2015 New tutorials, Time for any topic requests
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Tutorials Section Found or written an interesting tutorial recently? Share it here.

Old 03-01-2015, 12:52 PM   #1
Stereo Surgeon
Savage Mad Cunt
Stereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MC
Bumblefuck, GA
MC Status: 12606174
2015 New tutorials, Time for any topic requests

Finally have some time to dedicate to tutorials, and have some standard courses laid out for the nabs in live 9, but I wanted to ask you guys about which of the more advanced topics you would like me to cover.

Let me know what you would like to know more about.

To give you guys some ideas here are some sound design request that I will be covering in Q1

Hardstyle Kicks
Trap Kicks and basslines
Organic Synthesis with third party synths
EQ types
Advanced organic sampling/re-sampling (noise extraction, sound shaping)

And some microphone tutorials.

Shotguns and how to use them
Lavaliers and how to use them

I'm open to shit I don't know that well too, so if there are some fringe tech topics you are curious about I would mention em too.

Advertisements

------------------
Stereo Surgeon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 03:47 PM   #2
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644118
Thanked 4,897 Times in 3,160 Posts
Re: 2015 New tutorials, Time for any topic requests

How about effect racks, chain selector, and frequency splitting in racks?

Could all be done in one tut.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to RFJ
Stereo Surgeon (04-01-2015)
Old 04-01-2015, 01:19 AM   #3
Stereo Surgeon
Savage Mad Cunt
Stereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MC
Bumblefuck, GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
How about effect racks, chain selector, and frequency splitting in racks?

Could all be done in one tut.
Ah a great idea, effect racks have so many possibilities often overlooked, so this would be a really informative tut for a lot of folks.

Custom multiband distortion and compression units could be cool too, completely made from native live 9 stuff.

Thanks RFJ, exactly the kinda input I was looking for!

------------------
Old 04-01-2015, 12:38 PM   #4
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/¯¯¯¯¯\/\
MC Status: 389883256
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,084 Posts

One thing that gets brought up a lot is the issue of tracks/master levels, gain staging...basically just where do people start with their levels when they begin a new project. Best practices for keeping the Master at a reasonable level - especially if there's dB requirements from a mastering engineer.
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 04:58 PM   #5
Stereo Surgeon
Savage Mad Cunt
Bumblefuck, GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by scyn View Post
One thing that gets brought up a lot is the issue of tracks/master levels, gain staging...basically just where do people start with their levels when they begin a new project. Best practices for keeping the Master at a reasonable level - especially if there's dB requirements from a mastering engineer.
Yea I've noticed this in a lot of question threads... its just really a bit of simple DSP theory.

I plan on mentioning it in my intro course regarding compression and introduction to in the box bedroom studio mix/master.

Saddly I think its something that we all learn eventually and ignore at the beginning. The whole quieter mix for a louder master really doesn't make into newbies heads. Also most start out producing and composing into a master bus compressor without understand really what it does, so there is a lot of potential for growth, but I fear its not an easy one to take into practice.

That said I will try to make a clear example with side-by-side comparisons, so people can hear what they are missing.

On another note, something I have seen virtually nothing made about sample/program-file/vst/dll file structure and organizing.

IMO this is critical for a fast workflow especially with a large sample library, and its is often skipped leaving people to learn it the hard way.
There is a shit ton of windows functionality that can be well utilized to help with this in and out of the DAW.

------------------
Old 08-01-2015, 05:25 PM   #6
WillyZi
Digital Surfer
WillyZi is a savage MCWillyZi is a savage MCWillyZi is a savage MCWillyZi is a savage MCWillyZi is a savage MCWillyZi is a savage MCWillyZi is a savage MCWillyZi is a savage MCWillyZi is a savage MCWillyZi is a savage MCWillyZi is a savage MC
Chicago,
MC Status: 4460777

Side Chaining frequencies?

---
I'll try my very best to clarify what I mean.
Lets say I have a synth that has a very deep bass and treble. But I want the Bass Frequencies to duck when the kick hits, and the High to remain.

Make sense?

------------------
Listen @ Soundcloud
Follow @ Twitter
[Why X NoT] **Emotional Experimental**
WillyZi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:58 PM   #7
Stereo Surgeon
Savage Mad Cunt
Bumblefuck, GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyZi View Post
Side Chaining frequencies?

