft Punk's Tron score. What is there in between?

But of course, obviously film critics know nothing about film because they don't listen to electronic music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizuchi View Post
As for The Prodigy, yeah, I have a feeling they might get overhyped.
Man, I don't know what album it was but they released it about a decade ago. I went to the local album launch and I just remember hearing the album in its entirety and thinking, "Liam has fucking lost it." Any praise for anything they've done since Fat of the Land is hype. That was the last good thing they did.

------------------
For reference:
Quote:
Originally Posted by God*

satan = f i d
my master, my god, my lord and savior = f i d d y
my boner = f i d e l i u m

* I am not God.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 02:32 PM   #19
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
Vlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MC
In the corn.
MC Status: 421869379
Thanked 4,828 Times in 2,790 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
As for Tron, well it was revolutionary of Disney to employ Daft Punk to produce a soundtrack for a family film. Have you even listened to the original Tron score?

This soundtrack to a blockbuster sci-fi movie is the very definition of revolutionary as it did away with over the top John Williams symphonic arrangements and instead went back to the roots of science fiction scoring: electronic music. On the one hand, you have Vangelis' Blade Runner score and on the other you have Daft Punk's Tron score. What is there in between?
Not sure what you're trying to say here. The original Tron soundtrack WAS electronic (Wendy Carlos), and the roots of sci-fi music wasn't electronic, it was orchestral like everything in film. Forbidden Planet was the first electronic soundtrack, but even after that, the majority of soundtracks were orchestral. There were a whole hell of a lot of electronic scores in between Blade Runner and Tron Legacy (Sunshine is predominantly electronic), but most of the time used as a cost-cutting measure (and not relegated to just sci-fi. Sooooo many horror films as well as others).

------------------
Pay-what-you-want albums at bandcamp.
Soundcloud
Facebook
Vlantis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 02:53 PM   #20
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6898609
Thanked 3,388 Times in 2,052 Posts

It's one thing for a film score to incorporate electronic elements, it's another to do a complete score. And as you said, electronic music has predominantly been used as a cost cutting measure. That's why they said it was revolutionary for a big budget blockbuster to let a couple of French robots score a the whole film.

Truth be told, I love the original film more than Tron Legacy because I grew up with it. From a sound design perspective, I could watch Legacy again and again. I actually got a real kick out of it because I'd just come off a semester of projects looking at the sound design in Tron when Legacy came out. The way the score and the foley completely captures how digital their reality is is totally awesome. Don't get me wrong, the sound design in the original Tron is pretty cool, but limited by the technology of the day and let down by its acoustic elements.

And... So electronic!

At least this one has a few synths in it but.

Mostly this is down to the acoustic limitations of electronic audio production at the time and a big budget production house like Disney wouldn't have taken a chance on producing a soundtrack that they couldn't guarantee would carry the gravitas of something backed by a symphony. Thankfully times have changed.

But yeah that's where I was coming from. Not claiming to be an expert. Just understand why everyone raves about that score. Turn up the 5.1, crank the sub and strap in. The stereo soundtrack on the other hand, is shit.

Advertisements

------------------
For reference:
Quote:
Originally Posted by God*

satan = f i d
my master, my god, my lord and savior = f i d d y
my boner = f i d e l i u m

* I am not God.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote