Culprate
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

House / Dubstep Discussion of music similar to Deep Dish, Kaskade, Burial, Rusko, Deadmau5.

Old 28-08-2014, 12:20 PM   #1
2DC
Soundwave Mangler
2DC has a reputation beyond repute2DC has a reputation beyond repute2DC has a reputation beyond repute2DC has a reputation beyond repute2DC has a reputation beyond repute2DC has a reputation beyond repute2DC has a reputation beyond repute2DC has a reputation beyond repute2DC has a reputation beyond repute2DC has a reputation beyond repute2DC has a reputation beyond repute
Edinburgh
MC Status: 2960
Culprate

Did anyone else donate money to Culprate for this new "Experimental Album"?

I did, received a few emails of thanks, heard he'd got up to 28,000 to assist in this release but so far we haven't heard the album! The release date was suggested to be June or July this year, it's past then!

Anyone heard anything?

K

Advertisements

2DC is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: not the new Culprate album
Old 28-08-2014, 01:54 PM   #2
iDoG
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
iDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 17760
Re: Culprate

wow, didn't know he was working on this. i'm not a big fan of his dubstep stuff, but 'Colors' was fucking incredible. hope he get this one done soon. definitely curious what he can pull off with real instruments and more updated production (though 'Colors' already sounded pretty great to me).
iDoG is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2014, 08:46 PM   #3
2DC
Soundwave Mangler
2DC has a reputation beyond repute2DC has a reputation beyond repute2DC has a reputation beyond repute2DC has a reputation beyond repute2DC has a reputation beyond repute2DC has a reputation beyond repute2DC has a reputation beyond repute2DC has a reputation beyond repute2DC has a reputation beyond repute2DC has a reputation beyond repute2DC has a reputation beyond repute
Edinburgh

Colors was fantastic yeah, love it.

On 8th April I received this message:
Quote:
We want to let you know that ‘Culprate - The Experimental Album’ has completed funding. They raised 26,824.00 including your contribution!

The campaign team should be in touch shortly with an update on the campaign and to fulfill any perks you have requested. Let your friends know that you helped make this project happen!
And then the last communication was on the 28th of May, saying:
Quote:
Hey pledgers,

We have emailed previously about sending us your names. This is so we can create one big muriel that will include EVERYONES name who has supported the Culprate campaign, as a way for us to say thank you! However we are still waiting for quite a few names to be confirmed.

If you have already sent us an email with your name, then please don't worry. We have received it and it has been logged on our system.

If you still need to send us your name, we would appreciate if you could do so within the week. Unfortunately we have had to put deadline on the 4th June 2014.

Once again, thank you all for being so great! Looking forward to seeing some more names.

Kindest regards,

Team Culprate
Old 31-08-2014, 08:50 PM   #4
2DC
Soundwave Mangler
Edinburgh

...and nothing since then.
Old 31-08-2014, 10:15 PM   #5
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8538630
Thanked 6,954 Times in 4,948 Posts

So why does this guy need money to make a new album, I don't get it?

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2014, 10:21 PM   #6
2DC
Soundwave Mangler
Edinburgh

I imagine it would cover the costs of vinyl pressing, cd burning, distribution and advertising.

26 grand though, just send me the bloody album, moneybags!
Old 31-08-2014, 10:48 PM   #7
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8538630
Thanked 6,954 Times in 4,948 Posts

Yea. I dunno. Haha. Just seems kinda shady to me. Seems an established artist who is making money from his music could front the funds for physical media, then if the album does well he could always print more.

But on the other hand I like the idea of saying "Ok, fans, if you want an new album and want it pressed on vinyl, help a brother out!" Problem is now he has to deliver or he is in deep poop...

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2014, 11:13 PM   #8
2DC
Soundwave Mangler
Edinburgh

Owes me a tenner!
Thanks to 2DC
relic (31-08-2014)
Old 01-09-2014, 01:14 AM   #9
iDoG
iDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MC
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Yea. I dunno. Haha. Just seems kinda shady to me. Seems an established artist who is making money from his music could front the funds for physical media, then if the album does well he could always print more.

