[Techno / Tech House] Stereo Surgeon - Fog (Project Thread)
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 01-13-2015, 02:55 AM   #1
Stereo Surgeon
Savage Mad Cunt
Stereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MC
Bumblefuck, GA
MC Status: 12606174
[Techno / Tech House] Stereo Surgeon - Fog (Project Thread)

The start of something chunky and funky that feels like a 1605 track.
Always wanted to make a tech track, and the baseline just seemed to work with it.

More edits to come this edit is a bit driven and raw

Advertisements

------------------
Stereo Surgeon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - [Techno / Tech House] Stereo Surgeon - Fog (Project Thread).
Old 01-13-2015, 10:25 AM   #2
Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
Stercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42346049
Thanked 4,241 Times in 2,764 Posts
Re: [Techno / Tech House] Stereo Surgeon - Fog (Project Thread)

Subscribing to thread to see how this progresses. I like some of the stuff you've posted and interested to see/hear development

------------------
This mind intentionally blank.
Stercogburn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 03:59 PM   #3
Evoava
Sample Destroyer
Evoava has a reputation beyond reputeEvoava has a reputation beyond reputeEvoava has a reputation beyond reputeEvoava has a reputation beyond reputeEvoava has a reputation beyond reputeEvoava has a reputation beyond reputeEvoava has a reputation beyond reputeEvoava has a reputation beyond reputeEvoava has a reputation beyond reputeEvoava has a reputation beyond reputeEvoava has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2110

Sounds like a start! Come up with something catchy.

Interesting how you have a different SC profile for your secondary stuff. Good idea.

------------------
Some IDM for the IDM forum

Me Soundclewd
Evoava is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 04:45 PM   #4
Benwaa

i have nothing more to say other than i really love this track, good stuff indeed, look forward to the finished article
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 05:20 PM   #5
Headpilot
Knob Twiddler
Headpilot has a reputation beyond reputeHeadpilot has a reputation beyond reputeHeadpilot has a reputation beyond reputeHeadpilot has a reputation beyond reputeHeadpilot has a reputation beyond reputeHeadpilot has a reputation beyond reputeHeadpilot has a reputation beyond reputeHeadpilot has a reputation beyond reputeHeadpilot has a reputation beyond reputeHeadpilot has a reputation beyond reputeHeadpilot has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2960

Yup, that offbeat low reverbed stab is nice. Good percussion.
Headpilot is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 09:58 PM   #6
Brockelmonster
Minor Glitch
Brockelmonster is on a distinguished road
Phoenix, AZ
MC Status: 10

yup this is my type of music. when that percussion comes in it's kickin! could loop that up and listen to that for a whiiiiile haha
Brockelmonster is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 12:54 AM   #7
Kdeejay
Kdeejay will become famous soon enoughKdeejay will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 131

So how did it progress? and what synth are you using for Bass? cheers

------------------
-KoZY-
_________
Latest track:
Kdeejay is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:23 AM   #8
Stereo Surgeon
Savage Mad Cunt
Stereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MC
Bumblefuck, GA

Added a good bit more percussion and a few more synths, proly gonna work on diversifying the melody soon, but just getting the sound design and drums together.

Its muddy as fuck right now on the low end, but I'm not worring about all that for now. I'll cross that bridge when it comes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdeejay View Post
So how did it progress? and what synth are you using for Bass? cheers
It kinda started simply because where I live now. As of recently I live on a lake by myself with my dog as company, its way out in the country, and during the winter the lake effect from heat transfer causes crazy amounts of fog. Due to this the fog at night makes going outside pretty fucking terrifying.

I'll be walking my dog sometimes after dark and there is shit in the woods that knows where you are, and you have no fucking idea where it is. mostly coyotes and deer, but there are sometimes black bear and rarely bobcats that have wandered down from the mountains. You never see bobcats tho, even when there around you would never know. fucking ninjas.

I generally base all my songs around stuff like that, and that's what this one is about.
Shit u don't know about, in the fog watching you.

as for the progression, I listen to a lot of techno and even tho I tried to produce some darker industrial style stuff at first, it ended up more tech house like, more the UMEK style of techno rather than Drum Code stuff.

The core of the main bass synth is actually pretty simple, its two synths layered ones a simple square operator patch. The other is a Fab Filter twin patch with two squares with slightly different sync settings hard panned against each other.
The processing is a bit complex. its some eq/distortion/reverb/delay/eq/more distortion then compressors with some parallel processing going on.

Its all combined in a instrument rack, and I actually took the time to map macros for the builds, which I'm normally too lazy to do.

Generally all my synths are Instrument racks of a lot of different shit cobbled together, and in this case I really just used the oscillators and envelopes from the software synths, the rest was done with separate VSTs.

------------------
Old 01-19-2015, 07:59 PM   #9
SKYCORE
IDMf Artist
SKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MC
like them hoes
MC Status: 51660
Thanked 1,033 Times in 743 Posts

love love, its good darkness. with a tight low end, when you get around to it, it'll be dope. the riff doesn't lose my interest either the way it is. bleak, foggy, catchy.

and thanks for the track inspiration/production info too.

and cool pixs
SKYCORE is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:50 PM   #10
Minev
Minor Glitch
Minev will become famous soon enoughMinev will become famous soon enough
London
MC Status: 110

Dude, I absolutely love this! That low stab in particular is orgasmic!
It sounds pretty finished to me - I don't know what else you plan to do to it but I'll be back to listen again.
I'd only recommend making the ending a bit more exciting somehow.

------------------
Minev is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:42 PM   #11
Stereo Surgeon
Savage Mad Cunt
Bumblefuck, GA

Cleaned up the drum and added some more FX and little things here and there.

Doubled and droped the main synth and octave for the climax choruses, layered a bit moar.

Shits getting there, Needs a bit more energy at the peaks, so thats proly the next stop on the production line.

------------------
Old 01-20-2015, 11:22 PM   #12
B4nAfter
Regular Freak
B4nAfter is on a distinguished road
Cincinnati, Ohio

Really like it. You got some really interesting sounds in there. That bass in the first drop is pretty raw too, i like it. One idea came to mind, and you can take it or leave it: At around 1:50 you have some kind of a ping pong delay and/or panning right before the second drop. I think it would be a nice touch to have that panning from left to right get faster and faster for those 2 or 3 seconds before the drop and then just release that tension.
Nice work on the whole thing though, it's good stuff.
B4nAfter is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 01:00 AM   #13
Dawsi
Minor Glitch
Dawsi has a spectacular aura aboutDawsi has a spectacular aura about
London
MC Status: 160

I am a massive techno fan and frequent most of the awakenings and drumcode events. Your track is very, very cool but the drums are not constant enough. You have the rhythmical hypnotic sound going on perfectly, just modulate the lead and other parts of the song but leave the drum in for people to do the standing march to. Where you have high energy in the song is brilliant. You could let simply copy/paste and duplicate it, let it roll on for longer and easily increase the length of your track to 6 min. Remember we haven't heard the track before ....

Very good work!

Last edited by Dawsi; 01-22-2015 at 01:06 AM..
Dawsi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 01:06 AM   #14
SquareTheCircle
Microknight
SquareTheCircle is a glorious beacon of lightSquareTheCircle is a glorious beacon of lightSquareTheCircle is a glorious beacon of lightSquareTheCircle is a glorious beacon of lightSquareTheCircle is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawsi View Post
I am a massive techno fan and frequent most of the awakenings and drumcode events. Your track is very, very cool but the drums are not constant enough. You have the rhythmical hypnotic sound going on perfectly, just modulate the lead and other parts of the song but leave the drum in for people to do the standing march to.

Very good work.
Agreed. And in doing so make the track longer. 5 - 6 minutes. Just let those drum sections marinate.
SquareTheCircle is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 05:39 AM   #15
Stereo Surgeon
Savage Mad Cunt
Bumblefuck, GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawsi View Post
I am a massive techno fan and frequent most of the awakenings and drumcode events. Your track is very, very cool but the drums are not constant enough. You have the rhythmical hypnotic sound going on perfectly, just modulate the lead and other parts of the song but leave the drum in for people to do the standing march to. Where you have high energy in the song is brilliant. You could let simply copy/paste and duplicate it, let it roll on for longer and easily increase the length of your track to 6 min. Remember we haven't heard the track before ....

Very good work!
Totally know what your you mean, and the lack of consistent dance-able drums was one of my concerns when I listened to it after a day break from sessions.

It kinda kills me, because the kinda events you mentioned are like my dream audience, and my whole live performances career up to now has been impatient American young adults. These yuppies want transitions and drops all the time, and will clear the floor if you play out a 64 measure chorus or build track. That whole mindset has been imprinted in my production, so all my song structure is truncated. I mentioned this in thread about techno a wile back.

The plan (I think) is to build up the kinda hypnotic Driving Forces style hat and percussion force and carry it through the bridges rather than clearing the drums.

IDK if I can get it to 6 mins and maintain the energy, but I'll listen to some tracks that make it work and see if I can give it the stretch.

Spot on advice man, really appreciate it.

------------------
Old 01-22-2015, 09:03 AM   #16
gatefour
Sample Destroyer
gatefour is a name known to allgatefour is a name known to allgatefour is a name known to allgatefour is a name known to allgatefour is a name known to allgatefour is a name known to all
MC Status: 560

yeah, this is pretty cool sounding so far and could turn into something great!

have you tried this with a slightly boomier kick, and crank up the reverb on it a bit... dunno why, just a suggestion, could be awful :O

just for some reason that lead just screams a booming reverby kick + some warehouse vibes

------------------
Gate Four

Soundcloud // Bandcamp // Luminance EP

gatefour is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 10:24 AM   #17
Dawsi
Minor Glitch
Dawsi has a spectacular aura aboutDawsi has a spectacular aura about
London
MC Status: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereo Surgeon View Post
IDK if I can get it to 6 mins and maintain the energy, but I'll listen to some tracks that make it work and see if I can give it the stretch.
copy/paste? At least have a longer version if you reach out to European labels.

Like the other chap said fittingly "let it marinate" ....

Techno is about hypnosis and feeling. You don't really listen to techno with your ears on the dancefloor, rather, you feel it with your body! The rhythmical sound is there for your your brain to be entertained but once you are on the hypnotic march it matters little, as long as you have the drum pulsating through your guts. You have that right sound, just elongate it. :-)
Dawsi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 06:10 PM   #18
Brockelmonster
Minor Glitch
Brockelmonster is on a distinguished road
Phoenix, AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereo Surgeon View Post
Totally know what your you mean, and the lack of consistent dance-able drums was one of my concerns when I listened to it after a day break from sessions.

It kinda kills me, because the kinda events you mentioned are like my dream audience, and my whole live performances career up to now has been impatient American young adults. These yuppies want transitions and drops all the time, and will clear the floor if you play out a 64 measure chorus or build track. That whole mindset has been imprinted in my production, so all my song structure is truncated. I mentioned this in thread about techno a wile back.
I'm part of that demographic of young American's and we are not all like that I promise! Although the overwhelming majority are and it sucks. Regardless, keep up the good work.
Brockelmonster is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 05:45 PM   #19
Stereo Surgeon
Savage Mad Cunt
Bumblefuck, GA

Took a stab at a more appropriate intro, still not feeling it 100%, so proly gonna keep working on kick and bass.
Lots of work on this one, lots of banging my head against a wall with failed ideas.

But, reworked kick and added 2 new synths for the intro, one kinda rolling techno bass, and a large wider build bass.

LOTS of percussion added, still not quite happy with the drums, but it better.
Most percussion channels I've ever had on a project, so for sure new ground for me.

Cheers

Last edited by Stereo Surgeon; 01-31-2015 at 05:58 PM..

------------------
Old 02-13-2015, 11:51 AM   #20
Stereo Surgeon
Savage Mad Cunt
Bumblefuck, GA

Spent so many hours re-writing, re-patching, wracking my brain trying to make an intro that would work.

And I really didn't like the previous one at all, so I went a quite different route, and I think this one is gonna be the one. Really happy with the energy tension going on, and the driving bass layers are intense as fuck.

Also found an old ass photo from 1938 that just might be the future song art of the track

Advertisements

------------------

[Techno / Tech House] Stereo Surgeon - Fog (Project Thread) Tags
edit tags, i'll take the 2x4 salad with a side of dog hair