Usage of WAVES L3 Maximizer?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 11-30-2014, 09:27 PM   #1
kostistlac
Granular Poster
kostistlac is a splendid one to beholdkostistlac is a splendid one to beholdkostistlac is a splendid one to beholdkostistlac is a splendid one to beholdkostistlac is a splendid one to beholdkostistlac is a splendid one to beholdkostistlac is a splendid one to behold
Bratislava
MC Status: 810
Usage of WAVES L3 Maximizer?

Hi guys, can you help me and link some video tutorial, about using WAVES L3 multimaximizer. Im sharing this two:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

but im not much smarter after i watch them. Maybe im idiot ... but i need exact information how to use it. THANX

Advertisements

kostistlac is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:39 PM   #2
Evelon
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214387348
Thanked 2,778 Times in 1,736 Posts
Re: ... using of WAVES L3 Maximizer

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:08 PM   #3
kostistlac
Granular Poster
kostistlac is a splendid one to beholdkostistlac is a splendid one to beholdkostistlac is a splendid one to beholdkostistlac is a splendid one to beholdkostistlac is a splendid one to beholdkostistlac is a splendid one to beholdkostistlac is a splendid one to behold
Bratislava

... thanx, but im musician, i need few simple steps how to usw it.

1. how big must be headroom when im rendering track from ableton ... somebody is talking about -6dB, somebody - 12dB
2. how to get this headroom ... by using limiter on master? ... it can degradate the sound, im i wrong?
3. im realy confused by the clipping when i use the compressor ... is it ok if compressor output is clipping?
4. when i start the mastering proces, i open track in WAVELAB, then i get the peak and i process gain to ZERO. Is it OK?
5. Than i open maximizer L3 and load preset HQ CD mastering and render track with this preset ... is it OK?

is there anybody to tell me if im doing something wrong.

THANX

Last edited by kostistlac; 11-30-2014 at 10:17 PM..
Old 11-30-2014, 10:44 PM   #4
Evelon
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC

You should look into gain-staging before reading up on multi-band maximizers.

------------------
Old 11-30-2014, 11:59 PM   #5
kostistlac
Granular Poster
Bratislava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelon View Post
You should look into gain-staging before reading up on multi-band maximizers.
... of course im doing gain staging, but i forget to write it to my 5 steps so lets say is step ZERO

0. Gain staging
1. how big must be headroom when im rendering track from ableton ... somebody is talking about -6dB, somebody - 12dB
2. how to get this headroom ... by using limiter on master? ... it can degradate the sound, im i wrong?
3. im realy confused by the clipping when i use the compressor ... is it ok if compressor output is clipping?
4. when i start the mastering proces, i open track in WAVELAB, then i get the peak and i process gain to ZERO. Is it OK?
5. Than i open maximizer L3 and load preset HQ CD mastering and render track with this preset ... is it OK?
Old 12-01-2014, 12:16 AM   #6
Evelon

1) it doesn't matter if it's -6dB or -12dB. As long as you have some headroom.

2) you turn things down (channels, subgroups and/or master)

3) no, it's usually not OK to clip the compressor output.

4) do you mean you normalize?

5) that depends. Does it sound good? You might get even better results if you (or a dedicated mastering engineer) go "hmm, this track needs this and this and that...and less of this and this and that" and then goes to work on it.

Again - gain-staging.
You seem to be pretty lost. Start there.

------------------
Thanks to Evelon
Alert (12-03-2014)
Old 12-01-2014, 12:44 AM   #7
lebeux
IDMf Artist
lebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MC
Madrid
MC Status: 59126926

normalizing before you slam a compressor with enough makeup gain to have the output clip, followed by an "EDM squisher" maximiser preset on your track will totally take it to the next level

keep doing it
lebeux is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 05:13 AM   #8
Alert
Soundscaper
Alert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond repute
Oblivion Fringe
MC Status: 4221

LOL

------------------
Alert is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 10:47 AM   #9
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6893359
Thanked 3,283 Times in 1,994 Posts

Ev's bang on the money.

It's unfortunate that so many people seem to go out and shell out all of this money for L3 products when they shouldn't even be using them in the first place. You're a musician, you're better off buying a guitar bro.

Limiting, let alone multi-band compression, isn't a process where you input x, then get y. If you're trying to get a different result than what went in, then you're doing it wrong. It's more like input z, then get z. Yes, you can make things sound louder. Maybe you might be able to smooth a few things out, but there's not much else you can achieve.

Like Ev said, if you're not getting the sound you want, go back to the mix.

------------------
For reference:
Quote:
Originally Posted by God*

satan = f i d
my master, my god, my lord and savior = f i d d y
my boner = f i d e l i u m

* I am not God.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Jaded
kostistlac (12-04-2014)
Old 12-05-2014, 12:02 PM   #10
Mojel
Minor Glitch
Mojel will become famous soon enough
Near Boston
MC Status: 60

He sounds like hes just using the L3 to get his demos up to a listenable level. Basically you want your mix peaking at around -6db, each band on the L3 should only be taking off around 2-3db. Use the main limiter to bring the mix up to around 0db and there you have it.

Advertisements

Mojel is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Mojel
kostistlac (12-05-2014)