But on the other hand I like the idea of saying "Ok, fans, if you want an new album and want it pressed on vinyl, help a brother out!" Problem is now he has to deliver or he is in deep poop...
if you watch the video, you can see he wants to make another experimental album with actual real instruments played by real musicians and recorded in a proper studio. hence the 26 grand. i think he's still cranking out dubstep tunes from his bedroom just fine.

anyway, these kind of more involved projects tend to slip for millions of reasons. he doesn't seem like the kind of guy to rip people off or take this a thing like this lightly. so i'm sure there's a legit reason for the delay. though he definitely could've been more forthright with whatever is happening, instead of keeping people in the dark. that's not exactly professional.
Thanks to iDoG
relic (20-09-2014)
Old 01-09-2014, 05:50 AM   #10
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 80993430
Thanked 4,064 Times in 2,636 Posts

Maybe he's used that money to make Syro
Lug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:01 AM   #11
Dippshoe
cunt
Dippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MC
In an abandoned cave covered by mist in the depths of Jotunheimen.
MC Status: 12810

He just posted this:

Culprate
Just now
We've got a team of 3 people (including myself) doing everything for this album release. Physical product is taking a little bit longer than I thought it would/hoped it would so rather than keep you waiting I'm going to try and send the digital out to everyone this week. Sorry for the lack of updates etc. Cool?

------------------

'Don't be an idiot.' Changed my life.
-Dwight Schrute.
Dippshoe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:02 AM   #12
2DC
Soundwave Mangler
Edinburgh

I await in anticipation!
Old 20-09-2014, 09:43 AM   #13
2DC
Soundwave Mangler
Edinburgh

Finally I got to hear the album yesterday, it's very different from his other material but worth a listen, it's glitchy, melodic and one might say jazzy in places...

Credits:

Produced by John Hislop

Artwork – Thomas McNulty

Bass - Daniel Sonabend

Cello - Max Sweiry

Drums - Danny Cox

Engineering - Glen Burrows and Neil Williams

Flute - Gaura Horn

Guitars - Luke Whicker, Ben weightman, John Hislop and Zes

Hammond - Pete Mills

Harmonium - Govinda Priya

Kora - Josh Doughty

Lyrics by Koda

Percussion - Dauji Thomas and Glen Burrows

Piano - Pete Mills

Rhodes - Pete Mills and Jim Bastow

Sax - SIMPSON!

Ukelele - Ben Weightman

Violin - Tanya Sweiry

Vocals - Koda, Jaggi Suta Das, Emma Wilson and Govinda Priya

This album was entirely funded by individual donations through a crowd-funding website called Indiegogo. I’d like to thank everyone who participated in sharing, funding and responding to the campaign, without whom it wouldn’t have been so successful.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:48 PM   #14
2DC
Soundwave Mangler
Edinburgh

Released today!

Quote:
DELIVERANCE IS OUT NOW

2014 has shown me that there are a lot more people into the strange, conceptual music that I produce than I thought. The reaction to the campaign behind this album was beyond all expectation. I'm really happy to be able to finally share it publicly. Thank you.

As this is being released independently, I need one more favour in that you share/post/spread this playlist to anyone you think might be interested in hearing it.

Or you can buy the album right here: http://smarturl.it/culprate

Bandcamp link coming later today

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...IxSyP1czjlgkYg

------------------
I have nothing new for you to listen to.
Old 10-12-2014, 04:04 PM   #15
iDoG
Chicago

Fuck, Whispers pt 1 is amazing and hits right in the feels. Has a very Shponglish vibe to me. The rest of the album has plenty of awesome moments, but it still didn't have that immediate impact that 'Colors' had. Must be a grower. Regardless, it's still one of hell of an album. Dude got mad talent.
Old 10-12-2014, 04:07 PM   #16
2DC
Soundwave Mangler
Edinburgh

Agreed.

------------------
I have nothing new for you to listen to.
Old 18-12-2014, 10:04 PM   #17
iDoG
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCoB View Post
Must be a grower.
Absolutely. This album is completely stunning. I'll probably go so far as to say this is AOTY for me. I mean... damn!

And Whispers is STILL giving me goosebumps every single time.

Chills...

Advertisements