recommendations for website hosting
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 01-10-2014, 04:35 PM   #1
Yzarc
Savage Mad Cunt
Yzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MC
MC Status: 30760
recommendations for website hosting

Hey guys! I have cancelled my soundcloud sub and am thinking of registering my own domain for my own email and website. How do YOU do YOURS? Recommendations of hosting companies/registrars, including prices, are welcome! Bearing in mind I'd need to be able to build a website, which I am not at all skilled at so would need it to be as simple as possible so the cost would need to include a website builder - I currently have a free website with Wix.

I am doing research myself but I want people's experiences both good and bad. Thanks

Advertisements

------------------
** UTTERLY FECKIN' BRILLIANT TUNE **
https://soundcloud.com/windfallen/kernow

coming soon on my label ....I wish
Yzarc is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:58 PM   #2
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8519130
Thanked 6,564 Times in 4,685 Posts
Re: recommendations for website hosting

The an easy suggestion I can recommend is to register on GoDaddy and setup a Wordpress site with them with a free template. The easiest would be register a domain with anyone and and host through Wordpress itself. I'm not sure you get a ton of storage and I'm not sure you can get an email @your.com

The latter will cost
~12 dollars a year for a .com reg
~13 dollars a year for the DNS registration through wordpress.com

You can buy more options from wordpress, but I haven't looked into it. I just link people to bandcamp. Alternatively I think AEP pays about 15 dollars a quarter for a Mediafire account. You can also use free dropbox etc to link to music downloads.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
Yzarc (01-10-2014)
Old 01-10-2014, 07:27 PM   #3
Kaede
Imperator Furiosa
Kaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MC
MC Status: 52987903
Thanked 1,115 Times in 647 Posts

Fasthosts.co.uk, I've been with them years and never had any issues
Kaede is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Kaede
Yzarc (01-10-2014)
Old 01-10-2014, 07:42 PM   #4
Yzarc
Savage Mad Cunt
Yzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MC

Thanks Kaede. Gee that site is so cheap! Yet it includes email, free domain and website builder. How come it's so cheap?

------------------

Thanks to Yzarc
Kaede (01-10-2014)
Old 01-10-2014, 08:00 PM   #5
Kaede
Imperator Furiosa
Kaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MC
MC Status: 52987903
Thanked 1,115 Times in 647 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikkiSho View Post
Thanks Kaede. Gee that site is so cheap! Yet it includes email, free domain and website builder. How come it's so cheap?
I think they're a major player in the UK hosting game, their service certainly doesn't suffer for what it costs.
Kaede is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:11 PM   #6
Yzarc
Savage Mad Cunt

Muchos Thankos

------------------

Old 07-10-2014, 12:36 AM   #7
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
NewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MC
Texas
MC Status: 19210

I have been looking in to this lately also, and I have found it depends. Are you going for a small business or a big one? How much traffic do you plan on getting and all of that jazz?

I think a website builder that links to social media is fine, but I think with wix the html5 is not compatible with all browsers. A web builder is less time than say a web host, but if you have the time and knowledge or money then I'd recommend using wordpress and like "A small orange", "Hostgator", or "squarespace". I'd say find out what you need before spending money though. I made the mistake of going straight into something that was way to much from the start like a year or two ago, and I'd recommend doing research so you dont do what I did.

------------------
NewWorldOrder is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 02:35 AM   #8
Yzarc
Savage Mad Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWorldOrder View Post
I have been looking in to this lately also, and I have found it depends. Are you going for a small business or a big one? How much traffic do you plan on getting and all of that jazz?