---
I'll try my very best to clarify what I mean.
Lets say I have a synth that has a very deep bass and treble. But I want the Bass Frequencies to duck when the kick hits, and the High to remain.

Make sense?
Absolutely, this is something that works into what RFJ mentioned.
The term your looking for is multi-band sidechaining, and this can be achieved with native live plugins.

There is passive and active ways of doing this too. I will likely Include this with the tut about creating multiband units with FX racks.

------------------
Thanks to Stereo Surgeon
RFJ (11-01-2015)
Old 30-01-2015, 04:42 PM   #8
GravityBox
Minor Glitch
GravityBox is a jewel in the roughGravityBox is a jewel in the roughGravityBox is a jewel in the roughGravityBox is a jewel in the rough
Minnesota
MC Status: 310

I like what has already been mentioned, one thing I can never get enough of though is performing a song live. Not sure if that is something you have experience with, but I aspire to be able to play electronic music much like a conventional musician performs a song.

I have seen some stuff on how to strip the effects off of your finished track and bounce it all to audio so you can play it in session view in Live, and then reapply the effects on top of the audio so you can still control and manipulate the sound a little, but I always want to learn some extra trips to give a live performance of a song more room to get creative without sucking up a ton of CPU
GravityBox is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to GravityBox
RFJ (30-01-2015)
Old 30-01-2015, 07:20 PM   #9
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644118
Thanked 4,897 Times in 3,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravityBox View Post
I like what has already been mentioned, one thing I can never get enough of though is performing a song live. Not sure if that is something you have experience with, but I aspire to be able to play electronic music much like a conventional musician performs a song.

I have seen some stuff on how to strip the effects off of your finished track and bounce it all to audio so you can play it in session view in Live, and then reapply the effects on top of the audio so you can still control and manipulate the sound a little, but I always want to learn some extra trips to give a live performance of a song more room to get creative without sucking up a ton of CPU
Being as I'm knee deep in making my first live set I'd be very interested in seeing this as well.

@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
; When you start getting these tutorials uploaded you'll update this space so we don't miss them yes? Also could you link your channel for us now so I could just have a look?

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2015, 07:34 PM   #10
Stereo Surgeon
Savage Mad Cunt
Bumblefuck, GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravityBox View Post

Good idea, often I do suto-performances of songs to get an idea of how to arange the track.

For example I'll get the climax and build idea loops finalized in session view and do a 5-15min performance of them with record on to try out possible transitions to take to the final arrangement.

In terms of stripping back and doing a performance of a finished track I have little experience with that, but I will include my take of it in the tutorial.

@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
: I'll post em to this thread once I get em edited and uploaded, also my youtube channel is in my signature.

------------------
Old 14-05-2015, 04:43 AM   #11
matuto
Granular Poster
matuto will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

I would like to see some tutorials about sound design about bass, perc, effects noises etc =) it would be neat
matuto is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 11:33 AM   #12
CoherencePromo
Regular Freak
CoherencePromo is a jewel in the roughCoherencePromo is a jewel in the roughCoherencePromo is a jewel in the rough
London
MC Status: 260

Would like to see neuro bass sound design tutorials.
CoherencePromo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 05:18 PM   #13
MonoReaction
Granular Poster
MonoReaction is a name known to allMonoReaction is a name known to allMonoReaction is a name known to allMonoReaction is a name known to allMonoReaction is a name known to allMonoReaction is a name known to all
Brasília
MC Status: 610

I like the idea of a tutorial about gain staging/master levels...
MonoReaction is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 01:32 AM   #14
ILikeHorses
Granular Poster
ILikeHorses is a splendid one to beholdILikeHorses is a splendid one to beholdILikeHorses is a splendid one to beholdILikeHorses is a splendid one to beholdILikeHorses is a splendid one to beholdILikeHorses is a splendid one to beholdILikeHorses is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 810

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoReaction View Post
I like the idea of a tutorial about gain staging/master levels...
+1 to this, is hard to find a in-depth tutorial about this. i think is a good request.

Advertisements

ILikeHorses is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote