Macbook Pro RAM upgrade
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 09-08-2014, 07:01 PM   #1
SiaKo
Granular Poster
SiaKo is a jewel in the roughSiaKo is a jewel in the roughSiaKo is a jewel in the roughSiaKo is a jewel in the rough
Austin, TX
MC Status: 310
Icon5 Macbook Pro RAM upgrade

Im running a 2009 macbook pro with 4gb (2x2gb) of RAM. I just purchased a single stick of 8gb. Will it effect my laptop any by just running a single vs having duel sticks?

Advertisements

------------------
SiaKo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:17 PM   #2
Andantonius
Sample Destroyer
Andantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 7560
Re: Macbook pro ram upgrade

The number of sticks shouldn't matter as long as the RAM itself is compatible with your machine, so as long as you've done your research and know how to swap them out it should be fine.
Andantonius is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:32 PM   #3
SiaKo
Granular Poster
SiaKo is a jewel in the roughSiaKo is a jewel in the roughSiaKo is a jewel in the roughSiaKo is a jewel in the rough
Austin, TX
Re: Macbook pro ram upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andantonius View Post
The number of sticks shouldn't matter as long as the RAM itself is compatible with your machine, so as long as you've done your research and know how to swap them out it should be fine.
Cool! I kind of figured but wanted a second opinion, Thanks

------------------
Old 09-09-2014, 06:03 PM   #4
KrisM
Ghostly
KrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond repute
TX
MC Status: 7964
Re: Macbook Pro RAM upgrade

You'll lose dual channel capability (minor speed boost) but it should work as long as you can use 8GB in a single slot on that model.

What is the Model ID of your MBP? (click the Apple, select About This Mac).

Most of the 2008-2010 MBPs max at 8GB. The 13.3" 7,1 model supports 16GB, though.

------------------
Meh.
KrisM is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:10 PM   #5
SiaKo
Granular Poster
Austin, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
You'll lose dual channel capability (minor speed boost) but it should work as long as you can use 8GB in a single slot on that model.

What is the Model ID of your MBP? (click the Apple, select About This Mac).

Most of the 2008-2010 MBPs max at 8GB. The 13.3" 7,1 model supports 16GB, though.
Dont have my MBP on me right now but the max is 8gb or else I would have just boosted to the 16GB. Would it make any difference if i just left the original 2gb stick in the with the 8gb even though it only supports a max of 8gb?

------------------
Old 09-10-2014, 05:15 PM   #6
KrisM
Ghostly
KrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond repute
TX
MC Status: 7964

I can't say, I've never tried to use more RAM than a machine can support. It might only recognize the 2GB for all i know

------------------
Meh.
KrisM is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 08:01 PM   #7
PianoMProd
Learning The Ropes
PianoMProd will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

Ok here's what I heard:

I've heard in some case sometimes things mess up (like computer might glitch or not be as fast as it could), but rarely, and imo it's best to just use two sticks. I went with Crucial ram. For what's it worth, the price was only slightly a little higher to get two sticks rather than one.
PianoMProd is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 11:16 PM   #8
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 16310

Sadly it wont work as in all cases if its 8 gig max that means across both dimms (ram slots) you cant max out the full ram capacity on one dimm. It may work for a short term but as the laptop is useing a lot more power to run the full 8 gig it alleviates that power across both slots,( for example as say you went shopping and you bought a load of food and you put it all in one bag but that bag then becomes heavy so you decide to take away some strain and separate that shopping in to two bags and all of a suddon they become better to carry because your removing the strain of all that weight on one arm and levelling it out with both your arms. )That's what happens with your motherboard as well. because it sends the power to one slot it sort of confuses it and basically fucks up your mac eventually so it is always best to get 2 sticks of 4. Also yea check the motherboard and timings of the ram and the mhz speed as well so you know for sure there compatible.

Last edited by joem; 08-12-2015 at 02:05 PM..
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 12:40 AM   #9
vashima
vashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MC
Pocatello, Idaho
MC Status: 13410

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
I can't say, I've never tried to use more RAM than a machine can support. It might only recognize the 2GB for all i know
I haven't done it on a Mac, but on PC's, if your motherboard only supports a certain amount of RAM, that is all it will recognize, regardless of how much you really have in there. I know for a lot of motherboards there are Bios for them that "unlock" the board. This will usually allow you to go crazy with ram.

Advertisements

vashima is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote

Macbook Pro RAM upgrade Tags
macbook pro, ram