I think a website builder that links to social media is fine, but I think with wix the html5 is not compatible with all browsers. A web builder is less time than say a web host, but if you have the time and knowledge or money then I'd recommend using wordpress and like "A small orange", "Hostgator", or "squarespace". I'd say find out what you need before spending money though. I made the mistake of going straight into something that was way to much from the start like a year or two ago, and I'd recommend doing research so you dont do what I did.
Thank you very much. Yeah as eager as I am to just get my own domain and get rid of the wix ads, I'm being patient and doing lots of research. I plan on staying with wix, but you say that the html5 doesn't work on all browsers thank you for your other suggestions

------------------

Old 09-10-2014, 04:25 PM   #9
cuticula
Learning The Ropes
cuticula will become famous soon enough
Vienna
MC Status: 60

I use bluehost for a few websites and I am quite satisfied with them. You can grabb one webspace and then buy multiple domains if you have more than one moniker or just want to build more websites. You can install more wordpress or other CMS instances on just one webspace.
cuticula is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to cuticula
Yzarc (09-10-2014)
Old 17-10-2014, 10:53 AM   #10
MiguelSMinnich
Learning The Ropes
MiguelSMinnich is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Thanks for the information. I am also want this.
MiguelSMinnich is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 11:03 AM   #11
fidelium
IDMf Artist
fidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MC
\(_o)/
MC Status: 2147483647
Thanked 3,358 Times in 1,851 Posts

Dreamhost
fidelium is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to fidelium
Yzarc (17-10-2014)
Old 03-02-2015, 06:41 AM   #12
efreezee
Regular Freak
efreezee is currently spamming hard
Phoenix
MC Status: 10

godaddy or network solutions
efreezee is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:41 AM   #13
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 163610
Thanked 3,272 Times in 2,442 Posts

I've used this one before and found them to be really good..not too shabby on the cost front, too. - One.com

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 02:08 PM   #14
Yzarc
Savage Mad Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
I've used this one before and found them to be really good..not too shabby on the cost front, too. - One.com
Are they actually saying 1.something a month? 13 a year, plus one off set up fee and domain fee for the first period? Do they display their own branding?

Wix is 61 a year, 5 a month. And that is for only 2GB.

------------------

Old 03-02-2015, 05:35 PM   #15
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 17460

squarespace dead easy and relatively cheap
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:53 PM   #16
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 163610
Thanked 3,272 Times in 2,442 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikkiSho View Post
Are they actually saying 1.something a month? 13 a year, plus one off set up fee and domain fee for the first period? Do they display their own branding?

Wix is 61 a year, 5 a month. And that is for only 2GB.
The " 1.something a month" is the basic, meaning it depends on the domain name you want to go with..and, tbh, it does cost more once renewal time comes around. I think, if I remember right, it used to cost me about 45 a year all in for a .com address..but that was a few years back..and, no, there is no branding on your site anywhere..it's your site and they respect that. Plus, the support they offer is really good and I got the impression they were more concerned about offering a good solid service..and less with trying to sell you stuff, like so many others tend to do.

You need to taker a look at the prices yourself to be sure what they are offering now..but, yeah, short version is they seem to offer a lot for a little..but like I said, check it out more and see what you think yourself. You can always fire em off a email and they will get back to you fast enough and explain things a lot better than I can.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to A.M
Yzarc (03-02-2015)
Old 03-02-2015, 09:54 PM   #17
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8519130
Thanked 6,564 Times in 4,685 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joem View Post
squarespace dead easy and relatively cheap
Yea. I'm probably switching over to Square Space when I release my next project.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
Yzarc (03-02-2015)
Old 03-02-2015, 10:19 PM   #18
Yzarc
Savage Mad Cunt

Magic, cheers ladies

------------------

Thanks to Yzarc
relic (03-02-2015)
Old 03-02-2015, 10:41 PM   #19
PhantomSignal
Soundscaper
PhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond repute
Sonoma /San Francisco
MC Status: 7460

Quote:
Originally Posted by efreezee View Post
godaddy
Just, NO
PhantomSignal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 10:51 PM   #20
Yzarc
Savage Mad Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomSignal View Post
Just, NO
that's kind of what thought, after I did some research.

Advertisements

------------------

Thanks to Yzarc
PhantomSignal (04-02-2015)